willyburns

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
Hi,

I'm going out of my mind with this one. I recently upgraded my motherboard, RAM, CPU, and GPU, formating the M.2 NVMe drive I used as my OS drive in my old system in an 'ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme' (where it worked perfectly for seven years), and installing a fresh copy of Windows 11 via a bootable flashdrive created using the Windows tool.

Upon booting for the first time everything seemed fine, I used GIGABYTE's "out of the box" settings for the CPU, and X.M.P. 1 for the RAM, and the M.2 drive showed up under the "Peripherals" section of the "Easy" mode of the UEFI, which the board defaults to. I installed the GPU and left it at stock settings and everything seemed fine for the first few cold boots.

After a few days of use I started getting the Windows Recovery bluescreen, where I tried "Startup Repair" to no avail, and noticed the M.2 was now not showing under any of the sections it was before. I tried moving the drive to the "M2A_CPU" slot from the "M2C_CPU" top slot since this shares PCIe lanes with the GPU and saw some people suggesting this might work, but it didn't.

After searching forums and watching videos I tried using MemTest64 to check the RAM and that was fine; used Windows Checkdisk in Safe Mode and this reported no faults; enlarged the Boot Manager partition on the OS drive from 100 MB to 500 on the advice of of another Tom's user; installed a fresh Win 11 on an old Kingston 2.5" SSD drive (which works fine and shows up in the BIOS), while I reformatted the M.2 drive again before putting a fresh Win 11 on it; have made sure CSM and Secure Boot are both disabledb however, NOTHING had made a difference until this morning where I decided to try moving the M.2 back to the top position again – which requires taking the GPU out – and lo and behold the M.2 showed up in all areas in the BIOS . . . for a single boot (see Imgur pictures) – then upon cold booting again without the GPU in, it disappeared again and I recieved my old friend the Recovery bluescreen like somebody from your past that you take a 30 minute detour in order to avoid passing thrm in the street of the cold, grey town you swore you'd have left by now . . .

Does anyone have a clue what's going on here? In Samsung Magician and HWinfo the drive is reporting as healthy, and when I do get into Windows – by clicking ESC in the Recovery bluescreen and booting through the BIOS – everyrhing stays on rock solid without issue until I turn off and try and cold boot the next day.

The following is s link to the images I've discussed:

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/FQHYL8g

My specs are as follows:

- GIGABYTE AORUS Z790 PRO X (Rev 1.0)
- Intel i9-14900K
- 32 GB of Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5 @ 7000 MHz
- RTX 4080 SUPER FE
- Samsung 950 PRO 256 GB M.2 NVMe
- Samsung 850 PRO SSD 1 TB
- ASUS ROG THOR 850W PSU
- NZXT Kraken X72 360 AIO
- Windows 11

Any ideas would be welcome as I had intended to get a more modern, larger capacity Samsung M.2 drive to use as my OS as the 950 PRO was bought in 2017; however, what's the point if this is going to be the result of using an NVMe drive with this mobo?

Thanks

Does anyone have a clue what's going on here?
Replace the drive. It's old and seems to be failing.
in the Recovery bluescreen and booting through the BIOS – everyrhing stays on rock solid without issue until I turn off and try and cold boot the next day.
BSOD is complaining about hibernation file corruption.
Some of your devices/device drivers may have problems with going into sleep mode.
Turn off hibernation.
powercfg -h off

willyburns

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
Replace the drive. It's old and seems to be failing.

BSOD is complaining about hibernation file corruption.
Some of your devices/device drivers may have problems with going into sleep mode.
Turn off hibernation.
powercfg -h off
Thanks once again for a response to a question of mine.

Do you think this would be the case despite Samsung Magician reporting that the drive is healthy, and that it works fine after it boots into Windows? I'm not familiar with how NVMe drives behave when they're at end of life as this is the first and only one I've owned.

The Recovery bluescreen changes – I just happened to have a photo of the hibernation fault code; however, the most consistent fault code is bootmgr failure which is resolved by simply booting via the UEFI. That's what O find so strange about this as my PC sleeps and wakes without issue, it is just on a cold boot that I (sometimes) get the error.

Last edited: