Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
Currently have

ryzen 5 3600
Rog strix b450f mobo
Rtx 2070
750corsair psu
16gb Corsair pro rgb ram

What ryzen would people recommend for solid fps? In warzone/streaming on the same pc I currently get 100+ in buildings but it fluctuates to 70-80odd depending on area or surroundings, Or would this be better off getting a cpu/gpu update? Thanks

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The R5 3600 is still a very relevant CPU for gaming. Depending on your motherboard, you may be able to perform a BIOS update and move into the 5xxx series of CPU. Depending on where you look, it appears the 5600X is between ~7-15% faster than the 3600. Pricing on the jungle site for that CPU seems to be just under $200 in the US. Only you can decide if such an uplift is worth the money to you.

BrennB

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
The R5 3600 is still a very relevant CPU for gaming. Depending on your motherboard, you may be able to perform a BIOS update and move into the 5xxx series of CPU. Depending on where you look, it appears the 5600X is between ~7-15% faster than the 3600. Pricing on the jungle site for that CPU seems to be just under $200 in the US. Only you can decide if such an uplift is worth the money to you.

sorry forgot to add mobo, B450f strix, So ryzen 5 5600x would be a decent upgrade with not much bottleneck and still decent fps? Seems warzone runs cpu intensive and ofc with me streaming at the same time I feel like I get fps drops I know warzone I run low graphics and performance based things the game isn’t exactly greatly optimised but I feel like it’s lacking..

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
sorry forgot to add mobo, B450f strix, So ryzen 5 5600x would be a decent upgrade with not much bottleneck and still decent fps? Seems warzone runs cpu intensive and ofc with me streaming at the same time I feel like I get fps drops I know warzone I run low graphics and performance based things the game isn’t exactly greatly optimised but I feel like it’s lacking..

If you are gaming and streaming from the same PC it would probably benefit you to consider a CPU with more threads as well as more memory. What happens to your averages when you aren't streaming at the same time?

If you are using the cpu for your streaming then a 5800x or 5800x3d are probably a better upgrade. Warzone itself can use 12 threads so a 5600x doesn't have any additional threads for other workloads. If only gaming then the 5600x would be a reasonable upgrade. I was very happy with my upgrade from a 3700x to a 5800x3d.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

BrennB

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
If you are using the cpu for your streaming then a 5800x or 5800x3d are probably a better upgrade. Warzone itself can use 12 threads so a 5600x doesn't have any additional threads for other workloads. If only gaming then the 5600x would be a reasonable upgrade. I was very happy with my upgrade from a 3700x to a 5800x3d.
So a ryzen 7 5800x would be a good solid upgrade with little bottleneck

So a ryzen 7 5800x would be a good solid upgrade with little bottleneck
I wouldn't use the term bottleneck. Just think of it as the cpu determines the best possible fps you can achieve regardless of gpu choice. If you turn up game settings your current cpu will not bottleneck your 2070, just a better cpu will allow you to tweak settings and achieve higher fps. Your 3600x is between the 2700x and 3800x on this graph. Taken from Ryzen 7 5800X Gaming Performance - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Review: The Pricing Conundrum | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

CFYTRpYnD5Vqf22jHBFqE8-1200-80.png.webp

BrennB

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
I wouldn't use the term bottleneck. Just think of it as the cpu determines the best possible fps you can achieve regardless of gpu choice. If you turn up game settings your current cpu will not bottleneck your 2070, just a better cpu will allow you to tweak settings and achieve higher fps. Your 3600x is between the 2700x and 3800x on this graph. Taken from Ryzen 7 5800X Gaming Performance - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Review: The Pricing Conundrum | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

CFYTRpYnD5Vqf22jHBFqE8-1200-80.png.webp
I see, Thanks for that even though it’s a 3090 compared to my 2070 I’m sure I’ll get a lot more stable and higher fps with a 5800x, They are pretty cheap too being around £250-300 here in the UK. I’ll look more into getting one as it looks a solid upgrade

I wouldn’t recommend going above a 5700x since it is a 65 watt cpu but will give most of the 5800x performance. I say this because I’ve got an older AsRock b350 board with a 5900x and was having issues last night with things. I’m not 100% sure what was going on, but I changed the cpu cooler from a tower air cooler to a wraith prism I had left over that I’d used with previous cpus. With that one it could blow some air down onto the vrms, and things seemed to stabilize a bit. But that’s I think a 125 watt cpu. Not knowing what power delivery your board has I wouldn’t recommend to go over a 5700x since it should be able to keep that cpu under control fairly easily whereas you could have stability issues if you push things too far.

BrennB

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
I have an nzxt x52 liquid cooler currently, I only actually play on 1920x1080 I don’t really care for graphics in any game to be fair because of how competitive I am I literally only go for smoothness for fps so everything tends to be on low if not a handful of settings on medium, with my current setup just looking for abit more stability I think with me streaming/gaming on the same pc it’s quite taxing, wanna be in the 110/120fps+ range stable really while live and gaming.

