[SOLVED] Samsung 980 pro SSD extremely slow when connected to m.2 with CPU lanes.

haseeb98ahm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
I have two 980 pro SSDs 500gb and 1tb. Both of them are extremely slow when connected to top M.2 slot (which is connected via CPU 4x PCIe 4.0 lanes).
8ef5b9027a4b60fff1cdbaff6056bd62.png

Both work as expected with very good results when connected to chipset m.2 slot or through cheap amazon PCIe adapter card.
5d7fccf50bc00e40b8f87d6f5deb0f39.png

And here's 970 Evo plus connected to top M.2 slot (which is connected via CPU 4x PCIe 4.0 lanes).
741074d85fc0a3c3390ac8a8904b6191.png

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5800x
motherboard: MSI x570 gaming plus.
both hardware info and Samsung magician report the SSDs connected through 4x PCIe 4.0

I've updates to SSDs to latest firmware.
bios to latest firmware.
disconnected all SATA devices
disabled onboard LAN and audio devices.
reseat the CPU twice.

Solution
Good enough though. If they are installed and compatible it will use them. To be honest, I've seen better results with the Windows NVME drivers anyhow. Always helps to ask though because not everybody has had the same results and I expect largely it's due to the specific onboard storage controllers on different boards.

Other than that, I'm at a loss. I can't fathom any reason why the 970 EVO would work normally on that M.2 slot but the other drives don't. The only reason I could come up with, and it's a stretch, would be if something were already using enough Gen4 lanes that it doesn't have enough available for full lane width for those drives while the other drive is a gen3 drive. I don't know man, I'm at a loss on this one. Maybe...

haseeb98ahm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
Have you installed the latest AMD chipset drivers from the AMD website support pages?

Are you using the native Windows NVME driver or the Samsung NVME driver?

Yh chipset drivers are up to date.

When I tried installing Samsung NVME express drivers. It sad something like it couldn't find a compatible device. Looked it up and most people were say 980 pro doesn't have any Samsung drivers and it uses windows NVME drivers.

When I installed 970 evo plus back in the system it would let me install the Samsung NVME drivers. but it probably only applied them to 970.

Edit: can confirm, when installing Samsung NVME drivers with 970 Evo in the system it only installs the drivers for 970's storage controller.

Also I found extracted Samsung NVME drivers forced installed it to 980 pro controller and it made no difference.

Last edited:
Good enough though. If they are installed and compatible it will use them. To be honest, I've seen better results with the Windows NVME drivers anyhow. Always helps to ask though because not everybody has had the same results and I expect largely it's due to the specific onboard storage controllers on different boards.

Other than that, I'm at a loss. I can't fathom any reason why the 970 EVO would work normally on that M.2 slot but the other drives don't. The only reason I could come up with, and it's a stretch, would be if something were already using enough Gen4 lanes that it doesn't have enough available for full lane width for those drives while the other drive is a gen3 drive. I don't know man, I'm at a loss on this one. Maybe somebody else like @USAFRet might have better insights than I do.

Solution

haseeb98ahm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018

Other than that, I'm at a loss. I can't fathom any reason why the 970 EVO would work normally on that M.2 slot but the other drives don't. The only reason I could come up with, and it's a stretch, would be if something were already using enough Gen4 lanes that it doesn't have enough available for full lane width for those drives while the other drive is a gen3 drive. I don't know man, I'm at a loss on this one. Maybe somebody else like @USAFRet might have better insights than I do.

Thanks for your time. Currently I have my GPU connected via chipset lanes and nothing else is connected to the expansion slots or I/O. Only explanation I could come up with that CPU pins for 4x 4.0 M.2 lanes wasn't making a proper connection. But I already re-seated the CPU twice.

I'm monitoring the SSD real time speeds through task manager and I've noticed latency is really high compared to when it's in the chipset m2 slot and most of the times read speed is had capped to 2.2GB/s. Some times it even drops down to Sata speeds (550 MB/s max) but a quick restarts fixes that.

Which is weird, because based on the specs for that board, the chipset M.2 slot is only a Gen3 compatible slot, not Gen4 like the CPU connected M.2 slot.

