Samsung 4K TV motion smoothing problem

Zoli from BP

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Hey guys, so I bought a Samsung 4K tv today, I'm using it as a monitor and I really like it apart from one problem, the bastards at Samsung put the motion smoothing feature into this tv, but failed to create a settings option for it. I have these seven options in the "picture options" menu:

Colour Tone
Digital CleanView
MPEG Noise Filter
HDMI Black Level (not available)
Film Mode (not available)
Analogue Clean View (not available)
And finally LED Clear Motion, which turns the tv into the flickering nightmare of an epyleptic person.

In the advanced settings I only have color options.

The TV clearly does this smoothing thing (that's how I noticed it, obviously), but you can't turn it off through the menu, basically. I called Samsung, they basically said "tough luck buddy, you can return the TV if you want". Is there any way to turn this thing off through a PC software or something? I use it as a monitor anyway. Or maybe a Kmplayer setting? This feature only a problem while watching movies or television series, but it would be pretty hard for me to get used to it. Please tell me there is something I can do. Thanks guys!

Solution

Its processing that is done within the TV, there is nothing you can do about of it short of finding some way to hack the firmware of the TV. I have never heard of someone doing that, as well if you did you would lose your warranty. I would suggest buying another TV instead.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
There is definitely a way to turn it off, I have a Samsung 4k tv and I turned that crap off immediately.

Under Advanced options look for "Auto Motion Plus" and turn it off. You may need to do it for each input individually if you use more than 1 input.

Zoli from BP

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Dynamic Contrast, Black Tone, Flesh Tone, RGB Only Mode, Colour Space, White Balance and Gamma, those are unfortunately the only options in the advanced options menu. Could it be possible that Samsung really made a TV with that function without allowing you to turn it off? That would be so mind-numbingly dumb!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Where are you located? The manual did say something about that this option is unavailable in certain regions.

Can you give me the exact model number of the TV?

Zoli from BP

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
I'm in Hungary and the model number is UE43JU6000. That doesn't sound good mate, I'm pretty sure I'm screwed then. It's mind boggling that they will activate this feature without giving you a chance to turn it off, especially since they have to know that many can't stand it. I would love it for sports and games but it's terrible for movies and tv shows. Oh well, I'm guessing I'm gonna have to send it back then and pick one where you can turn this feature off.

Zoli from BP

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Yeah, it mentions it, but also the fact that it is not available in some geographic region, clearly in mine. Is there any Samsung software I could download to my PC? Or any other PC software or Nvidia Display settings?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Its processing that is done within the TV, there is nothing you can do about of it short of finding some way to hack the firmware of the TV. I have never heard of someone doing that, as well if you did you would lose your warranty. I would suggest buying another TV instead.

Solution

Zoli from BP

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Yeah, sadly this is what's going to happen. There is an LG television with the same exact capabilities and price range, would you recommend an LG television? I would obviously make sure you can turn that feature off in that one (it's called TruMotion with LG).

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I actually have a LG 4k tv as well, I like it a lot. Mine does allow you to disable trumotion, its kind of buried in the menus. IMO the screen on my LG is more evenly lit than my Samsung.

Zoli from BP

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014

That's awesome, it's decided then! I wrote their customer service (LG's) and they confirmed that I can turn TruMotion off in this region. Thank you very much for your help!