Samsung 950 Pro SSD Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joex444

Distinguished
Hard drive performance barely even show up on the results when we show throughput performance. The reverse happens in the latency tests, the HDD lines are so long you can hardly see the NVMe performance.

The point didn't seem to be to compare SSDs vs HDDs for synthetic benchmarks like I/O, work load, or sustained read/write tests. It's obvious they're on two different scales, separated by orders of magnitude. I think the point was the service time benchmarks in applications which showed that there's a non-measurable performance difference between a 6Gb/s capped SSD and these NVMe drives, even in RAID0. Knowing what an example HDD performs like under those tests would demonstrate real-world performance difference in SSDs and HDDs, motivating HDD users to upgrade to SSDs. It could also essentially illustrate that for those metrics, it doesn't matter what SSD you have so long as you have one.

Also as far as "RAID is a touchy subject" it's worth noting here that the R stands for Redundant. RAID0 offers no redundancy, it just tries to store half of each large file on one disk, and the other half on the other disk (or thirds if you have 3 drives, etc). The use of RAID 1, 10, 5, or 6 is well understood to not be motivated by performance. And users of RAID0 will see faster read/write speeds, but it is really most useful in copying files (but the target/source needs to be able to keep up; a USB3.0 external drive won't benefit from a RAID0 NVMe SSD host/destination).

Also given that Z170 routes the PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 slots through the chipset and therefore via DMI, it would be interesting to compare this to an X99 platform with 40 PCIe lanes where the M.2 slots are attached to the CPU directly. First I'm not 100% sure something like that exists, but if it does it would be a very interesting comparison to see if the DMI interface is slowing anything down, particularly as NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 RAID0 should top out at 64Gb/s (I think this may be 8b10, so 6000MB/s), well beyond the 3000MB/s or so peak that these tests showed on the Z170 platform.

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
> PCIe 3.0 x4 RAID0 should top out at 64Gb/s (I think this may be 8b10, so 6000MB/s)

The PCIe 3.0 spec supports the 128b/130b "jumbo frame",
NOT the 8b/10b legacy frame.

130 bits / 16 bytes = 8.125 bits per byte (jumbo frame)

8 Ghz / 8.125 bits per byte = 984.6 MB/sec.

x4 PCIe 3.0 lanes x 984.6 MB/sec = 3.938 GB/sec. (one direction)

64 GHz / 8.125 bits per byte = 7.88 GB/sec.

Hope this helps.

MRFS

guadalajara296

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015
Does anybody know if Gigabyte gaz170x gaming 7 mb currently supports this Samsung 950 pro to boot Win 10?

Or to ask another way does it Gigabyte 170 platform MB
support NVMe boot support?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

yes i was referring to the real world benchmarks. im well aware than iops on a hdd top out at something like 1000~ seek time is somewhere in the range of 8ms to 45ms (benching my hdds after they are used puts it around there) and average speed puts it somewhere along the lines of 100-120mbps, however in real world performance you would expect a ssd to load a game 500% faster, but in many cases its less than 50%

(just as a quick note, the reason i went from hdd to ssd wasn't because of boot time, because i always thought this was the dumbest metric to measure a drive by, because really, i reboot my computer every... well current uptime for me is 34 days, 8 seconds or 2 minutes given that is pointless, but what made me move to ssd was when i found out how hard my hdd was getting hammered for use, it took a 120mb read write drive and drove it down to 700kb at most... that was what made me switch)

also, toms, just for the sake of another benchmark that people probably aren't thinking of, you should load up a game that relies on streaming textures max out the frame rate as much as possible without sacrificing any texture detail, and wildly shake the mouse around, Rage comes to mind as one where i could see pop in if i move the mouse fast, i had that installed on a hdd, my brother did it with an ssd, we both saw pop in, for me it was tolerable even on a hdd, but for him... even on the ssd he couldn't deal with it, this would be at the very least an interesting benchmark as it seems games are going more and more tward streaming all the textures opposed to loading them all.

also, this forum isnt letting me quote or reply to you, so ill add it manually

I game a lot and i have 850 Pro in 256 GB capacity. You don't really need that much space for games if you keep only 2-3 games installed at once. I play one game at a time, when i finish i just uninstall it. What's the point of saving it on PC if i will not play it again ever or at least for a while.

