News Ryzen 7 7745HX, 8-Core Laptop CPU Is as Fast as 14-Core, Core i9-12900HK

zecoeco

Prominent
BANNED
Sep 24, 2022
So they are ALMOSt as fast as the intel 12xxx chip, but their 13th gen is already out. This chip has already lost.
Already lost? You should reconsider your statement. An 8-core chip beating a 14-core chip is superb efficiency.
Obviously, Intel is playing the E-cores game, and indeed, they've bumped up the core count in their 13th gen. lineup across the board.
We won't see a hybrid implementation from AMD until the rollout of Zen 5 Strix Point.

So they are ALMOSt as fast as the intel 12xxx chip, but their 13th gen is already out. This chip has already lost.
The 12900HK is an 6p/8e/20t 115W CPU and was the 2nd highest model in the previous generation. The new 8c/16t 95W R7 7745HX has a 2.2% higher single core performance and 99.9% the multi threaded performance despite a wattage and absolute core/thread deficiency. The 7745HX isn't the halo product either. This is going to be the lower end of their high end line.

Amdlova

Distinguished
Amd need to sell two times more than intel to be better. Here in my country an device with amd is about 30, 40% more expensive than a Intel one same gen. Because now amd has the feeling about "premium" and intel one has the Toyota status. I love amd, but I don't buy nothing from amd at This moment. . .

Reactions: Why_Me
I still think this is impressive. Usually the latest laptop CPUs are only as fast/powerful as the fastest similar desktop tiers from 3 or more generations back. The fact this AMD is only one Intel generation removed as well as not a direct tier-on-tier comparison in CPU hierarchy is extremely impressive (as in the AMD is lower tiered than the Intel as Jeremyj_83 above says).

Reactions: Sleepy_Hollowed

Clariska

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012
That is still impressive . I have been with AMD for a long time. But I parked my AMD Ryzen for upgrades I traded my 1070 ti(he needs the nvec decoder) for an I7 pc with an rx 470. I do not play much games(Forza 5 and Path of exile mostly) and I do web development and IT support. I am actually impressed with the I7's performance. I got her easily to 3.5ghz(could go higher but my AIO is dodgy :D) I really don't care about performance. It comes down to price. I am looking to get myself a laptop for my work as I am going traveling in 2 months for work. A laptop like this will be over kill. It's one of those that I ask the questions . Nice to have but do I need it?

Reactions: Amdlova
That is still impressive . I have been with AMD for a long time. But I parked my AMD Ryzen for upgrades I traded my 1070 ti(he needs the nvec decoder) for an I7 pc with an rx 470. I do not play much games(Forza 5 and Path of exile mostly) and I do web development and IT support. I am actually impressed with the I7's performance. I got her easily to 3.5ghz(could go higher but my AIO is dodgy :D) I really don't care about performance. It comes down to price. I am looking to get myself a laptop for my work as I am going traveling in 2 months for work. A laptop like this will be over kill. It's one of those that I ask the questions . Nice to have but do I need it?
You can always get one of the U series chips. My work laptop runs a Ryzen 5 4500U and it is surprisingly fast. Overall faster than my desktop 4770K. I am able to play things like Civ VI on it at 1080p with adequate frame rates.

Reactions: Amdlova