Question Sabrent External SSD is not recognized by MSI BIOS

jaydoc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
Hi all

I have a sabrent external nvme SSD that uses USB-c or USB3 to connect to a PC. It creates a PCI-USB bridge to do this. This drive works on every computer I have used it on except my desktop.

This desktop has an MSI gaming m7 ac X470 motherboard with the latest BIOS and compatible AMD chipset. Every other USB device I have is recognized in every port the PC has. All internal drives including two m.2 SSDs are recognized. But this external SSD doesn’t show up in the bios. It did not show up in Windows or Linux running on this PC either.

I have no idea why this is happening. Strangely enough when I used an older BIOS version this drive did get recognized on this PC. I can’t however go back to any previous bios version as it doesn’t allow rollbacks.

Any help is appreciated

jaydoc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
Answering my own question...

I downgraded the BIOS using the flash bios button and then upgraded to the latest version.
I then tried to insert the drive and no dice. I then tried the Win 10 hardware troubleshooter and the drive was recognized before the troubleshooter had run for more than a few seconds.
Not sure how or why this worked.
I still need to find out if it is recognized by the BIOS or my Linux OS.