News Ryzen 7000 3D V-Cache CPUs Could Be Limited To 6-Core, 8-Core Configurations

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
Yes that's the point, if the games only use one ccx then why have vcache on both ccxs?

It's not a matter of if they can, it would be more expensive to put two vcache modules into a CPU and it would be even less per/$ since games would only use one of the ccx/vcache modules.
It doesn't make much economic sense.

If they can pull it off putting vcache into only one of two ccxs and cement the "game mode" then maybe, but that would just make it more clear to more people that games can't use more than 8cores and that would probably hurt AMD more than it would help them.
Why can’t they do it like Intel does with their
Hybrid architecture? Just have the windows scheduler keep gaming on the vcache cores like Intel does it with their P cores.

Reactions: atomicWAR

umeng2002_2

Commendable
Jan 10, 2022
A well-priced 6 core chip with 3D cache will sell like hotcakes for gaming setups. What 3D cache did for Zen 3 was absolutely outstanding, in terms of gaming.

Fates_Demise

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
3D Cache for home use is only good for games.
Games do not scale well past 8 cores (or even to 8 cores).
Therefore 12+ core 3D Cache Ryzen chips are not needed.
That's entirely dependant on the game, as time goes on games support higher and higher core counts. Star citizen for example scales up to 16 cores last I checked.

Sergei Tachenov

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
Except there's people who want to use one machine for both gaming and productivity. It should be up to the scheduler to figure out how to confine threads to a single ccd when necessary.
At the moment, Intel beats AMD in productivity, so if I wanted to build such a machine, I'd choose the 13700K over 7700X, 3D or not.

And while there are no capable schedulers, I don't think it would make much sense to go and buy a CPU and then wait until maybe someone makes it work properly.

This is just as things stand at the moment, though. I'm not saying v-cache doesn't make sense on dual-chiplet CPUs, I'm just saying that it doesn't make much sense right now.

Reactions: Amdlova

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
People are stubborn. It's hard to accept that games simply can not effectively use all these cores. Anything that can be parallelized is better suited for the GPU.

4 core i3 12100 beats the 6 core Ryzen 5 3600 in every single title.

In fact that tiny i3 easily beats the 8 core Ryzen 5 3700 in games too.

Yes, they're different generation CPU, but they're not that far apart. It clearly shows that those extra cores are not useful during gaming at all, not even in the latest titles from the biggest studios. This argument that more cores future proof is completely false when it comes to gaming. With DirectStorage we will limit the usefulness of high core count CPU even further, since any shader or texture decompression, be it during loading or at game runtime, will be relegated to the GPU.

Those extra cores on the 3600 and 3700 are doing didly squat during gaming. It is Amdahl's law in action, in gaming the CPU bottleneck is the slowest sequential task, how fast a single core can get through that sequential task before the frame can be rendered. It is determined by clockspeed and low level cache, which makes that little i3 shine.

Last edited:
3D Cache for home use is only good for games.
Games do not scale well past 8 cores (or even to 8 cores).
Therefore, 12+ core 3D Cache Ryzen chips are not needed.
Only that there are some people who multitask, and both do gaming and working from same machine.
12 or 16 cores would be good for work, and I would like vcache for games as well, it will be sad if I have to use separate machines.
I don't think they will completely get rid of them, MAYBE it will be delayed to see if intel have any response, and sell more of X versions.
IMHO if there will be separation, they will send 6 & 8's on CES, and watch the market, if there will be demand, we will get 12 & maybe 16's on summer.

vache would work well on 12 & 16 designs as well, as by just its size you get absurd ammount of it, speeds would be incredibly good regardless.
even better as you get twice the amount than single chip, your whole work could stay on L3, that could become a single thing that would make 12 version into a powerhouse.

I see no reason other than some microcode difficulties why 12's would not be releases, and that single chip alone would be the biggest competitor against new gens in the future.

Not sure if "lower-end" is a proper term here. For a lower end gaming build, the 5600 is plenty. On AM5, the 7600X is currently a gaming beast even for high-end gaming builds. The 3D lineup will be for the top of the top gaming builds.

I figure you meant "lower-end" in the sense that the gaming segment itself isn't very CPU-demanding, so as compared to something like the 7950X even the 7700X3D can be considered low end, it's just when I think of it, I imagine it being paired with something like the 4090 and 32 GB of DDR5-6000 and calling that low end seems like heresy :)

Which was exactly my point, and exactly what the news article says. Add it to single-chiplet SKUs to turn them into gaming beasts, and leave dual-chiplet SKUs as they are.

Sorry, slightly misunderstood your original post. Agree totally.

64bitguy

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Hardware leaker claims that AMD may limit its Ryzen 7000 3D V-Cache models to just two six-core and eight-core models.

Ryzen 7000 3D V-Cache CPUs Could Be Limited To 6-Core, 8-Core Configurations : Read more

The first irony of this 3D V-Cache article being...

When AMD figured out how great 3D V-Cache was with the 5800X3D, why didn't they incorporated that into the baseline design of the next generation of CPUs?

