News Sabrent Crushes Samsung At Their Own Game: Builds World's Fastest M.2 SSD

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
And they need to list the TBW because the 600 on the Samsung drive is terrible.
Is it? 600TB comes out to about 330GB a day, 365 days a year for 5 years. For a 1 TB drive, that would be overwriting the entire capacity of the drive every 3 days for 5 years. What on earth are you doing with your computer that necessitates writing that much data?

Makaveli

Splendid
Is it? 600TB comes out to about 330GB a day, 365 days a year for 5 years. For a 1 TB drive, that would be overwriting the entire capacity of the drive every 3 days for 5 years. What on earth are you doing with your computer that necessitates writing that much data?

My Corsair MP600 1TB drive has 1,800 TBW with TLC memory. My last Desktop computer which was a i7-970 lasted me 10 years! The MLC intel SSD's in that system still work 10 years later. When I build machines they tend to last quite awhile.

This Samsung drive has 1/3 the endurance yet has a Pro tag in the label. They better price this right as its inferior to their own 970 Pro drive minus the PCIe interface.

When you switch from MLC to TLC you take a hit in sustained write performance after you run out of the SLC cache on the TLC drives.

Any pro's that were buying 970 Pro drives with MLC and picking up a 980 Pro drive without knowing Samsung made changes will be surprised at the hit when writing for a Newer drive.

AnarchoPrimitiv

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
Sweet now just need a Corsair MP700 that will be based on this controller :p

Why? Because even though it'll be the same TLC NAND and the same Phison controller, you just have to have a corsair label on it? Corsair is for noobs, those who needlessly want to pay more for a brand name, and anyone that doesn't mind have the same exact stuff as 95% of everyone else.

As a random comparison point of what I consider 'typical desktop usage' with my 960 EVO (4-5 hours per day surfing?), I'm now at about 30 TBW...in 3.3 years'of usage... (At that linear progression of writes/month, it would take me ~60 years to get to 600 TBW!)

Makaveli

Splendid
Why? Because even though it'll be the same TLC NAND and the same Phison controller, you just have to have a corsair label on it? Corsair is for noobs, those who needlessly want to pay more for a brand name, and anyone that doesn't mind have the same exact stuff as 95% of everyone else.

lmao

I actually own a corsair drive and the reason I choose it is because of the Heatsink I don't have any thermal throttling when pushing the drive. My drive doesn't break 63c when pushed compared to some other drives that hit 80c+

Want to comeback when you actually have an adult response and not brand bashing? or to actually add to the topic of this thread?

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
I have to say sequential read/writes are rather meaningless,.

The main reason for this is nature of I/O. I/O is mostly mixed of read/write or numerous small files sequentially (1 file at a time) at very low queue depths.

For the writes, its also not sustainable due to heat.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Sweet now just need a Corsair MP700 that will be based on this controller :p

Its more than enough for end-users though. IF you need to keep erasing your drive and rewrite data to it, you will need a bigger drive instead. These aren't enterprise drives and not meant for servers where data will keep updating.

Makaveli

Splendid
Its more than enough for end-users though. IF you need to keep erasing your drive and rewrite data to it, you will need a bigger drive instead. These aren't enterprise drives and not meant for servers where data will keep updating.

Of course if you like the drive and it meets your needs buy it.

However I'm not the only person pointing out it has half the endurance of the drive it suppose to replace.

I'm not telling people not to buy it just pointing out a fact.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I have to say sequential read/writes are rather meaningless,.

The main reason for this is nature of I/O. I/O is mostly mixed of read/write or numerous small files sequentially (1 file at a time) at very low queue depths.

For the writes, its also not sustainable due to heat.

For most people, I agree that the high sequential read/ write speed is just marketing as they will not experience any tangible improvements in their day to day usage. But for some people, the sequential speed may help, especially when you need to move huge files frequently. The writes are sustainable if you have a chunky cooler and good air flow on it, which unfortunately is starting to become more common. So for laptop users, I feel PCI-E 4.0 SSDs are a waste of money due to limited cooling for the drive and frequent throttling.

In any case, this proves the point that Samsung SSDs are no longer relevant for the high premium that they command.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
'Crush' is not really a word I would use, except for the 'advertised' write speeds. And Sabrent dies not own Phison, last I knew, so it is not Sabrent actually doing the sandbagging here. They are only the first to take advantage. As to the fanbois.... Grow up. Only a fool (and a rich one at that) buys something because of its name.

Time will tell how this new controller works out. And if Phison was sitting on this controller for long, shame on them.

First, I'd like to see some independent benchmarks, say from Storage Review.

The 7000 read speeds must be the top speed you can wring out of PCIe 4 after overhead. It theoretically should be 8000 But that is being picky....

Fantasy time.... Imagine this controller on 4 2TB drives in RAID 0....

D

Deleted member 14196

Raid 0 is useless on ssd. It’s also a really good way to get higher failure rates and lose all your data

Friesiansam

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
Notwithstanding the endurance is way beyond the needs of almost all users, it doesn't look so good when you consider that the quoted endurance for a 1TB 970 Pro is 1200TBW.

It really is amazing you know. Sabrent has come so far. Back when I worked at Tiger Direct, Sabrent was some cheap off-brand for oddball add-in cards (I had a Sabrent PCI sound card). They were kind of like Syba is today.

Now look at them! WTG Sabrent! :D

D

Deleted member 14196

I'll be sticking to Samsung nevertheless. Did you see their PCIE 4.0 SSD? holy moly. When I build a workstation, that's it

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Notwithstanding the endurance is way beyond the needs of almost all users, it doesn't look so good when you consider that the quoted endurance for a 1TB 970 Pro is 1200TBW.
It doesn't if it is cheaper than the Samsung. You're flushing money down the toilet paying for endurance you're never going to come close to using. It's not a case of better safe than sorry. 600TB is so far beyond what you're going to use, that paying a penny more for anything higher is just a waste of money.