2x M.2 slots (Key M)

M2_1 slot(from AMD® Processor)
- Supports PCIe 4.0 x4 (3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™)
- Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 (2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ 4000 G-Series, Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics)
- Supports 2242/ 2260/ 2280/ 22110 storage devices
M2_2 slot (from AMD® X570 Chipset)
- Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 (2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ 4000 G-Series,Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics) and SATA 6Gb/s supports 2242/ 2260/ 2280 storage devices

You might want to pull the CPU again and VERY CLOSELY check to be sure that there is not even a single pin out of place at all. I'm sure you're right, but I too feel like that is almost the only way this could be unless there is a problem with the board itself. But I could definitely be wrong too.

haseeb98ahm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
Which is weird, because based on the specs for that board, the chipset M.2 slot is only a Gen3 compatible slot, not Gen4 like the CPU connected M.2 slot.

2x M.2 slots (Key M)

M2_1 slot(from AMD® Processor)
- Supports PCIe 4.0 x4 (3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™)
- Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 (2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ 4000 G-Series, Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics)
- Supports 2242/ 2260/ 2280/ 22110 storage devices
M2_2 slot (from AMD® X570 Chipset)
- Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 (2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ 4000 G-Series,Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics) and SATA 6Gb/s supports 2242/ 2260/ 2280 storage devices

You might want to pull the CPU again and VERY CLOSELY check to be sure that there is not even a single pin out of place at all. I'm sure you're right, but I too feel like that is almost the only way this could be unless there is a problem with the board itself. But I could definitely be wrong too.

yh I noticed that too but x570 chipset doesn't have option for PCIe 3.0 lane configuration. Only b550 and lower motherboards do. So, MSI specs are probably wrong.

Possibly, but looking at some X570 boards from other manufacturers, I see Gen 3 support only depending on the slot and what CPU is used. That goes for all of them. Of course, the Gen4 slot is backwards compatible so it may just be that they are still Gen4 buses that simply default to the only option which is Gen3 speed for devices that lack support for the Gen4 bus. Wouldn't be the first time MSI spec sheet was talking out it's bunghole.

I have two 980 pro SSDs 500gb and 1tb. Both of them are extremely slow when connected to top M.2 slot (which is connected via CPU 4x PCIe 4.0 lanes).
8ef5b9027a4b60fff1cdbaff6056bd62.png

Both work as expected with very good results when connected to chipset m.2 slot or through cheap amazon PCIe adapter card.
5d7fccf50bc00e40b8f87d6f5deb0f39.png

And here's 970 Evo plus connected to top M.2 slot (which is connected via CPU 4x PCIe 4.0 lanes).
741074d85fc0a3c3390ac8a8904b6191.png

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5800x
motherboard: MSI x570 gaming plus.
both hardware info and Samsung magician report the SSDs connected through 4x PCIe 4.0

I've updates to SSDs to latest firmware.
bios to latest firmware.
disconnected all SATA devices
disabled onboard LAN and audio devices.
reseat the CPU twice.
So the slot does work if you connect a gen 3 ssd but if you connect a gen 4 ssd it slows down.

Connect the gen 4 ssd and run a pass of crystaldiskinfo.
Post a screen shot.

That's, what he did, in the OP. But, seems like only one drive was tested in the M.2 slot in question. Would be good to see Crystal disk info for BOTH 980 Pro drives when installed in the CPU driven M.2 slot and then both of them in the chipset driven slot.

haseeb98ahm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
That's, what he did, in the OP. But, seems like only one drive was tested in the M.2 slot in question. Would be good to see Crystal disk info for BOTH 980 Pro drives when installed in the CPU driven M.2 slot and then both of them in the chipset driven slot.

Should had added this to my original post. Iv'e tested 4 SSDs (980 pro 500gb/1TB, 970 evo and P34A80 1 TB) in both m.2 slots and PCIe adaptor card (PCIE to m.2). The PCIe 3.0 SSDs works fine in both m.2 slots and PCIe adaptor card. PCIe 4.0 SSDs work fine in the bottom (chipset) m.2 slot and PCIe adaptor card. but both 980 pros slow down when plugged into top CPU m.2 slot.

Also my bottom 16x PCIe slot is connected to the chipset lanes and top is connected to CPU lanes. when the 980 Pros are plugged into PCIe adaptor card they work fine in either of the PCIE 16x slots.

leslie1985

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
I had this exact same problem. gen4 nvme with write speeds around 500mbs max

I fixed it by going into device manager, under storage controllers and uninstalled the two nvme devices. I had to restart my computer for it to complete the uninstall but when it booted back up i was back to getting full nvme gen4 speeds.

this was on a 11700k with a z590 motherboard with the drive installed in the direct cpu pcie gen4 slot.