connor.j2000

Honorable
Aug 21, 2017
Hi all,

I'm putting together a high budget build for a friend and simply not make my mind up on the CPU. After doing some research, I am leaning towards AMD's Ryzen 9 3900x - this is partly due to reports that Intel's 1200 socket is only going to be used for two generations, meaning AMD may be a more future proof option. But also, price vs performance seems better with AMD.

However, this is a gaming pc and from what I can tell, Intel is still king when it comes to gaming performance.

Current prices are as follows:

Ryzen 9 3900x - £433.98
Ryzen 9 3950x - £689.99 (not ideal)

Intel i9-9900k - £449.99
Intel i9-10900k - £529.98

These chips will be cooled by a Corsair H150i Pro XT and partnered with an ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER STRIX GAMING and 32GB of DDR4-3600MHz memory.

The idea behind the build is to be as good as it can be right now, with the option to upgrade going forward.

Yes, I know the new 3080 cards are coming out soon but my friend doesn't want to wait unfortunately.

Any suggestions? Would be massively appreciated!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rdslw
Solution
Hi all,

I'm putting together a high budget build for a friend and simply not make my mind up on the CPU. After doing some research, I am leaning towards AMD's Ryzen 9 3900x - this is partly due to reports that Intel's 1200 socket is only going to be used for two generations, meaning AMD may be a more future proof option. But also, price vs performance seems better with AMD.
3900x will not be suported for very long, its platofrm that will be replaced in 2021 so you will get 1 or 2 more cpu gens that fits the socket and new board, and that's it. Then we will get am5 with ddr5 support.
so if you would try go get on am4 3 years ago, it would still can take 3900x now, but soon support for this socket will end.

However, this is...

alexbirdie

Respectable
If it is only a gaming PC, it depends on the resolution which is used.
For 1920x1080 intel is the clear winner.

For 2560x1440 and higher even with a 2080ti the GPU limits and FPS are nearly equal between Intel and AMD.

Intel-socket (LGA 1200) for Intel i9-10900k is already dead, that means for newer CPUs again a new socket ist announced by Intel (LGA 1700).

AMD-AM4-socket with last at least for the next generation ( is ZEN3 for Ryzen 4xxx). That means, if neccessary, CPU change will be possible.

For ZEN4 ( somewhere at end of 2021) it is likely to need a newer motherboard with new socket ( perhaps AM5 ... or quite another name).

For gaming there are a lot of reviews, which prove my opinion. You only need to google for them.

guskline

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
As you can see from my sig, I own both a 9900k/2080TI rig and a 3900x/Radeon VII rig.

The 3900x is a BEAST and very good for gaming. Pair it with a high end video card and you will be set.

I addition, most of the X570 mbs support PCI4 which allows faster ssds.

Trust me my Sabrent Rocket 1tb Nvme4 is blazingly fast.

Reactions: Rdslw and RodroX
It all depends on what youre going to do with the PC, if its a gaming rig only I would really save money on the CPU and going for the Ryzen 7 3700X or the Core i5 10600K.

Either of this chips is a great for gaming. The ryzen 7 3700X beats the Ryzen 9 3900X on almost every game.
While the Core i5 10600K + good RAM + some minor touchs on the BIOS will give almost i9 10900K level perofrmance.

Now if the PC is for working it all depends on the type of load your friend is going to put on the CPU. But even so theres no desktop CPU yet that can beat the Ryzen 9 3950X.

As for working with the Ryzen 9 3900X is still one heck of a beast, and the Core i9 10900K is pretty close and can beat the Ryzen 9 3900X in very particular high frecuency tasks.

Also as alexbirdie wrote, it all depends on resolution, at 1440p high details, intel chips will give you a few extra FPS in some games (1 digit gap), but with the current GPU series thats only if you take in consideration the very best of them, RTX 2080TI.

EDIT: if you go with the Ryzen 7 3700X you can save up the money and put it toward a new Zen 3 cpu later this year or in 2021 and get a nice bump in performance.
If you go with the Core i5 10600K you can save the money and if intels deliver get a new 11th gen CPU later down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rdslw
Hi all,

3900x will not be suported for very long, its platofrm that will be replaced in 2021 so you will get 1 or 2 more cpu gens that fits the socket and new board, and that's it. Then we will get am5 with ddr5 support.
so if you would try go get on am4 3 years ago, it would still can take 3900x now, but soon support for this socket will end.

However, this is a gaming pc and from what I can tell, Intel is still king when it comes to gaming performance.
its by few %. If all she want is pure gaming fps intel will be stronger.
if you want either good price to performance or she will stream, amd will do better.

Current prices are as follows:

Ryzen 9 3900x - £433.98
Ryzen 9 3950x - £689.99 (not ideal)

Intel i9-9900k - £449.99
Intel i9-10900k - £529.98

These chips will be cooled by a Corsair H150i Pro XT and partnered with an ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER STRIX GAMING and 32GB of DDR4-3600MHz memory.

The idea behind the build is to be as good as it can be right now, with the option to upgrade going forward.

Yes, I know the new 3080 cards are coming out soon but my friend doesn't want to wait unfortunately.

Any suggestions? Would be massively appreciated!
going for ryzen9 for gaming is an overkill, very little games benefit from this.
I would go for 3700x/3800x as its already plenty for games (unless she streams, then 3900x)
and use cash for more storage.
also ryzen really likes fast ram, so consider 4200 if they are not more than 25% pricier than 3600

Reactions: RodroX
Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
this is partly due to reports that Intel's 1200 socket is only going to be used for two generations
I see that no one addressed this...
That's how Intel rolls. They've been doing socket changes every 2 gens for some time now.
AMD is poised to go this route as well for AM5, after all the headaches supporting 300, 400, and 500 chipsets together gave them. They found out the hard way why Intel does it - aside from being greedy.

Erase the term futureproof from your mind, as that cannot be accurately done for products/updates you know nothing about, or how they work/will work.
It is an effort in futility - second-guessing yourself for days on end...

Everyone else already addressed the gaming stuff, and I agree with them.

I see that no one addressed this...
That's how Intel rolls. They've been doing socket changes every 2 gens for some time now.
AMD is poised to go this route as well for AM5, after all the headaches supporting 300, 400, and 500 chipsets together gave them. They found out the hard way why Intel does it - aside from being greedy.

Erase the term futureproof from your mind, as that cannot be accurately done for products/updates you know nothing about, or how they work/will work.
It is an effort in futility - second-guessing yourself for days on end...

Everyone else already addressed the gaming stuff, and I agree with them.

Well I did not write it as well as you did but I ended my post saying something like: get either R7 370X or Core i5 10600K and then upgrade to zen 3 or 11th gen down the road :) .

So yeah in theory, only 1 more cpu update for AM4 and LGA 1200.

If youre in a hurry, theres no way to go wrong unless you pick the current desktop Ryzen apus or intel the 9th gen (yeah I know the Core i9 9900K is a beast but you would be buying a really dead platform with no upgrade path at all).

Reactions: Phaaze88