Discussion Samsung 870 EVO Not To Be Trusted

anticeon

Distinguished
May 22, 2014
NVME/M2 SSD are mostly already in RAID mode (Multiple NAND combined in one PCB plate)
And since it using PCI-e and high bandwith ... Software level Raid basically a time bomb.
I think NVME need specific Hardware to handle to Very high bandwith of them.

fishyjack

Commendable
Jul 21, 2021
Failures have been sprinkled through basically all 2021 batches. January seems to have been the worst one though. I had a 2tb made in October 2021 and it failed in the exact same way as a January 2021 2tb it replaced.

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?p=305999#p305999

If anyone is using 870 EVO, 970 EVO Plus, 980, 980 PRO, or PM981A SSDs, please update the firmware as soon as possible. These drives have been associated with premature degradation, and if you notice abnormal values in the Smart (OE) attributes of these drives, please back up your data promptly. Samsung has released corrected firmware updates, but I believe the primary issue stems from premature degradation of flash memory chip cells.

The operation of the corrected firmware may be similar to the failure patterns seen during the time of 840 EVO release. To avoid a large-scale recall, Samsung has added in the firmware logic: after a certain time, the controller rewrites cold data to new locations to mitigate data loss caused by cell degradation. However, in this mode, the actual write rate to the flash memory increases, reducing the flash memory's durability.