ioannis2015v

Reputable
Dec 12, 2018
Hi, I need immediate help cause I am going to build a new pc and now I got confused with the rgb fans connection. I will first mention my pc components and then my question.
Case: Coolermaster MasterCase H500
Mobo: Msi X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Fans: 2x 200mm rgb pre-installed fans, 1x 120mm black fan (3pin), 1x 200mm rgb fan extra

So, as I mentioned this case has pre-installed 3 fans and as I 've seen it comes with a rgb controller and I think a cable splitter (not 100% sure). What I want is to be able to control them a little bit but not that much with the controller but with Mystic Light of Msi. If I plug the fans directly to the 4 system fan slot in mobo they will have light but not controllable? So, what should I do? (The mobo has 4 system fan slots) Lastly, the rear 120mm black fan has 3 pin connector, will it plug to the 4 pin slot of mobo? Please help me!!! Thanks in advance..

*Edit: the motherboard has 2 jrgb headers

Last edited:
Solution
Ok thx. Lastly, can I put 2x 200mm rgb fans to the splitter and then to then rgb header 1 and the other 200mm rgb to directly to the rgb header 2? So less fans share the same rgb header? And also, where should I plug the cables of the fans to the splitter (I mean in the back of the case so it's not seen). How; Because I don't want cables beeing inthe middle of the case. Thx again

Okay theres too many generic terms here so let me try to be more specific...

Fan 1 fan plug to motherboard case fan 1 header

Fan 2 fan plug to motherboard case fan 2 header.

Use rgb splitter cable and attach fan 1 and fan 2 rgb headers to said splitter.

Attach fan rgb splitter to motherboard rgb.

If i remember correctly your motherboard only has 1...
Hi, I need immediate help cause I am going to build a new pc and now I got confused with the rgb fans connection. I will first mention my pc components and then my question.
Case: Coolermaster MasterCase H500
Mobo: Msi X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Fans: 2x 200mm rgb pre-installed fans, 1x 120mm black fan (3pin), 1x 200mm rgb fan extra

So, as I mentioned this case has pre-installed 3 fans and as I 've seen it comes with a rgb controller and I think a cable splitter (not 100% sure). What I want is to be able to control them a little bit but not that much with the controller but with Mystic Light of Msi. If I plug the fans directly to the 4 system fan slot in mobo they will have light but not controllable? So, what should I do? (The mobo has 4 system fan slots) Lastly, the rear 120mm black fan has 3 pin connector, will it plug to the 4 pin slot of mobo? Please help me!!! Thanks in advance..

*Edit: the motherboard has 2 jrgb headers

Each fan should have two connectors. One 4 pin for 12V RGB and one 4 pin for the motherboard fan header. The RGB header will be perfectly rectangular with an arrow pointed to one side. This will be the +12V pin. Be sure to connect it to the +12V pin RGB on the motherboard or they won't light up. The 4 pin fan header will have two little slats on the side that line up with the tab on the fan header.

BTW: If these are built like the Master Fan 120/140 RGB series, you'll want to make sure you connect it to a PWM fan header. For whatever stupid reason, cooler master thought it a wise idea to connect LED power to the FAN Power instead of the RGB Header. If your motherboard uses variable voltage to control the fan, your LEDs will be dim, or might not light up at all. So 4 Pin PWM fan header mode is the way to go here.

Last edited:
Reactions: ioannis2015v

ioannis2015v

Reputable
Dec 12, 2018
Each fan should have two connectors. One 4 pin for 12V RGB and one 4 pin for the motherboard fan header. The RGB header will be perfectly rectangular with an arrow pointed to one side. This will be the +12V pin. Be sure to connect it to the +12V pin RGB on the motherboard or they won't light up. The 4 pin fan header will have two little slats on the side that line up with the tab on the fan header.

BTW: If these are built like the Master Fan 120/140 RGB series, you'll want to make sure you connect it to a PWM fan header. For whatever stupid reason, cooler master thought it a wise idea to connect LED power to the FAN Power instead of the RGB Header. If your motherboard uses variable voltage to control the can, your LEDs will be dim, or might not light up at all. So 4 Pin PWM fan header mode is the way to go here.

BTW: If these are built like the Master Fan 120/140 RGB series, you'll want to make sure you connect it to a PWM fan header. For whatever stupid reason, cooler master thought it a wise idea to connect LED power to the FAN Power instead of the RGB Header. If your motherboard uses variable voltage to control the fan, your LEDs will be dim, or might not light up at all. So 4 Pin PWM fan header mode is the way to go here.
Wait, so what should I do if they are like the mf 120/140 rgb? I saw from mobo manual thatthe cpu fan uses auto mode to detect pwm or dc and the other I think they are dc. If I use the included rgb controller what van I do?

Wait, so what should I do if they are like the mf 120/140 rgb? I saw from mobo manual thatthe cpu fan uses auto mode to detect pwm or dc and the other I think they are dc. If I use the included rgb controller what van I do?

MF120 is a 120mm fan MF140 is a 140mm fan. You have a MF200 for a 200mm fan.

You can use the motherboard RGB header OR you can use the controller included with the case.

They have two RGB controllers. One has a USB header that you connect to the motherboard. The other is a fixed function box with buttons that I consider a throw away. I used the USB RGB box for my older non-rgb Z77 motherboard and it works just fine.

Personally I would go for using the motherboard header RGB.

Reactions: ioannis2015v

ioannis2015v

Reputable
Dec 12, 2018
MF120 is a 120mm fan MF140 is a 140mm fan. You have a MF200 for a 200mm fan.

You can use the motherboard RGB header OR you can use the controller included with the case.

They have two RGB controllers. One has a USB header that you connect to the motherboard. The other is a fixed function box with buttons that I consider a throw away. I used the USB RGB box for my older non-rgb Z77 motherboard and it works just fine.

Personally I would go for using the motherboard header RGB.
So, I recapitulate: if I don't want to use the rgb controller, I can put the 3 rgb fans to the splitter and then to the motherboard rgb header. Also each fan should be placed in a sys fan header. Right?

Reactions: digitalgriffin

ioannis2015v

Reputable
Dec 12, 2018
Thats the way it goes.
Ok thx. Lastly, can I put 2x 200mm rgb fans to the splitter and then to then rgb header 1 and the other 200mm rgb to directly to the rgb header 2? So less fans share the same rgb header? And also, where should I plug the cables of the fans to the splitter (I mean in the back of the case so it's not seen). How; Because I don't want cables beeing inthe middle of the case. Thx again

Okay theres too many generic terms here so let me try to be more specific...

Fan 1 fan plug to motherboard case fan 1 header

Fan 2 fan plug to motherboard case fan 2 header.

Use rgb splitter cable and attach fan 1 and fan 2 rgb headers to said splitter.

Attach fan rgb splitter to motherboard rgb.

If i remember correctly your motherboard only has 1 12V rgb 4 pin header. I may be mistaken about this. If you have two 4 pin rgb headers then you can skip tye splitter cable entirely.

As you wire routing that's just something you'll have to figure out yourself. But jayz 2 cents on youtube did a nice video on how he wire routes. Its just something that comes with experience.

Oh and buy some cheap zip ties and velcro loops. Youll be happy you did.

Solution