[SOLVED] Samsung 970 Evo Plus not showing up

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I just inserted a new Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB to an enclosure and connected to a Windows PC. However, it does not show up when I clicked on the PC icon. Has it been formatted right out of the box?

Hi, I just inserted a new Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB to an enclosure and connected to a Windows PC. However, it does not show up when I clicked on the PC icon.
What enclosure? Can you provide link to the product?
Are you sure, the enclosure is compatible with NVME drives? Some are compatible only with sata M.2 drives.

Also show screenshot from Disk Management.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Reactions: modeonoff

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi,

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme
Bios: F4
CPU: Intel i9-9900K

I have a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB as the internal SSD of my Windows PC already.

Just bought another one and an ACASIS enclosure for backup purpose.

Enclosure:
ACASIS 40Gbps NVMe Enclosure, M.2 Enclosure for Thunderbolt 4/3 USB4.0/3.2/3.1/3.0/2.0, SSD Enclosure Support Size 2280 M&B+M-Key, Aluminum Alloy...

Amazon.com: ACASIS 40Gbps NVMe Enclosure, M.2 Enclosure for Thunderbolt 4/3 USB4.0/3.2/3.1/3.0/2.0, SSD Enclosure Support Size 2280 M&B+M-Key, Aluminum Alloy External NVMe Enclosure USB C Thunderbolt Enclosure : Electronics

It did not show up under Disk Management. Then, I tried the SSD in an old Adwits enclosure bought few years ago:

A Adwits USB 3.1 UASP to PCIe NVMe M.2 2230/2242/2260/2280 High-Performance SSD Adapater, External Enclosure Case for WD Black, Samsung 960 970 EVO PRO Solid State Drive & More, Dark Grey

This time, Disk Manager told me to initialize Disk 1 before I could access it. I chose the default GPT. Then, Disk Management listed it as:

However, the drive still did not show up under Your PC.

Strangely speaking, when I put the SSD back to the ACASIS enclosure, Disk Manager did not list it.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
I put the SSD back to the old Adwits enclosure. Then, performed what you told me and it now shows up under This PC. Thank you.

Now, I put the SSD back to the ACASIS enclosure, the new SSD does not show up under This PC nor Disk Management. Does that mean the ACASIS enclosure is defective?

Last edited:

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
In the future, if I go for the SSD+enclosure route again, do I always have to do what we just went through when I got a new SSD? How come with the Samsung T5 and T7, they always work right out of the box? Is it because Samsung formats T5 and T7 but does not format all these 970 Evo Plus NVME SSD?

Last edited:
In the future, if I go for the SSD+enclosure route again, do I always have to do what we just went through when I got a new SSD?
How come with the Samsung T5 and T7, they always work right out of the box?
External drives can be already formatted. Ready to use.

Bare internal drives usually are not initialized/formatted. You have to do initialization/formatting yourself.

Reactions: modeonoff