Ryzen Post Process: how long does it take... including memory validation

camhops360

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
I'm 6 hours into a build that should have taken 1 hour.

I've read the Ryzen board takes an "extremely" long time to post. But no one gives a specific time.

I'm assuming we are talking less than a few minutes and not hours. Anyone know the answer?

Below is a video of my situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFUS6ffHFpU

Memory LED's turn on and appear to be doing something. PS_SW light is on.

But literally nothing else. No fan, no lighs, no post, no bios.

Solution
^ neither did I till I investigated , I have no idea why a CMOS reset button wouldn't have the same effect either.
There seems to be something sketchy about the gigabyte b350 & x370 boards for some people.
I also own an old 970 ud3p , its been the most rock solid PC component I've ever had hands down & it was a fairly budget option.
The k7 the op has is a $200 premium range board , there shouldn't honestly be any issues IMO at that price range, you should be able to drop your components in & go.
My first ryzen rig (& the one I own) I bought the cheapest full atx board & ddr4 ram there was & it just ran flawlessly off the bat.
I would double check to see that everything is hooked up properly. It almost seems like your CPU is not hooked up but your case fans should be spinning even if it does not post.

There might be an issue with that board, but when putting together a new rig I usually find that I did something wrong and the hardware is not faulty.

camhops360

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

I hear you. Just don't know what else to do. I reset the CPU, checked the pins, removed graphics card, checked all cables to power supply, I'm at a loss.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I have 2 Ryzen rigs and 1 Intel rig at my home office (desktop/server wise). The Intel system goes from zero to Windows 10 faster than both Ryzen rigs, but still only a matter of a few seconds longer. Not a significant amount of time.

camhops360

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7
CPU is Ryzen 1700
Corsair is 64gb Vengeance (not currently on supported list per Gigabyte website)
Power supply is Corsair 850 fully modular gold
Hard Drive is Samsung 960 NVME
Video Card: Gigabyte Nvidia 1080

I reset CPU, checked all connectors, reseat memory. Below is what I know to do

1) Try different ram
2) Try different PS
3) Try different CPU
4) Try different MB

Unfortunately I have to buy all this stuff and then return it. Seems like MFG's wouldn't want this with all the refurb inventory

^ yup exactly that, I would still expect the spire fan to spin up though irregardless.

What case model are you using ??

I've seen someone plug a fan controller cable into a board header in the past mistakenly , short the 12v & case exactly the same issue.

I've also seen this happen when power & reset switch cables are the wrong way round.

camhops360

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

I'm using the Corsair Vengeance case C70. Thanks again for your help!

Really interested in " power & reset switch cables"... I'll take photos of what I think you are talking about

Link to Front Panel (Power Reset) connector:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3yVNDyFqOhKeENVTlFfZWN1SFU/view?usp=sharing

Link to connector to MB (unplugged on purpose):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3yVNDyFqOhKSnRVNjBXSkFOYnM/view?usp=sharing

Full MB
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3yVNDyFqOhKNFVnOWpUYWhCQU0/view?usp=sharing

Photos are huge so I didn't want to load in thread. Thanks again!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Could simply be incompatible. Also, with all installed, you can have power issues.

It is also a good way to troubleshoot the system (isolate the problem).

The other issue with Ryzen is the bazillion pins (not that many, but you get the idea) that can easily be bent and cause these sorts of issues.

scuse my paint skill (im on mobile)

ryzenprob.png

What are those cables marked 1 & 2 on the pic??

Edit - Ive just blown it up (still hard to see on a 5.5inch screen) - thats one cable yes?? the led jumper from the spire cooler??

camhops360

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

Just swapped the ram with compatible ram. Still nothing. Same issue.

camhops360

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

Yes it's the fan LED wire. BTW I just tested a new power supply . Still dead. Narrowed it down to:

1) Bad mother board
2) Bad CPU
3) Installed CPU or motherboard incorrectly.

Any other thoughts?

The front panel would still throw me a bit mate.

You have a connector block with that board ??

Just double check everything on there

You tested with a different PSU ?? What model ?

I was thinking maybe the modular cables in the rmx were plugged in wrong , if you used a non modular then that's removed that as an issue.

I would however drop to 1 stick ram , remove the nvme drive , remove that pci-express 1x card (whatever it is?)

I've just seen annissue b with the k5 & k7 boards where incompatible ram throws up a completely dead board similar to yours .

Not something I've EVER encountered , far as I'm concerned CPU fan & case fans connected to board headers should still spin up irregardless

The led working on the spire cooler ??

camhops360

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

No none of the LED's work. Only the LED on the ram until I hit the power button then even that shuts off.

TRENDING THREADS