Question Samsung 980 Pro - "Read error: UNCR: "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)"

MaxT2

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
I have 2 Samsung 980 Pro NVMe drives that show "Read error: UNCR: "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)" (when testing using Victoria).

Questions:
- What cause these errors ? What are they ?
- Can I solve them myself ?
- Should I contact the manufacturer ? (since I think the drive are still under manufacturer 5 years warranty).

Reactions: white.a.drew
I have 2 Samsung 980 Pro NVMe drives that show "Read error: UNCR: "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)" (when testing using Victoria).

Questions:
- What cause these errors ? What are they ?
- Can I solve them myself ?
- Should I contact the manufacturer ? (since I think the drive are still under manufacturer 5 years warranty).
Great question this happens a lot more then some like.... the key problem your facing is faulty firmware flashed to the drives. And is actually corrected by flashing g the nvmes to samsungs latest firmware for the ssd's. Saddly some of the nvmes once they reach the state yours have will not recover, however most do and show no signs of future errors so far. But if updating the firmware doesn't work I would defiantly reach out to Samsung and let them know you need them replaced

MaxT2

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
Thank you.
Will flashing to the latest firmware reset data on the drives?
One only has some temporary projects works files, so everything is easy to move.
The other drive the the system ... no much important data on it actually, but would I require a system re-installation?

Thank you.
Will flashing to the latest firmware reset data on the drives?
One only has some temporary projects works files, so everything is easy to move.
The other drive the the system ... no much important data on it actually, but would I require a system re-installation?
No no data should be harmed in this process however backing up all data is never a bad idea when messing with a hhd,ssd,nvme. Because there's never telling whatever may happen

Reactions: MaxT2

MaxT2

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
Thank you. Data indeed stays untouched. But it also stays broken.
So I moved everything out of the data disk, fetching broken files from backups or archives. Format the drive. Seems fine now.

Except after flashing the system drive and/or during a reboot in an attempt to re-install the system on the system drive ... there was a reboot after which the data drive was completely unmounted, unformated, non-existing ... had to reformat it again ... not idea what happened.

Regarding the system disk, I plan do a system re-install. (But currently I can't boot from the installation USB because keyboard isn't powered during startup and/or I have something like "ultra fast boot" ... but I'll make a different thread about that.)

Edit: This other thread is here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...se-keyboard-isnt-powered-during-boot.3808730/

Last edited:

MaxT2

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
They're
84% (green) and 574 (orange) for the system drive.
57% (orange) and 8333 (orange) for the data/work drive.

(The colours are those from the "Health" column in Victoria 5.37. And I founds "Media Errors", not "Media and Data Intergrity Errors")

Are these bad for the future? Or should I consider the flashing the firmware may have stabilised the issues or soemthing?

Your SSDs have begun to degrade. Samsung claims that the firmware update should arrest the decline, but I can't see how.

I would watch these numbers regularly. If they continue to grow, consider replacing the drives. And please keep us updated -- I am really keen to know if the new firmware will fix this issue.

MaxT2

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
I would watch these numbers regularly. If they continue to grow, consider replacing the drives. And please keep us updated -- I am really keen to know if the new firmware will fix this issue.

It will be a month a two days and those numbers (Available Spare and Media Errors) haven't changed so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: white.a.drew