What resolution? A 3090 is still overkill for 1080p. I'm using a 3080 for 1440p 240Hz
I wouldn’t recommend going above a 5700x since it is a 65 watt cpu but will give most of the 5800x performance. I say this because I’ve got an older AsRock b350 board with a 5900x and was having issues last night with things. I’m not 100% sure what was going on, but I changed the cpu cooler from a tower air cooler to a wraith prism I had left over that I’d used with previous cpus. With that one it could blow some air down onto the vrms, and things seemed to stabilize a bit. But that’s I think a 125 watt cpu. Not knowing what power delivery your board has I wouldn’t recommend to go over a 5700x since it should be able to keep that cpu under control fairly easily whereas you could have stability issues if you push things too far.

I have an nzxt x52 liquid cooler currently, I only actually play on 1920x1080 I don’t really care for graphics in any game to be fair because of how competitive I am I literally only go for smoothness for fps so everything tends to be on low if not a handful of settings on medium, with my current setup just looking for abit more stability I think with me streaming/gaming on the same pc it’s quite taxing, wanna be in the 110/120fps+ range stable really while live and gaming.
Sounds like for gpu you don’t need anything over a 3060Ti.

I wasn’t planning on upgrading gpu more so seeing if I could get a new cpu and still aim for more frames than I get currently. Do you think if I brought the 5800x the 2070 would hold me back?
You mentioned a 3090 earlier so thought you were looking at an upgrade. As for the 2070 no it won’t hold you back from achieving better fps if you are comfortable dropping game settings, you did say you run low settings.

BrennB

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
You mentioned a 3090 earlier so thought you were looking at an upgrade. As for the 2070 no it won’t hold you back from achieving better fps if you are comfortable dropping game settings, you did say you run low settings.
Oh sorry yeah that was from the graph you posted earlier, Yeah I’ve never been keen on graphics more so performance. I’ve heard these CPU’s run hot with stock cooler so hopefully my x52 works ok. I tend to turn the settings up to keep everything cool as I can

BrennB

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
I’d still consider going for the 5700x. If you are going for a vanilla 5800x, I don’t think the 5700x is far behind it, but it’s a 65 watt cpu vs I think a 125 watt cpu so the cooler etc might handle it easier.
Yeah there isn’t actually much difference between either is there other than the watts? I might go for 5700x instead then.

Currently have

ryzen 5 3600
Rog strix b450f mobo
Rtx 2070
750corsair psu
16gb Corsair pro rgb ram

What ryzen would people recommend for solid fps? In warzone/streaming on the same pc I currently get 100+ in buildings but it fluctuates to 70-80odd depending on area or surroundings, Or would this be better off getting a cpu/gpu update? Thanks
I would not upgrade to a 5600X, I would get at least a 5700X. Otherwise step up to the 5900X. The 5700X will be easy to cool on an X52, the 5900X should be fine as well.

BrennB

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
Thanks everyone I think I’ll look into the 5700x as it’s abit cheaper and still with near on the same performance as the 5800x but without the high watts.

That was my corncern also, however it got to 61C with an overclocked 3900X running Prime95:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-ii/8.html

So I would have said he will be fine even if he puts a 5900X on there.

On my asrock ab350 pro 4 the board seemed to throttle a bit once I switched to 1440p with my 6700xt. I posted another thread but to fix it I ended up having to switch to a downfiring wraith prism cooler. That seemed to help a lot but I was still spiking into the 80s in game. Which was still stable but I ended up disabling pbo in my bios which seemed to drop the temps a bit. It seemed like in my case I didn’t really lose much if any performance according to cinebench r23. So my board may be right at the limit. But it does work.

In any event I’ll likely upgrade to am5 possibly around Christmas. I typically get money at Christmas time and my birthday is 5 days after so I’m thinking of a 7700x. Microcenter has a deal going where they give you ram if you buy that cpu or above. Then I can sell the 5900x while it has value still.

BrennB

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
My issue is
On my asrock ab350 pro 4 the board seemed to throttle a bit once I switched to 1440p with my 6700xt. I posted another thread but to fix it I ended up having to switch to a downfiring wraith prism cooler. That seemed to help a lot but I was still spiking into the 80s in game. Which was still stable but I ended up disabling pbo in my bios which seemed to drop the temps a bit. It seemed like in my case I didn’t really lose much if any performance according to cinebench r23. So my board may be right at the limit. But it does work.

In any event I’ll likely upgrade to am5 possibly around Christmas. I typically get money at Christmas time and my birthday is 5 days after so I’m thinking of a 7700x. Microcenter has a deal going where they give you ram if you buy that cpu or above. Then I can sell the 5900x while it has value still.
yeah I only play on 1920x1080 and low/medium so my issue isn’t as taxing in regards to graphics