Ryzen upgrade 1700x

Title pretty well says it all. I've currently got a ryzen 1600 clocked around 3.6ghz.

Rest of the setup is as follows.

ASRock b350 pro 4
Gigabyte gtx 1050ti
8gb ddr4 2400
256gb Samsung nvme drive
1tb storage drive
EVGA 600b power supply

So the deal is that a friend of mine bought a ryzen 1700x pretty much at release. He had it under water cooling and didn't overclock that I'm aware of. He upgraded to the 2700x when it came out. Anyway, he's offering to sell me his old 1700x for 75.

My wife is needing a newer computer for her home based business (don't think she realizes it's time to upgrade lol). Anyway, I bought a gigabyte a320 board. My thought is start out by buying his 1700x, put my current ryzen 1600 into the a320 board for her, grab a 16gb 3000mhz ram kit for my system, put the 8gb of 2400 into the board for her. Maybe pick up a cheap 240gb SSD from microcenter, as I'm seeing their inland brand one's going around 30 bucks. Use her current drive as storage.

After that I think I'd like to upgrade graphics since I have occasionally. I have my system hooked to a monitor as well as a 49 inch TV. It's 4k, but only 30hz I think. I have been running it at 1080p 60hz and as you can imagine, the 1050ti does ok, but could be better.

When I game using the larger screen, my system overscans the screen a little. So I have to manually adjust in Nvidia control panel. I was thinking about an Rx 570 or 580 but read that AMD removed the resize options. So I'm thinking maybe minimum gtx 1060 6gb. Though from what I read the rtx 2060 should be released soon. Depending on availability, maybe I'd be better off trying to find a gtx 1070.

Anyway thoughts? Would the 1700x with a mild overclock do decently? I have looked things showing the 2700x is about 10% faster. But the 2700x is over 300. I do know how my friend treats his computer, which is pretty well. Plus, that cpu seems like it would be pretty decent for that money.

Solution
USD75 for 1700x is a good price, especially if it comes from a friend.
The performance jump from 1700x to 2700x is not worth the extra price, especially if we are talking about USD75.

About the worry that your friend abused his 1700x....
You could get a brand new 1700x for about €160 (I think), USD75 is then about 40-50% from that price.
I think it does worth the gamble.
USD75 for 1700x is a good price, especially if it comes from a friend.
The performance jump from 1700x to 2700x is not worth the extra price, especially if we are talking about USD75.

About the worry that your friend abused his 1700x....
You could get a brand new 1700x for about €160 (I think), USD75 is then about 40-50% from that price.
I think it does worth the gamble.

Solution
I'm not worried that he abused it. He is usually very anal about how he takes care of his equipment. I know as well the cpu was under I think a Corsair h100 water cooler or similar and was run stock.

Good to know that it would be a decent upgrade. I'm thinking with that and decent cooling on my end, maybe I can get nearer to the stock performance of a 2700/2700x by overclocking the 1700x a little.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll pick it up from him when I am able. Especially since I'll reuse my 1600 in another system and it won't go to waste. For under 100, I wouldn't even be able to get something like a 2200g.

One thing to watch for with your friend's 1700x since he got it very early. This could be one of the chips with the segfault bug. It only affected prior to week 25 so if you can get a look at date code you could tell if it's a candidate.

That bug only really affected Linux users as it causes a problem (segmentation faults) with kernel compiles. In my case my processor also had severely limited overclock potential. It needed a LOT of voltage to even do 3.7G and overheated constantly under a 240mm radiator cooler. That could have just been I utterly failed at the silicon lottery, but when I found out it had the segfault bug i got an exchange from AMD under warranty.

Just something to keep in mind when considering early-release, pre-week 25, Ryzen chips.

Ditt44

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Get the 1700x, can't beat the price and source. Spend more on Flare-X 3200 RAM as it is definitely worth it. I've been running a 1600x since May 2017 on an ASRock Taichi with the Flare-X and couldn't be happier with it. I may upgrade next year to the 3xxx series but can't see a reason to as I get all the power and speed I need from what I have. You'll be happy with the 1700x and faster RAM. Sounds like you have a good plan to help the wife also, which we all know, helps you the most.