Question S9 causing all devices to lag when connected to Wi-Fi

Nyanch

Honorable
Jun 8, 2014
Hello everybody,

Recently I couldn't help but notice a major impact on my internet service, reaching spikes of 400ms to 1200ms. Obviously that's no good. After some troubleshooting I found out it was originating from my mother's phone. I found that, if I turn her wi-fi off, everything's OK and ping response times return to normal. Turn it back on, and everything gets sluggish again. I tried going further with my troubleshooting but hit a wall. See, I tried safe mode two times. The first time I only had safe mode on for about five minutes, and everything was quick and responsive. The second time I tried it, it was a longer period of time. Even then, it started slowing down the entire internet. Disable the Wi-Fi from the phone again, and everything was smooth.

Thing is, if safe mode still experiences this issue, then something's going wrong inside the necessary apps and services to run Android. This lead me to believe that it may have been compromised, that something might've hooked itself and burrowed into the system apps from whatever my mother could've downloaded. However, a security scan from a freshly updated version of Malwarebytes proved me wrong; there was no issue with viruses or anything from what it could gather.

This leads me into a spot where I'm not sure what to do. Obviously, nobody wants to lose all their files and applications, so factory reset is the nuclear option. I want to know if anybody here has experienced the same or similar thing to this, and if they found a solution for their problem. If you could, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much for reading!