i personally have a 120gb ssd for boot, that i installed all my programs too, and any program like steam, i move off all the bulk of the data not needed for booting the program off the drive and symbolically link it, this was a system i put in place before steam allowed you to choose the directory you wanted to install to. of my 120gb drive, only about 8-26gb of free space is left depending on how big the page file expands, assuming that i got a 256gb drive or a 512 that has barely any space for games on it as it stands considering how many come out requiring 20-60gb of space (steam preload of gta5 required 120gb), and going forward with the move to try and make 4k a thing, we are going to see games bloat even more, star citizen if i remember right requires 100gb for install, or they are targeting 100gb when all is said and done. an ssd for games just seams ludicrous given how big games are going to get and as of now, how much ssds cost, granted fitting one game on a larger ssd you get for boot will be a viable option.

that said, the way i install games and play them is more along the lines of i have an itch i need to scratch, i keep several racing games from sims to to arcade on just because if i feel like i want to play a specific kind of game i can without waiting an hour or so for the game to download, or other games that are very large like gta5, where yea, i may not want to play the game for several months, but when i do i can. the only genre of game i dont like is real world sports and real time strategy (i hated the old games where i could dump a half hour into a map, build my army for the goal only to be told "nope, that's not what you are building tward anymore, your build is now useless" and all that time i spent in the game is now for nothing.) and the amount of games i have to keep on hand for whenever i get the urge to play a certain genre is fairly large.

TbsToy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
You guys, the way ya promote overpriced things like they are the greatest thing since sliced toast or better than anything that Einstein ever did. Come on. Over exaggerate anything as long as the ad dollars keep coming in, right?
Walt Prill

Davinlevey

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
I always wondered why was M.2 designed to lay flat on the motherboard and not sideways like RAM. Wouldn't you save a lot more space on the mobo, plus if it is sideways you can easily find a spot for it on MITX boards.

Also, if i have a modern motherboard (i have MSI Gaming 5, Z97) do i need to go into the BIOS and change something if i want to install this M.2 NVMe SSD.

I know you had to do something on older mobos when installing an SSD.

The newer Z170 boards have the m.2 slots in between the pci-e slots, so the ssd would fit under the video card, making better use of previously wasted space. I really like this design personally.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
I've read a few reviews on this drive now and the power consumption is rather disappointing for a device in the M.2 form-factor. I guess it's not much different from the SM951, but I was hoping to put one of these into a mini-ITX build where the M.2 socket is on the back side of the motherboard where air flow is poor and I'm not sure that will be a good idea.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
For what its worth I got a 4.3% bump in my Firestrike score when I installed my Kingston Hyperx M.2 on PCIe card (Operating system and driver only, with Steam on a ssd drive.)

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012
Very true but still, I miss the days when I would launch my steam account and have every game I own installed and ready to be played. :(

Friends come over see a game they want to play, I would say sure. Now I have am like... I have it but we have to wait for the install, patches, setting, etc....

Tends to kill the excitement quick.

My two cents.

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

No need to uninstall. Just move under-used games to a different disk.

Older 9-series boards had M.2 as well ( that was actually the main difference between 8 and 9 boards ). However, putting the M.2 under the GPU is a risky affair. Depending on your GPU's heat output and cooler design, half the GPU's waste heat gets blown right onto SSD. Hot flash wears down a lot faster.

I much prefer to see the M.2 slot between the PCIe and CPU areas ( where it's out of the way for most tower coolers and will benefit from stock down-draft coolers ) or below the third PCIe slot where it doesn't get heated by the GPU ( unless you're running SLI/CFX, which most people don't ).

boller

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
There is a chance that what you identified as a garbage collection, in reality is a thermal throttle. Anand's review also supports that theory. Have you seen heatsinks on Intel's drives? Can you glue some heat sinks to your sample's chips and redo testing?

TbsToy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
This drive, 941/951/950, was never designed as a PC drive. It is a notebook/laptop drive that normally doesn't see any constant loads. It works as a desktop/workstation drive but not very well due to the heat and installed location issues. The Intel 750 PCI-e is a PC/desktop/workstation systems/storage drive and is built as one and doesn't have any throttling problems. The Samsung 950 PRO is not the best or fastest drive, by a longshot, or is it the best PC SSD. . . Get the facts right. If additional cooling solutions are needed for the 950 then maybe your doing it wrong.
W.P.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013

Possibly a better move would be to have the m.2 slots as well as the SSD mounts on the backside of the motherboards vertically. .

