[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 3800X temp spikes

Nate825

Prominent
Jun 15, 2020
Hi I am new to building PCs so any help is greatly appreciated. I have noticed that when I am gaming my CPU average temp is around 59c but when I reach a loading screen on games the temp will spike. This happens for no more than a couple seconds at most and then lowers back down. The highest I have seen it reach is 81c (does not go this high every time). I am using stock settings and have no plans to OC. The games I am currently playing are Gears 5 and Outer Worlds. My questions are...
  1. Is this normal behavior and since it is such a short spike is it even something to worry about?
  2. If I get a better cooler like the Noctua NH D15 will it tame the spikes?

Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI)
Ryzen 7 3800x
RTX 2080 Super
Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB
Meshify C case 2 x 140mm fans (font) 3x 120mm fans (back/top)
Wraith Prism cooler

Thank you in advance for your help.

Solution
It's normal...the cpu is boosting a single cpu core to speed up the loading process. Momentary temp spikes are completely normal as the Ryzen cpu algorithms are balancing temp, voltage, and clockspeed. A better cooler will suppress the temp spikes somewhat but the stock cooler is fine for normal use.
It's normal...the cpu is boosting a single cpu core to speed up the loading process. Momentary temp spikes are completely normal as the Ryzen cpu algorithms are balancing temp, voltage, and clockspeed. A better cooler will suppress the temp spikes somewhat but the stock cooler is fine for normal use.

Solution

Nate825

Prominent
Jun 15, 2020

Thank you so much.

Reactions: dorsai

no0va.bhamade

Prominent
May 26, 2020
I've been pursuing this issue on my 3800x it is as simple as turning off ur Bluetooth. It works in a background constantly searching for a device but doesn't appear as active of task manager. As soon as i turned it of my temps are stable at 37 c only spikes up rarely like I'd say ever 10 - 15 mins and when it spikes up it knly do about 4 - 5 c max. Yes I was that obsessed to solve the issue that I kept watching my screen (on temps) for 15 mins straing every now and then. Hope this fix your issue. Good luck.