Question Ryzen 7 3700X Throttling Issues

Sep 8, 2019
I have a 3700x on an Asus TUF-Gaming x570 Plus. The cooler is a Hyper 212 EVO. PBO is enabled from BIOS, and I set a VCore offset of -0.75.

I run around 50C degrees, 4.2Ghz and 1.37V at idle, but when running cinebench r20 I noticed from CPU-Z they dropped to 3.9Ghz and 1.2V while the temps never exceeded 80C. The resulting score is around 4200, which to my knowledge is way below what it should be (around 4700).

I looked everywhere on Google for the answer, but nothing has worked. Running on stock without OC the scores were around 3900. I tried reinstalling windows and installing latest AMD Chipset, but nothing has worked so far.

Any help would be appreciated.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Yeah, that seems to be the general range from what I've seen from others. Does your cpu throttle when running cb?
No, it doesn't, but it only gets up to about 55-57c during an R20 multicore run.
Look at this thread:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ingle-core-clock-speed.3520721/#post-21283142
And specifically this Post for my clock speeds from an R20 run:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...single-core-clock-speed.3520721/post-21279715

What is the temperature in the room where you have your PC ?
Mine stays at around 22-23c (73-74F).
And I have excellent airflow in my case, I have 3 120 mm intake fans, a 120 mm rear exhaust fan and a 140 mm top exhaust fan.

Last edited:

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I would add 2 front intake fans, that should help keep your temps down.
Right now you have Very poor airflow since you don't have any fans bringing cool air into the case.
It supports either 2 - 120 mm or 2 140 mm fans in the front panel:
Fan Support
Front: 2 x 120/2 x 140mm
Top: 1 x 120mm (1 Aer F120 Case Version included) / 1 x 140mm
Rear: 1 x 120mm (1 Aer F120 Case Version included)
https://www.nzxt.com/products/h500i-matte-white

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Sep 8, 2019
NZXT stock fan configuration should be fine imo.

I just reinstalled my CPU cooler and things are looking better. Cinebench r20 scores have improved to around 4300 and idle temps decreased to around 45C. Temps while running Cinebench have been reduced as well. Throttling is still an issue though, so any help would be appreciated.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
The stock case cooling is definitely not sufficient.
You don't have any fans bringing in air to cool your components.
Even 1 front intake fan would help but 2 would be even better.
These Chips obviously run hot without good cooling.
Air should flow from the front of a case to the top and rear.
Your case was designed to have a front radiator with 2 120 or 140 mm fans pulling cool air into the case.
Since you don't have an AIO with a radiator, you should have put two front fans in.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019
Thanks, but I really don't think this has to do with thermal throttling. My CPU stays below 70C while running Cinebench, and I've heard of people using the stock cooler (which is supposed to be worse than Hyper 212 evo) and getting much higher scores with the exact same configuration as mine.

Reactions: GrandSACHI
Sep 8, 2019
I have just conducted another cinebench r20 test with the case front panel off. I still scored around 4300 so I can confidently say that it is not thermal throttling I'm getting here. Something is lowering the voltage of my cpu and preventing it from reaching it's potential.

Sep 12, 2019
I'm in a similar situation as you. I'm getting around 4300 on Cinebench R20 with all default BIOS settings except I set my RAM to 3600MHz. I'm using the stock cooler too and my 3700X idles at 50 to 65C and gets to 74C while running Cinebench. While running the test the CPU on gets to 3.9GHz.

Edit: grammar and more info

Sep 8, 2019
After updating bios to AGESA 1.0.0.3ABBA with PBO and disabling undervolting, the problem seems to be semi-resolved. I'm now getting around 4500-4600 in Cinebench r20, and core voltage is now around 1.38 with 4.1Ghz when running cb. CPU temps have risen to 85 while running cb though.

At this point, it may just be a thermal issue. Not sure how people were getting 4900 with stock cooler though. I'm willing to just leave the problem here. If anyone has any way to improve my performance, it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I'm happy with the way things are.

After updating bios to AGESA 1.0.0.3ABBA with PBO and disabling undervolting, the problem seems to be semi-resolved. I'm now getting around 4500-4600 in Cinebench r20, and core voltage is now around 1.38 with 4.1Ghz when running cb. CPU temps have risen to 85 while running cb though.

