Safe to change memory speeds? F4-3000C16D-16GTZR

PandaParadox

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
So I'm still kind of new to the whole PC building thing and didn't think to check compatibility for Ryzen and memory and whatnot. My memory, Trident Z RGB F4-3000C16D-16GTZR, is currently running at 2133Mhz according to CPU-Z.

My question would be, is it safe to try going for 2400Mhz in the Bios? Or should I count the simple fact that my memory runs at all as a blessing?

Solution
Its perfectly safe to try, It will likely do better than 2400mhz. All it will do if you choose a setting too high is fail to boot or cause instability, both can be solved by just reversing what you did to cause it. You wont permanently damage RAM by changing the speed and timings.

That looks like HyniX IC RAM which is not normally what I would recommend for ryzen if you want the best memory speeds but it will work perfectly fine, most hynix ram will tap out around 2933mhz CL17 or thereabouts.

To OC the RAM first I would enable XMP or I believe its called DOCP on ryzern systems in the bios. This will set the ram to run at its advertised speeds of 3000mhz CL16 1.35v. After your turn on DOCP restart the pc and see if it boots, I doubt...

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

yes 2400mhz should work fine, you can even try for 2666mhz or 2933mhz depending on which board you are using, for now, I recommend you dont use any software to control the LEDs, its kills the ram.

Just change the speed, leave volts and timings on auto, you can even try loading XMP profile 1.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
Some BIOS don't properly set the speed. Do a BIOS update first, then check the officially supported speed the the motherboard will take. You could try to manually set it to 3000mhz is the board can do it. Worst case, it won't boot and you can reset the bios jumper on the board and try a different speed.

Usually when the memory speeds are wrong, the machine will boot but will be very erratic. If you get it to 2400 or 3000 or whatever you want, and it boots and it works fine, then its all good.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Its perfectly safe to try, It will likely do better than 2400mhz. All it will do if you choose a setting too high is fail to boot or cause instability, both can be solved by just reversing what you did to cause it. You wont permanently damage RAM by changing the speed and timings.

That looks like HyniX IC RAM which is not normally what I would recommend for ryzen if you want the best memory speeds but it will work perfectly fine, most hynix ram will tap out around 2933mhz CL17 or thereabouts.

To OC the RAM first I would enable XMP or I believe its called DOCP on ryzern systems in the bios. This will set the ram to run at its advertised speeds of 3000mhz CL16 1.35v. After your turn on DOCP restart the pc and see if it boots, I doubt it will but you have to start somewhere. If it does not boot either wait for it to fail and it should restart and enter the bios automatically if it does not do a hard shutdown and turn it back on and go into the bios. Then start gradually lowering the memory speed until it boots. Then you may want to run something like Memtest86 to verify the ram is stable and you are good to go.

You can play with timings as well, but its a bit more complicated. On ryzen speed generally provides a larger performance boost than lower timings, so you can raise the timings to hopefully allow for stable faster speeds.

EDIT: Forgot to mention to update the bios as said above, that is a good idea before you start OCing the RAM. If you dont know how to update the bios its in your mobo's manual, follow it STEP BY STEP you dont want to screw up a bios update.

Solution