Question Same Old Story | PC keep restarting when playing high demanding games

Dec 12, 2022
Hello everyone, I started losing my mind about this since this is my problem and always escalated every time, the point is I can't do gaming properly since I upgrade it in early 2021, and until today my pc still restarted when I played high demand GPU games. But when I played Valorant, and Dota2. I'm not facing it though, I'd be stressed by now since I got this restart in time when I upgraded my pc one by one. I already have the PSU (the latest upgrade of my pc, since it would be the most suspicious culprit from all of this misery) but still, my problem occurs.

stressful restarting case: when I played a big demanding GPU game, it can only last 2-30 minutes, and suddenly restart, not having the BSOD, not having the black screen, only restart, I also installed who crashed, and untick the automatic restart after system failure and it still restarting, even one time when I want to create a single 3-minute video for an interview with OBS, it can be restarted (but this is just 2 times occurs when I start opening and operating 10-time obs record or youtube streaming)

what have I done: I have done mostly everything, from changing the hardware, changing the pad and paste, and all the software-related changes (page file set to automatic, untick automatic restart, change power plan, update latest windows, verify game files, etc) mostly from all tom's hardware forum related to my problem but none of this fixed.
what have I not yet done: try to boot my pc in my friend's house (since i think the problem is my boarding house, swap the gpu to the other gpu (since I have one only),

conclusion from me: I didn't know the culprit since my components is upgrading since (in order) gpu (used to use onboard ryzen vega gpu)->mobo->ram->cpu->ssd sata-psu. I wanted to start game channel streaming, and cannot be done since I still got this. If you guys have any idea about this happened, please let me know, and I thank you for the rest of my life😥

my specs:
Hardware:

CPU: AMD ryzen 5 5600
VGA: xfx RX 5500 xt
RAM: corsair vengeance rgb pro sl 16 gb (2x8 gb : slot 2 and 4 <- cannot change to 1 and 3 because of the size of the cooler cpu)
Mobo: MSI tomahawk b450m max
PSU: gigabyte pb-550 (latest change it to Cooler Master V750 GOLD V2 White Edition 80+ Gold)
CPU Cooler: cooler master hyper 212 led turbo white
Fan: 3 Sickle flow cooler master (exhaust) + 3 Fan stock from the case (inhaust)
SSD: 512gb Sata Apacer
-----
Software:

BIOS: ver. 7C02v3D (I cannot update to the latest since my cpu is not compatible to the latest, see: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX/support#bios

---------------------
temp: (the case when I played the hunter: call of the wild; just only go in the start screen and 2 minutes later)
cpu idle: 32 degrees
gpu idle: 35-39 degrees (with fan on)
gpu idle: 41-46 degrees (with fan off)
====
cpu game: 42-55 degrees
gpu game: 78-86 (current temperature) 82-93 (junction temperature) (for this I just already change the pad and the paste)

watt: (I bought watt meter since I thought my electricity problem)
idle: 110-115 watt
game: 220-230 watt (the hunter: call of the wild)
ps: my rice cooker was 340watt when it comes to cooking rice (30-40 minutes), and I think my boarding house electricity was fine.

Dave8671

Distinguished
Hi
Have you downloaded the latest version of the GPU drivers?

I assume you upgraded from windows 10 to windows 11? I know that is a option through I never upgrade from one to another I clean install to a new OS. I know its a bit of a pain but this way users will know if its a windows 11 issue or carry over from windows 10. I have as yet installed windows 11. Did you install the latest drivers from your graphics card website?

Windows 11 is known for having gaming issues. lets attempt to repair it on the link below follow the health check option.

https://www.windowscentral.com/soft...-use-dism-to-repair-local-image-on-windows-11

Dec 12, 2022
Hi
Have you downloaded the latest version of the GPU drivers?

I assume you upgraded from windows 10 to windows 11? I know that is a option through I never upgrade from one to another I clean install to a new OS. I know its a bit of a pain but this way users will know if its a windows 11 issue or carry over from windows 10. I have as yet installed windows 11. Did you install the latest drivers from your graphics card website?

Windows 11 is known for having gaming issues. lets attempt to repair it on the link below follow the health check option.

https://www.windowscentral.com/soft...-use-dism-to-repair-local-image-on-windows-11

wow, I never thought of it though, Yes you're right, I am upgrading from windows 10 to windows 11 through the update settings (this one I forgot if I'm installed from the usb or update settings, but I'm sure I'm updating from the update settings). So you mean that sometimes Windows 11 have issues with gaming (or it is clear) and can I get rid of the problem with using DISM to repair local image on win 11 or if it still have the restart issue after doing that I can go back clean install Windows 10 back to the beginning right?

and I already install the latest drivers from my graphic card website, and I choose windows 11, but the issue that I have is I have to manually go to the website, and downloaded the latest, not checking from the AMD Adrenaline Software, because the option was there, sometimes when I click 'Check the updates' it's always said you are up to date, but when I go to the website (https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap...d-radeon-rx-5500-series/amd-radeon-rx-5500-xt) I always bookmarked it, and I always find a new software newer than my version of the driver. I already DDU my software twice this week so I can make sure there is no corrupt in my Adrenaline software, and the problem is still occurring.

thank you @Dave8671 for the answer, I going to do the DISM first and I'll give the update here.