With the upcoming shrinks to 10-14nm its time to rethink the whole PC, motherboard layout and case design. Large storage area in front of the desktop case is passe with the current small profile Blue ray, thin ssd, and now the M.2 PCIe/NVMe SSDs. Horizontal graphic card design/PCIe slots are inefficient with the hotter high performance video cards and should be arrayed vertically.

kennyplus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Confused RAID 0 Samsung Pro 512GB x 2 on a

This article states:

"We've used ASRock's Z97 Extreme6 for M.2 reviews because it comes with the company's Ultra M.2 slot, which is PCIe 3.0 x4 attached directly to the CPU."

"the 950 Pro performed slightly better, even though the PCIe connectivity routes through Intel's PCH."

"We also ran two 950 Pro 512GB drives in RAID 0 using Intel's Rapid Storage Technology. Z170 motherboards like the ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ have two or more M.2 slots capable of PCIe 3.0 x4 bandwidth."

"To use RST RAID 0 and still boot, the M.2 slots must come from the PCH, RAID Mode must be enabled in the BIOS and the array must be configured either inside the operating system or at the BIOS level"

Here is the confusion:

"ASRock's Z170 Extreme7+ motherboard has three Ultra M.2 slots that support up to 22110 form factor drives. The trio routes through Intel's PCH, so performance is limited by the DMI."

"This is a result of the DMI's limited bandwidth, even though Intel just upgraded the interface to third-gen PCIe."

“most power users will utilize a single SSD, two in RAID 0 (double capacity and performance increase)”

OK, if you look at the ASRock article, the Z170 Ultra M.2 slots bypass the Intel Chipset, PCH, and DMI, by connecting directly to the CPU. See image: http://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?id=2121

The DMI creates the bottleneck, but the two Samsung 950 are plugged into the Ultra M.2 slots which bypass DMI.

So why are we not getting 2.5GB/s x 2 – 5GB/s performance on RAID 0

Please let me know.

John_BBZ

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
you need to had a standard hdd to some of these, such as the gaming benchmark, as i want to say most of us dont have money for a ssd game drive, but a 4tb drive that can almost hold every game you own if you install everything, that's more readily available, apposed to the same price for 1/8th the space.

HDD's have the capacity and if you place a pair of the Seagate SSHD's in RAID Zero, they are pretty decent speed wise and then that capacity is just fine.

However, even so my Steam Library needs at least another 8TB RAID Zero Array as I could only install about 55 percent of my games on this drive.

But the best option is what I did, a Samsung 1TB EVO SSD for my Windows boot/os drive and some games like the Fallout Series, Elder Scrolls Series and Witcher Series and then the HDD RAID Arrays for my other games and various data.

I've seen M.2 mounting on the back of mboards before. However, your idea of "rethink[ing] the whole PC" has some serious problems. The reason we have such a great DIY PC market right now is because of form-factor standards. You start trying to swap around mboard layout standards, and that affects the case. Changes to the case affect the PSU. If you want to petition these manufacturers to accept your proposed layout, go right ahead. But expecting them to re-tool their manufacturing lines is farfetched.

If you want your GPUs to run up and down, get a Raven case. I have one, and it works wonderfully.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013

Last year I assembled a 5820k based PC requiring a new motherboard and new DDR4. Manufacturers keep coming out with new case models with new features (USB 3) no opening for DVR/BRD, side windows, removable cages to make room for longer GPUs etc. New operating systems which won't play my older games. None of which affected my ability to DIY.

The point is that 10-14nm will be a major change that should be used as an opportunity to rethink everything in computer design and layout to make it as efficient as possible. To institute new form factors for 10-14nm computers doesn't change the ability to DIY in the future.

scottfree1_01

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012
Chasing your tail at this point, but how many I don't see doubling down every year on storage, well maybe when they drop to what I paid for my old "obsolete" ssd ($75)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 4.0.3 x64 (C) 2007-2015 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 769.760 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 694.141 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 160.009 MB/s [ 39064.7 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 171.381 MB/s [ 41841.1 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) : 575.701 MB/s
Sequential Write (T= 1) : 560.297 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 19.750 MB/s [ 4821.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 60.386 MB/s [ 14742.7 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [C: 23.8% (53.2/223.4 GiB)] (x1)
Date : 2015/10/26 23:59:31

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8mYkNAF1j8NRXVLVlUzcVNnNE0/view?usp=sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.