CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
Mobo: ASUS TFU x570 gaming plus (WiFi)
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz
Cooler: Corsair h150i PRO water cooler
Boot: 250 gb nvme m.2
Storage: 2 TB HDD
GPU: Gigabyte geforce 1660 Super OC
Case: Corsair Carbide 275r

6 fans in system (3 front intake on the radiator, 2 top exhaust and 1 in the back as exhaust)

I used to idle between 45 and 58 c without doing nothing and around 85 max temp while stress testing the CPU i changed my thermal paste to liquid metal on cpu and gpu now i'm idling between 39 and 49 c the problem is that the idle temps are a bit high and there is always an out of the blues jump of temperature (around 10c +) on CPU while doing absolutely nothing..... As i've seen on the internet that people idling between 25 - 35 c and i never saw those temps in my system

Note : OC to 4.45 ghz on 1.325V

Solution
I found the issue, and I found a solution for all ryzen temperature spikes! Now my cpu sits idle at 37 in a not cooled room. Problrm was that the pump was set to quit at 900 rpm which wasn't enough for the cpu as the 3800x is a power hungry one. I set it up to balanced on 1700 rpm dropped temps by 8 degrees from 45 - 58 to 37 - 48 (sometimes 34 if room is cold enough) but the strange spikes remains and was trying to find a solution for it for a long time... it was as simple as turning off Bluetooth faceplam it turned out that Bluetooth is constantly searching for a device it keeps the cpu on 3 - 5 % usage on idle and it spikes it to 11% sometimes which causes the temps spikes. I turned it off and watched for around 15 mins just...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
LM between the IHS and cooler coldplate is not as effective as LM between the cpu die and the IHS. Plus, it's riskier.

If some LM manages to squeeze out from between the IHS and coldplate, your hardware will be in for a shock... but I guess you're using TG Conductonaut?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Liquid metal outside the IHS is always a bad idea, no matter what the excuse. Jmho. It's even worse for Ryzen as the Tim will bond after about a year and the cooler plate surface will actually become rock hard Tim. Chances of you removing the cooler without snatching the cpu out of the socket get slimmer by the day.

Ok. Temps.

It's a Ryzen, not an Intel. They don't work the same way. With Intel at idle, it drops voltages and speeds on all cores, but all the cores remain active. Any background tasks Windows activates (and it's a constant thing now) will get split up amongst the cores as available. Temps are read from whichever is the current hottest core and if the poll doesn't catch the exact moment of spike, it'll read the core after the initial inrush and you'll see minimal core temps. So usually around 32-45°C bounces.

Ryzens at idle drop voltages and speeds on all cores, but the similarity ends there. Instead of all cores remaining active and available, all cores except one preferred are shutdown completely, leaving just one active. When windows starts a task, that one core takes the load, and again, and again, so you have multiple tasks in operation at any given time. This is a higher load than on any Intel core, so you'll generally see working core temps of mid 40's with spikes to 60ish°C.

Those whose systems show markedly lower idle temps are mostly still using HWMonitor or Aida64 or Speccy or Occt and not HWInfo or Ryzen Master as the source. Which is often unreliable info. They may also have a fresh windows install with very little actual working tasks as they have nothing but Windows and games, many not even using active anti-virus or malware checkers etc. Meaning their idle load outputs is often quite different to others idle outputs.

You are also pushing a 1.325v, higher current use OC, and chances are good that others are not at that level of output, having a 4.2GHz OC at 1.2v and lower current demands, which can affect idle temps. That's also assuming a 3800x at 105w and not the more common 3700x at 65w with OC or even a stock 3950x.

There's a lot of variables to account for idle temps differences, none of which are really important. Idle temps are more a measure of a tool to see when the cooler is loosing efficiency because idle temps are raising, or of airflow because pulling the side panel off drops it 10°C +. Other than that, idle temps take a back seat to load temps realistically.

no0va.bhamade

Prominent
May 26, 2020
I found the issue, and I found a solution for all ryzen temperature spikes! Now my cpu sits idle at 37 in a not cooled room. Problrm was that the pump was set to quit at 900 rpm which wasn't enough for the cpu as the 3800x is a power hungry one. I set it up to balanced on 1700 rpm dropped temps by 8 degrees from 45 - 58 to 37 - 48 (sometimes 34 if room is cold enough) but the strange spikes remains and was trying to find a solution for it for a long time... it was as simple as turning off Bluetooth faceplam it turned out that Bluetooth is constantly searching for a device it keeps the cpu on 3 - 5 % usage on idle and it spikes it to 11% sometimes which causes the temps spikes. I turned it off and watched for around 15 mins just staring at temperature fluction which only happend once but was a minor 3 - 4 degrees rise. So I would put this thread as solved!!!

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I found the issue, and I found a solution for all ryzen temperature spikes!

That's a little bit over-enthusiastic exclamation, not all Ryzen boards or builds even have Bluetooth, so while the theory of finding a piece of software that has cyclic activations, like Bluetooth searches, is sound, it's not always specific to a 'one size fits all' cure.

Just the Windows Store does the same thing, it's constantly updating periodically, depending on which tiles you have active. Having any with any sort of newsfeed, or email and you get the same thing, constant periodic searches/checks for updates.

Reactions: no0va.bhamade

no0va.bhamade

Prominent
May 26, 2020
That's a little bit over-enthusiastic exclamation, not all Ryzen boards or builds even have Bluetooth, so while the theory of finding a piece of software that has cyclic activations, like Bluetooth searches, is sound, it's not always specific to a 'one size fits all' cure.

Just the Windows Store does the same thing, it's constantly updating periodically, depending on which tiles you have active. Having any with any sort of newsfeed, or email and you get the same thing, constant periodic searches/checks for updates.
I've been monitoring my temps for the last 24 hours and its stable! So for me its working perfectly (the solution I mentioned)

I've been monitoring my temps for the last 24 hours and its stable! So for me its working perfectly (the solution I mentioned)
Any piece of HW or SW can cause frequency jump and "waking up" cores from temporary in sleep state. Even programs for checking temps and other vital signs do that. Most of them work in background so are not immediately noticed.

Reactions: Makaveli