Question Ryzen 7 2700x RAM Compatibility Issue

rcampbell578

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
So I recently built a new PC to do some graphic design and to some light editing of home movies.

Here's my specs:
Ryzen 7 2700x
32 Gb Ballistix 3200Mhz CL16 RAM
Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite Motherboard
Radeon Sapphire Nitro+ RX 590 Video Card

Here's my issue:
When I first installed the RAM, it auto set to a lower speed. I can't remember what it was, but it was something low like 2133. I went into the bios and loaded the XMP profile and it auto set to 3200 which was great. However, upon rebooting, nothing would post. After a few resets, I finally got into Windows only to get the blue error screen a few seconds later. After some tinkering, I finally got my system stable at 3000Mhz.

Now my motherboard supports RAM up to 3200Mhz, but for whatever reason I can't seem to get my system to run at that speed. So is this something I should be concerned about? Could it be a RAM compatibility with Ryzen? Is this even something I should try to fix? I thought about trying some other brands of RAM to see if I could get it to work, but not sure if I want to go through all the hassle.

Would there be enough of a difference with my processor if I was running my RAM at 3200 instead of 3000? I know Ryzen runs better with fast RAM, just not sure how much of a performance boost I'd actually get and if it would be enough of a boost to make it worth all the hassle.

I've never really had this issue before, and not sure the best way to go about fixing it.

Any suggestions would be great, Thanks!

rcampbell578

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
3000 to 3200mhz is unnoticeable in anything besides benchmarks. With that said you should have no issues running @ 3200mhz. Are you on the latest BIOS for your motherboard? Is the RAM installed in the correct slots?
I've got my RAM installed in slots 1 and 2. I was pretty sure I did, but I just double checked to make sure I read the slot labels correctly.

Not sure about my BIOS, I'll have to check that and see if I'm current. I know I ran an update a few months ago when I first built it. If there's a new update, I'll run it and then try it again.

Thanks for the suggestions.

So if in slots 1 & 2 it sounds that you bought a 2x16 kit which is the best way to go.
Put the ram in slots A2 and B2 2nd and 4th slots working right from the cpu.
reboot set your A-xmp, Docp, Xmp= for you mobo
then set Dram or ram Frequency and save and reboot.
please post back with results.