SALE: Holiday Games Heavily Discounted on Steam

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
They should have put all the new good games (l4d2, mw2, and dirt2) on sale for fair prices.. those are the games people want and they'd sell more. but meh.. is shadow of chernobyl any good? I got it ages ago and never tried it.

G

Athreex:

Steam gives serial keys for all the games that use them. Serial keys are not used for Valve games because Steam acts as a verification tool. Serial keys are easy to hack and steam verification is not. Steam acts as a DRM. If steam dies so does of the games that require Steam verification (Ex: every Valve game). The chance of that happening is practically impossible. Even if Valve went bankrupt someone else would take over steam.

Downloading the ISO would defeat the purpose of steam. With steam you do not have to insert, and btw keep, a CD around to boot the game. Everything is seamless. Anyone with a broadband connection can have their game anywhere in the world in ~1-5 hours depending on speed and size of game. Yes, this is 100-500x longer then installing with a CD (assuming no patches). However, it would take just as long to download an ISO off the internet as it would to download an ISO. (torrenting may be a little faster. However, torrenting an ISO just for an install would require so much extra work that it would defeat the purpose.)

Another advantage of Steam is it automatically patches the games for you.

With steam all your games are in one place. Steam provides great networking tools that allow you to message and talk to other players in game. You can be playing TF2 and seamlessly talk to someone playing Mass Effect.

Steam is the future. Get used to it because soon all the major titles will be requiring Steam verification (MW2 and FEAR2 are both perfect examples).

trevorvdw

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]They should have put all the new good games (l4d2, mw2, and dirt2) on sale for fair prices.. those are the games people want and they'd sell more. but meh.. is shadow of chernobyl any good? I got it ages ago and never tried it.[/citation]

L4D2 and Dirt 2 are on sale.

G

*Edit*

Games will require client verification. If M$ or some other company can acquire enough market share they may eventually give Steam a run for it's money.

Mirror's Edge is easily one of the best game of 2008 with Dead Space.

I plan on getting a copy on this boxing day sale. I will probably pay 10$ more, but I will get a physical copy.

SHAME on EA for shutting down any possibilities of seeing a sequel! Bidding on Sports rehashes years after years is their answer for a good business model. I hate sports game and I will always hate them... there is almost no difference between NHL 2007 and 2010...

lapalm

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Thx Tomshardware for the info, just bought GTA IV, Rome Total War and Stalker (for under 2 bucks!!!) for under 15$.

Made my day.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]milktea[/nom]Why didn't they offer CoD6 Modern Warfare 2 for $4.99?[/citation]

Because people are still buying it for $59.99.

[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]It's people like you that make PC game devs blame everything on piracy and not make PC games.[/citation]

I am sorry, but devs are now searching an easy way to make a few dollars... so they develop xbox 360 games and port them to the PC.

I am sorry, but using PhysX over Havok, blocking ATI users the freedom to use Anti-aliasing and stupid rootkit protection with limited installs are pissing off PC users.

You want to name it, here we go...

Batman Arkham Asylum use of PhysX... ATI is the new king, for god sake let just blow this whole farce of PhysX!

Modern Warfare 2... do i need to tell more?

Bioshock limited installs...

Microsoft swapping Alan Wake PC release for an exclusive deal spitting on the face of PC Remedy fanbase. Max Payne is a PC franchise and put Remedy on the map.

And I could go on and on about the PC game devs not respecting PC user with abusive anti-piracy controls like the damn Games for Windows live crap that Microsoft want to make us swallow. I didn't buy a damn XBOX, so please just leave me be... I don't want a damn Games for Windows Live account!

[citation][nom]acecombat[/nom]I have no problem shelling out >$10 for a good PC game from steam. The problem is when they release games and expect $40-$80 for a game (I'm in Australia so the prices may be different for you guys) and then they end up being crappily censored (L4D2) because of stupid laws!!![/citation]
That sucks

[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]I am sorry, but devs are now searching an easy way to make a few dollars... so they develop xbox 360 games and port them to the PC.I am sorry, but using PhysX over Havok, blocking ATI users the freedom to use Anti-aliasing and stupid rootkit protection with limited installs are pissing off PC users.You want to name it, here we go... Batman Arkham Asylum use of PhysX... ATI is the new king, for god sake let just blow this whole farce of PhysX!Modern Warfare 2... do i need to tell more?Bioshock limited installs...Microsoft swapping Alan Wake PC release for an exclusive deal spitting on the face of PC Remedy fanbase. Max Payne is a PC franchise and put Remedy on the map.And I could go on and on about the PC game devs not respecting PC user with abusive anti-piracy controls like the damn Games for Windows live crap that Microsoft want to make us swallow. I didn't buy a damn XBOX, so please just leave me be... I don't want a damn Games for Windows Live account![/citation]
That was my point. Part of the reason for this (or so they claim) is that piracy itself. If you think piracy doesn't cause *any* damage, you are mistaken.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
wtf is wrong with some of you people?

you don't go, "oh, this game is shit, so that gives me the right to pirate it for free"

if you don't like it, then don't buy it! and don't play it!!

using torrents as a try before you buy scheme is ok (but still wrong), even using them, and then picking the game up when its not its ridiculous full price anymore is understandable, but ffs! who is so cheap that they will play a game but won't pay $2 for it!? thats like a small drink at McDonalds!?

you should be hanging your heads in shame, anyone who can afford the computer necessary to run these games can afford $2 for a game!!

on that note, anyone who can afford the like many$$$ a month for an iPhone contract should be able to spend more than 99c on a game as well!

footsoldier

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
$2 for STALKER..come on how cheaper can it be? Those who still go torrent and download the pirated STALKER at this time are either stupid or retarted. Peace.

footsoldier

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
[citation][nom]milktea[/nom]Why didn't they offer CoD6 Modern Warfare 2 for $4.99?[/citation]

lol..its like reaching impossible.

Anyway, $2 for STALKER..come on how cheaper can it be? Those who still go torrent and download the pirated STALKER at this time are either stupid or retarted. Peace.

dhowie

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]visa[/nom]Good call; didn't realize you could do that. Wish I would've known that 5 days ago when I reloaded my PC but I'll just get my money's worth out of my ISP for now[/citation]

haha i didn't know either, thats very helpful

fuzmorten

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
STEAM VALVE sucks eternally not because they charge but because they have no CUSTOMER SERVICE. unless you consider being told to log in to steam without any anti-spyware or anti-virus running sound advice. They need to loosen up their sphincter and be more user friendly. I got Half Life 2 last year and have yet to be able to play it and no they don't give refunds.

sinsear

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
[citation][nom]footsoldier[/nom]$2 for STALKER..come on how cheaper can it be? Those who still go torrent and download the pirated STALKER at this time are either stupid or retarted. Peace.[/citation]
I love how you can get STALKER cheaper than 95% of the drinks at Starbucks.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]thearm[/nom]Forget Steam. If I don't get a key, I'm not buying the software.[/citation]

Yeah your dumb, if you bothered to look you right click the game you have installed and in the window that pops up there is a "key" selection. So yeah you get a key, just not the CD media...

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
I baught an early present for myself from steam. Staker it was. I spent $20 on it... and now its $2... huuuuuuhhhhhhhh =/ At least i got clear sky and gta4 for $13 =)

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
STALKER was good, creepy too, as in it the atmosphere gives you the creeps while playing it. Not a Big fan of STEAM though. After Fallout 3 I will not even buy any game that requires I use Games for Windows Live ever again.
Luckily with Fallout 3 you can copy the hidden files to the Fallout 3 dir and not use the piece of crap GFWL.

Status
Not open for further replies.