Oh. Right. Why build it better (or standardized) from the start when you can milk everyone along? Got it.

That aside, the inescapable truth about AMD Zen4 desktop processors remains; and in light of these "leaks" as witnesses view the various samples that we all knew were coming roll off the end of the production line, needs to said:

The continuation of employing the current, completely counter-productive AM5 Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) packaging and mounting positions dictated by AM4 designs, now seems simply unfathomable; but worse, under the ridiculous premise, "to maintain backward compatibility with AM4 cooling" especially with 3D V-Cache as the existing designs have quickly (in fact, all too quickly) demonstrated to yield significant and measurable negative impacts across every engineering path relative to each "new" underlying technology being employed both by the CPU and motherboard and component OEMs and what bothers me most is that everybody (and I do mean everybody) knows it; but nobody is willing to say anything publicly.

Put simply, PCIe 5 (now over 3 1/2 years old) and DDR5 are each being significantly constrained as their specifications are being forced to accommodate AMD's AM4 socket positioning and dimension issues as well as AM5 IHS and core relative height, width and depth positions inside those AM4 socket physical constraints in addition to the AM4 socket's exterior constraints to accommodate AM4 cooler mounting positions.

Herein lies another problem in that AM5 specifications for associated underlying technologies never actually considered: Necessitating incompatible AM4 pathways, and in fact they assumed those paths would be clear of physical obstructions to support the shorter trace paths required to support the aforementioned new PCIe and DDR Standards and for their accompanying components and devices not to mention other pins for things like 10gb+ LAN, PCIe 5 M.2, Thunderbolt 4, USB 4, etc..) in accordance with their published Standards. Instead, what consumers ended up getting were motherboards forced to piece together pathways outside their normal design specifications with systems overheating from the CPU outward while stressing every single component that resides on the CPU itself, on the motherboard, in each PCIe slot or otherwise occupying space within the system chassis while drawing much more power than intended by design, only to hit a thermal throttle that itself then serves to define the baseline parameters of the CPU and as well as other component performances all while generating more heat than planned and using signifantly more power than would otherwise be necessary to achieve an even higher planned baseline performance that would be more stable, even when utilizing all of the exact motherboard, RAM, Storage, PCIe and power supply hardware components.

The lengths to which the supply chain OEMs have gone to achieve what they already have given these constraints has been extreme; but people investing in any X3D CPU or motherboard should pay particular attention to these facts as that's a pretty damn big investment and again, there's a lot more going on here than just an IHS issue.

From an engineering perspective, everything about this is ludicrous including the fact that the AM4 coolers themselves were never built to accommodate a CPU IHS running at 90c over such a large contact area for such extended periods of time, rendering them ineffective to the task in the first place!

For these basic "engineering 101" rational reasons, until AMD drops this ridiculous IHS and AM4 compatibility nonsense, I will be skipping the entire AM5 generation of products as this kind of investment falls into the exact same category of why I'll never buy a 40 Series Nvidia Card:

I don't want my house to burn down just because some idiot had a stupid idea that should have been considered and shot-down in the first engineering meeting or in the worst case scenario, at least tested on a bench after a sample was made so everyone could say at once, "Yeah, this would be a pretty stupid thing to do!".

You don't build a V-8 Engine with mounts designed only to fit inside a Tesla Frunk, and then insist that all car makers employing it only use a chainsaw exhaust pipe that must stick out through the sunroof. That's what AMD did here and it's also why you'll see Intel platform hardware yielding better PCIe 5 and DDR component performance, with fewer errors, lower latency and using less power to do it with longer lasting parts that are unstressed by AMD's self-imposed design constraints and these lessons that Intel will not be forced to learn will carry over to Intel having better PCIe 6 (yeah, it was finalized almost a year ago) and DDR6 while AMD systems languish behind self-imposed design constraints that are pointless, expensive both in the short and long-term for consumers. There's a lot more going on here than just the negative impacts of having a thicker IHS that exists for all the wrong reasons, a lot more.

Will Zen4 laptop designs be forced down some similar dumb rabbit hole? Only time will tell.

Last edited:

Sergei Tachenov

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
However true that may be, the vast majority of users don't give a damn about all this engineering stuff. They want price/performance, and for gaming PCs AMD does a pretty good job.

Cooler compatibility, on the other hand, is important to users. Not just because some of them want to retain their beefy coolers during the upgrade, but also because they don't have to worry "Is this cooler compatible with AM5? How long will I have to wait to get a mounting kit delivered?" and so on, which we saw with Alder Lake. It's especially frustrating if you order a whole bunch of PC parts only to find out that the NH-D15 you got was manufactured before a specific date and therefore doesn't include the LGA1700 mounting kit, which you then have to order and then wait for a few weeks. And when it finally arrives, you build this thing and realize that you want to return one of the parts, only you can't any more because the return window expired while those parts were sitting in a corner waiting for the mounting kit to arrive!

So it may be dumb from the engineering point of view, but marketing-wise it's probably the right decision they made.

TRENDING THREADS