Question Samsung 990 Pro SSD In New Gigabyte X870E Aorus Pro Board

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
Im getting the new X870E board this week and want to know the best slot to put my 990 Pro SSD in. In the future I plan to get a RTX 5000 series GPU at some point, and I dont want to slow it down putting the SSD in the wrong slot. Reviews have mentioned the burification issue with the new 870 boards and PCIE 5.0 slots. I think they mentioned if you put a SSD in one of the 3 PCIE5.0 M.2 slots, it will slow down the GPU card. Since the Samsung 990 Pro isnt really a true PCIE 5.0 card, but more 4.0, should I then stick the SSD in the 4.0 slot? I just want to make sure I dont handicap the GPU when I finally put one in.

Hopefully I'll have no issues getting the new board in and running. I'll probably post here if I do. My old 670 board wouldnt update the bios and it got damaged in shipping it to Gigabyte, which is why I need to replace it.

Lutfij

Titan
Since the Samsung 990 Pro isnt really a true PCIE 5.0 card, but more 4.0, should I then stick the SSD in the 4.0 slot?
Samsung never stated it to be a PCIe 5.0 SSD. You should populate the SSD in a slot that runs at a max speed of PCIe 4.0x4, leaving you the option to drop in a faster drive down the road on the faster, PCIE5.0, slot.

Looking at the board's specs;
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X870E-AORUS-PRO/sp#sp
I'd drop the SSD in the slot labelled M2D_SB.

Would be a good idea to mention the specs to your system in your thread's body since sig space specs can and will change, rendering this thread and it's suggestions moot to the end user in the same boat as you're in now.