Question Ryzen 7 5800X3D troubles

ShavedKitty

Commendable
Oct 20, 2019
Unboxed the new ryzen 7 5800x3D, took my old Ryzen 7 2700x out put the new 5800 in. Started the pc up and the pc lit up but nothing happened on the screen. Did this 3 times with the same result of nothing (just pc turning on) Am I needed to update my bios?
Thanks for the help I do not do this often,

Current Bios Version
  • ROG X-570 E motherboard
  • Ryzen 7 2700x CPU (trying to get 5800x3d to work)
  • Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800)
  • Custom EK Liquid Loop
  • 1200 watt PSU
  • 6900 GPU
  • 2 TB Samsung Pro M.2

Last edited:

ShavedKitty

Commendable
Oct 20, 2019
I never updated bios since getting MOBO in 2019, running version 2.20.1271 so I have to be out-of-date. I need to download software from AMD website to a blank USB and go that route?

I never updated bios since getting MOBO in 2019, running version 2.20.1271 so I have to be out-of-date. I need to download software from AMD website to a blank USB and go that route?
You get the BIOS from your motherboard mfr's support web site.

The version to get...the latest...is v 4403.

Read the instructions in your owners manual on how to do the update. It has a BIOS flashback feature where you can update the BIOS with an unsupported CPU in place, or even no CPU, or you can re-install the 2700X and do it through the Q-Flash utility you access through BIOS setup screen.

Reactions: ShavedKitty
Okay THANK YOu! I put the 2700x back in, do I need to download the new bios to a USB or can I just use that Q-Flash?
You'll need to download the package and extract the BIOS file from it then put it on a USB drive. You'll look on that drive once you start the Q-Flash utility. The instructions for this are in the manual. You can download a PDF of it if you've lost it from that same Asus support web site.

Also, be sure to reset CMOS once you've re-installed the new processor, after updating the BIOS. The instructions are in your manual.

Reactions: ShavedKitty