News Sabrent Developing Ultra Fast PCIe 5 SSD That Could Hit 14 GBps

InvalidError

Titan
If you cannot push higher clocks, you can still push extra NAND channels at lower individual channel speeds for the same or greater aggregate bandwidth at increased IO concurrency. Of course, then you need a controller with those extra channels.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Apr 1, 2020
So we went from a Mustang in SATA to Porche to a Lamborghini to a Ferrari to a Veyron now to those 1800bhp area electric hypercars, with prices to match.

And this is great for the 1%, but for the other 99% of us, those who don't run hyperscale datacenters, we're waiting for the Ferrari with a Mustang price tag, we want these 4¢/GB drives with Samsung 980 Pro or SK Hynix P41 level performance. No doubt even the 1% want it as well...

Reactions: ezst036

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
So we went from a Mustang in SATA to Porche to a Lamborghini to a Ferrari to a Veyron now to those 1800bhp area electric hypercars, with prices to match.

And this is great for the 1%, but for the other 99% of us, those who don't run hyperscale datacenters, we're waiting for the Ferrari with a Mustang price tag, we want these 4¢/GB drives with Samsung 980 Pro or SK Hynix P41 level performance. No doubt even the 1% want it as well...

I'm still using SATA for my daily driver. I have an NVME in another computer, can't even tell the difference. Not unless I have a specific workload and actively looking for it.

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
The moto of the SSD industry appears to be: "Over-promise and Under-deliver".

A fast gen 4 M.2 SSD does make a noticeable difference in PC performance. These gen 5 SSDs -whenever they actually show, will not provide a major performance diff over gen 4 unless you have large files or many files being accessed concurrently such as in a large database or similar.

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Sabrent Developing Ultra Fast PCIe 5 SSD That Could Hit 14 GBps

These kind of filler "stories" crack me up. Reminds me of CNN's "BREAKING NEWS" for a dog pissing on a sidewalk. Like holy boy/girl who cried wolf. EVERY SSD OEM is doing this exact thing. Its not news, its the newest standard.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
We want fast random, who cares about sequential.

I'm not running a Petabyte cloud datacenter am I.

So far no PCIe 5.0 has shown any improvement in random reads over PCIe 4.0

Intel Optane is still the fastest SSD on the planet, nothing else even comes close.

3D XPoint was a post-NAND technology that got to market ahead of its vaporware competitors. It wasn't fast, cheap, or dense enough to seriously replace DRAM or NAND, so it occupied a new niche tier in the middle that benefited some companies, but wasn't worth investing in. Intel cutting and running says less than Micron doing so first.

Maybe another company will take a stab at introducing some phase change/crossbar/memristor non-volatile memory aiming at NAND and/or DRAM. If you can kill both at the same time, you have universal memory and a new era of computing. I would be satisfied with something better than NAND in every way, even if it doesn't have the speed or endurance to replace DRAM. It would also be nice to see some 3D DRAM with higher capacity and lower cost-per-bit for consumers.

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022

I'll pass on the Spamsung. I've lost faith in them. But the Sabrent is tempting, as would be an SK Hynix. Have you seen prices lately? pcie 4 drives (even the fast ones!) are like almost given away as door prizes. I'm already over-storaged or I'd go get a few more.

InvalidError

Titan
Lol! Good one! As if today's programmers can actually write efficient code!
Hah! Go ask one what a "thread" is and watch them look at their clothes...
:)
Efficiency and speed are only loosely related, even more loosely when you do multi-threaded stuff. The most heavily optimized single-threaded code will still be slow if it has too much stuff to process and breaking the thing in more manageable chunks tends to introduce significant overhead in both programming effort and management. Often not worth bothering with.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I"m sure the prices on these won't be cheap.

GEN IV will be the sweet spot for a while.

4TB NVME is down to 216 now!!!!

Be nice as more larger sizes get affordable.

PCIE Gen 5 drives are super super slow to actually get to market.

InvalidError

Titan
I"m sure the prices on these won't be cheap.
I wouldn't recommend buying into the first couple of generations unless you absolutely need the bandwidth for specific reasons anyway. Future PCIe 5.0 controller implementations are pretty much certain to become more energy-efficient just like it did with 4.0. It took about four years for 4.0x4 SSDs to reach price parity with 3.0x4 ones, it'll probably be a similar story with 5.0x4.

Reactions: sonofjesse

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
Efficiency and speed are only loosely related, even more loosely when you do multi-threaded stuff. The most heavily optimized single-threaded code will still be slow if it has too much stuff to process and breaking the thing in more manageable chunks tends to introduce significant overhead in both programming effort and management. Often not worth bothering with.

Preaching to the choir bro. Been doing both efficiency and multi-threading for over 40 years.
:)