At this point, it may just be a thermal issue. Not sure how people were getting 4900 with stock cooler though. I'm willing to just leave the problem here. If anyone has any way to improve my performance, it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I'm happy with the way things are.
Just wait until new, official BIOS is released, it should fix boost problems, I'm getting 4876 score on CB r20 with PBO at max settings, that runs at least 5.25GHz boost on all cores.

I have a 3700x on an Asus TUF-Gaming x570 Plus. The cooler is a Hyper 212 EVO. PBO is enabled from BIOS, and I set a VCore offset of -0.75.

I run around 50C degrees, 4.2Ghz and 1.37V at idle, but when running cinebench r20 I noticed from CPU-Z they dropped to 3.9Ghz and 1.2V while the temps never exceeded 80C. The resulting score is around 4200, which to my knowledge is way below what it should be (around 4700).

I looked everywhere on Google for the answer, but nothing has worked. Running on stock without OC the scores were around 3900. I tried reinstalling windows and installing latest AMD Chipset, but nothing has worked so far.

Any help would be appreciated.
I'd suggest running without the negative VCore offset. Ryzen boosting depends on seeing BOTH VRM headroom as well as thermal headroom so when you force a lower VCore it will throttle it's boost frequencies, including the mid-level sustained boosting which does the real work. If you're worried about temperatures then you'll have to get something better than a Hyper 212, which isn't that much better than the stock Wraith Prism.

As a side note: I'm really curious about the CB20 scores I'm seeing. My 3700X will get 5045-5060 MT and 504-510 ST. I've enabled PBO, turned everything (PPT, EDC, TDC) up to max for my mobo with a scalar of 7. I also set up a POSITIVE VCore offset of +.0250 so that it boosts in lighter work loads with a VCore above 1.45V. That seems to make it hold a higher mid-level boost frequency during Cinebench MT runs. Temp's are well controlled with a 240mm AIO.

If the ABBA Agesa ever makes it through MSI's glacial BIOS update process I hope to see ST scores in the 514-517 range with MT scores unchanged.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999
CPU temps have risen to 85 while running cb though.

CPU temperatures up around 85C during a CB20 run strongly suggests temps are what's holding it back. Even with ABBA I think boosting is being throttled above 75-80C so by 85C you have to know it's really throttled.

Something you could do to test it out is to turn all fans up to max in the BIOS then open up your case and put a desk top/room fan blowing into the case as strongly as you can. Yeah, very much not good for regular use but if it improves things with lower temps and higher CB20 scores you'll know more about whats holding it back and start working on what to do to fix it without any doubts that it will help.

Reactions: DMAN999
Sep 8, 2019
Thanks for the replies guys.
Just wait until new, official BIOS is released, it should fix boost problems
I believe the BIOS I'm using is official. I got it from my motherboards driver page on the ASUS website.
I'd suggest running without the negative VCore offset.
I have already reset VCore to Auto
CPU temperatures up around 85C during a CB20 run strongly suggests temps are what's holding it back.
You're probably right. I just don't understand how that guy managed to get such high cb20 scores even with stock cooler. I might try opening the case and giving it another go, but it probably won't improve things much. I guess I'll just stick with what I have now.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
I just don't understand how that guy managed to get such high cb20 scores even with stock cooler
Yea its hard to tell if that was a true results with the actual hardware used. I mean AMD has some bios update again.......................coming up and supposedly will fix some issues ..if not i going more likely look for another option for my new computer.

NZXT stock fan configuration should be fine imo.

I just reinstalled my CPU cooler and things are looking better. Cinebench r20 scores have improved to around 4300 and idle temps decreased to around 45C. Temps while running Cinebench have been reduced as well. Throttling is still an issue though, so any help would be appreciated.

Wait, idel 45c? Something is wrong.

I know its not the same cpu but my r5 2600 runs 33c idel with a very cheap aftermarket cooler (cooler master hyper t2) and has never exceeded 70c in any test I put it through.

What kind of thermal paste are you using? And also, does the throttling only happen during that specific test?

If so, whats the xifferance of that test, to all your other tests? Maybe we can pinpoint the issue.

To me it sounds like maybe some cores are being parked which is causing throttling but I could be wrong. Does your mobo have an option to disable downcoring?