Question Safe to install 64-bit system?

alex.skuber0

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
Hello. I was wondering about this.

My second CPU doesn't have a cooler, but I currently have 32-bit system installed, so the system doesn't use the second CPU.

I am not sure if it's safe to install a 64-bit system, because I know if you install a 64-bit system, it will use both CPUs. I do not want to destroy the motherboard.

Can somebody help me with this question please?

My PC Info:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.00 GHz
RAM: 5GB DDR2
GPU: Intel HD Graphics

The second CPU is right under the Hard Drive. I have a network server motherboard, which means I have multiple CPUs on the motherboard, not like All-in-One like most new motherboards have.

I have Dell Optiplex 760.

We need to know your EXACT system specs, make, model, Etc.

USAFRet

Titan

Need full details of the system, please.

But you DO need a fan of some sort on both CPU's.

lemon.oooh

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
I'm trying to help him/her or it. Yes you need to get a CPU cooler because 64 bit system is not only more demanding but, it use more resource at idle environments do not install using Win 10 without a CPU fan Win 7 and XP is an exception depending on what your doing. Now if you have a Intel Celeron or perhaps a Pentium you can add a conductor of some sort on top like a aluminum plate or brass just make sure to add thermal material between it like toothpaste or compound and it should work.

USAFRet

Titan

That's not helping either.
And you can't dual CPU with Celerons or Pentiums.

Let us wait until the OP replies back with some system specs, OK?

alex.skuber0

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
Don't worry, it was solved. I was just stupid and forgot computers have a chipset and it actually wasn't a second CPU. Sorry for asking this dumb question because I know I just wasted your time. I'm just dumb sometimes, but you probably can't blame me, can you?