Dave8671

Distinguished
When using Adrenaline Software read the known issues on the versions website. This may alert you to possible issues with games you maybe want to play. I have a Nvidia Geforce Experience mainly for driver updates.

The DISM does scan and will replace corrupted files as needed. but will it fix your issue depends on if its a system has corruption when the system was upgraded. I always preform clean install from one windows to another release. Windows 10 will be supported till 2025. so I have time.

I do not like being a tester for Microsoft I monitor the bugs that pop up from every release. I recently updated this system to latest version of windows 10 after I read the bugs were fixed.

Clean install is a bit more involved I have to have all my apps downloaded and ready. Backup all my files to another drive which I use FreeFilesSync for backups . And I backup my backups <--- this one I am still working on.

Dec 12, 2022
wow, I never thought of it though, Yes you're right, I am upgrading from windows 10 to windows 11 through the update settings (this one I forgot if I'm installed from the usb or update settings, but I'm sure I'm updating from the update settings). So you mean that sometimes Windows 11 have issues with gaming (or it is clear) and can I get rid of the problem with using DISM to repair local image on win 11 or if it still have the restart issue after doing that I can go back clean install Windows 10 back to the beginning right?

and I already install the latest drivers from my graphic card website, and I choose windows 11, but the issue that I have is I have to manually go to the website, and downloaded the latest, not checking from the AMD Adrenaline Software, because the option was there, sometimes when I click 'Check the updates' it's always said you are up to date, but when I go to the website (https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap...d-radeon-rx-5500-series/amd-radeon-rx-5500-xt) I always bookmarked it, and I always find a new software newer than my version of the driver. I already DDU my software twice this week so I can make sure there is no corrupt in my Adrenaline software, and the problem is still occurring.

thank you @Dave8671 for the answer, I going to do the DISM first and I'll give the update here.

Hei, I might found something here, so after I do the DISM, but before I do all of the things, I reattached my gpu and added the pad more (because when I change it the first time, my previous pad is thicker than I applied) so I apply it again and change the paste, and the temperature colder than before. And then I do the DISM, and I try to do it with my fan tuning enabled [photo], and surprisingly when I go to the same game loading screen it can stay and not restart after 10 minutes straight (the current temp: 68, junction temp: 77), and I close the game and try the fan tuning is disabled [photo] and start the same game, and it close after 2 minutes (the current temp: 72, junction temp: 84).

I am kinda suspicious of the temp of my gpu, I think my gpu cannot hit 80+ temp, if so that would be so absurd knowing that the average gpu can handle 95 degrees (I don't know a situation like this can happen).

Hey, I also have this information, my monitor is so old [Dell E2016HV] and since my monitor only has a VGA port, and I'm using the converter VGA to HDMI, I'm not sure the converter is the high-quality one, but they do the work done. Did this by any chance have the possible cause of my restarting problem? since this problem that I have is when I decided to upgrade my pc beginning with the gpu, and the problem is here and there since then. If so, should I change my monitor first or upgrade my gpu after that? My patience for AMD gpu is done by now, I want to move to NVIDIA after this

When using Adrenaline Software read the known issues on the versions website. This may alert you to possible issues with games you maybe want to play. I have a Nvidia Geforce Experience mainly for driver updates.

The DISM does scan and will replace corrupted files as needed. but will it fix your issue depends on if its a system has corruption when the system was upgraded. I always preform clean install from one windows to another release. Windows 10 will be supported till 2025. so I have time.

I do not like being a tester for Microsoft I monitor the bugs that pop up from every release. I recently updated this system to latest version of windows 10 after I read the bugs were fixed.

Clean install is a bit more involved I have to have all my apps downloaded and ready. Backup all my files to another drive which I use FreeFilesSync for backups . And I backup my backups <--- this one I am still working on.

I am not really noticing the known issues on the website, I just know that if the community is not really bothered by this, I would not look into it, but after this, I will do so.

I am already performing the DISM, and I cannot say more because my computer did not face any corrupt files whatsoever [photo], and I think I'll go back to windows 10 though, I don't remember much before I decided to upgrade it to win 11 I'm not gaming that much, and I just care about the up to date version of my windows, and also they said for gamer windows 11 is really great, but since I didn't have monitor support auto-HDR and did not yet use dx12 ultimate, I think I'd roll back into win 10, god forbid my problem is still there