[SOLVED] ryzen 7 on b450 mobo?

lawrenzrat

Commendable
Jul 13, 2020
can a ryzen 7 run properly on a b450 mobo?
and can it do oc?
and which of the ryzen 7 cpu has the best value?

just curious :) appreciate any answers.

Solution
i'm running a 3700x on a b450 aorus pro. works right out of the box no problem. just be sure whatever you buy says its 3000 series ready. most are these days but some of the more budget models may not be.

the cpu's are pretty low powered so you don't need a $400 super over engineered mobo to push the cpu. so a normal 4 or 5+1 vrm set-up is plenty. my chip under a torture test approaches 100w but won't get there. easy for a mobo to supply. manual Oc is not worth even trying really but PBO can boost it a little bit but don't think anyone has ever seen a full core boost to max rated speeds.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm running a 3700x on a b450 aorus pro. works right out of the box no problem. just be sure whatever you buy says its 3000 series ready. most are these days but some of the more budget models may not be.

the cpu's are pretty low powered so you don't need a $400 super over engineered mobo to push the cpu. so a normal 4 or 5+1 vrm set-up is plenty. my chip under a torture test approaches 100w but won't get there. easy for a mobo to supply. manual Oc is not worth even trying really but PBO can boost it a little bit but don't think anyone has ever seen a full core boost to max rated speeds.

Solution
Most mid-range and all top tier B450 boards can easily handle standard Ryzen 7 CPUs. The 2700X is the most power hungry Ryzen 7 chip so far, the 3700X is actually more energy efficient. So if your board can handle a 2700X, it can handle anything including the 3950X.

The entry level B450 boards you have to watch out for, they might not be able to handle the CPU your looking for. But if your looking at the 65W TDP parts it's pretty rare for a B450 board to not handle one.

lawrenzrat

Commendable
Jul 13, 2020

mind if i ask what's your gpu paired on that combo (r7 3700x + b450 aorus) or for you what's your best gpu for that combo?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no problem, but you will want a 3rd party cpu cooler for the cpu. the stock one is noisy and annoying. it does its job god enough but the noise will get to you and quickly. i made it about 2 weeks before i scrapped t and went to another cooler.