News Samsung 990 Pro SSD Is Getting a 4TB Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2023
"The heatsink versions are cheaper than the bare drive models and have identical performance. "
"The heatsink variants are typically $20 more expensive."

Errm, which is the case?
The second sentence contradicts the first one.

Last edited:
Reactions: einheriar
May 31, 2023
wish it launched with the 1&2tb models would have gotten 4tb for free from when data corruption bug caused my workplace to switch away

Aug 24, 2023
with gen 5 becoming more available cant help wondering why bother !!

Limited motherboard support.
Price.
Random IOPS performance.

"Bleeding Edge" is generally not where you want to be, unless you are obsessed with getting the best benchmark results and have unlimited funds and time.
Maybe a better target is "Great performance for my workload at reasonable cost".

dbrees

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2012
with gen 5 becoming more available cant help wondering why bother !!
Because there is no widely available way to leverage gen 5 yet. Especially with how hot the new drives get, I'll stick with 4 until 5 doesn't throttle without a massive heatsink.

Hell most people can't even tell the difference between 3 and 4 or for that matter 4 and sata.

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
Samsung 990pro TBW is 600TB per 1 TB ... while others like seagate firecuda 530 , has TBW of 1200TB per 1 TB , Corsair MP600 Gigabyte Aourus , Patriot Viper Vp4100 , PNY XLR8 ALL offer 1800TBW per 1 TB .

for huge capacity SSD Samsung 990pro is my last choice , for huge drives means alot of writing large files and deleting them and TBW is very important .

Reactions: dimar

USAFRet

Titan
Samsung 990pro TBW is 600TB per 1 TB ... while others like seagate firecuda 530 , has TBW of 1200TB per 1 TB , Corsair MP600 Gigabyte Aourus , Patriot Viper Vp4100 , PNY XLR8 ALL offer 1800TBW per 1 TB .

for huge capacity SSD Samsung 990pro is my last choice , for huge drives means alot of writing large files and deleting them and TBW is very important .
And in normal consumer use, those TBW numbers are irrelevant.

They will age out of the warranty long before getting to any of those TBW numbers.

What was your last drive to die from exceeding its rated TBW?
Or the last one that even got to that number?

Reactions: domih and PEnns
Aug 24, 2023

The last estimate I had was that my boot drive SSD would last 45 years before it ran out of TBW, and it is quite heavily used.

For my D-Drive:
1200 TBW limit
Currently at 6.6 TBW after 2.8 years
So that's 0.5% used up.
It will hit the limit in the year 2532.

"In the year 2525, if your SSD is still alive..."

For most normal users, it's simply not an issue.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023
Too late! Chinese SSD m.2 nvme DRAMless high capacity are out! Fanxiang S880 4TB is about 220$, and Lexar NM790 4TB is about 200$. Both 5 years warranty and 2800TBW! (Maxiotech controller and 272 layer NAND ).

Last edited:
Reactions: PEnns

USAFRet

Titan
The last estimate I had was that my boot drive SSD would last 45 years before it ran out of TBW, and it is quite heavily used.
Indeed.
My current C drive, 1TB 980 Pro.
Running basically 24/7 since Jan 2022.

At the current use rate, it will hit the 600TBW level about the time my eldest grandchild becomes a senior citizen.

I'm not too worried...;)

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
And in normal consumer use, those TBW numbers are irrelevant.

They will age out of the warranty long before getting to any of those TBW numbers.

What was your last drive to die from exceeding its rated TBW?
Or the last one that even got to that number?

I never had an SSD die on me ... but at the same time , I never used 4TB SSD drive , I rely on HDD for Media huge files , so I cant tell ... given 8K and 4K movies will fill up the 4TB SSD fast and media file transfers between SSDs will force you to delete huge files , , I think you could reach low TBW on drives like Samsung . I never understood why Samsung never cared about TBW like other vendors.

USAFRet

Titan
I think you could reach low TBW on drives like Samsung .
Meanwhile, the rest of us that have been using SSDs for years (well over a decade personally) have never had a SSD reach its warranty TBW number.

Have you, in any of the SSDs you've used? Dead or not?

The 6 SSDs in my current system combined, the youngest at 20 months of 24/7 ops, add up to 53TBW. Not even 10% of the 600TBW for the Samsung 980 Pro.

Aug 24, 2023
Meanwhile, the rest of us that have been using SSDs for years (well over a decade personally) have never had a SSD reach its warranty TBW number.

The 6 SSDs in my current system combined, the youngest at 20 months of 24/7 ops, add up to 53TBW. Not even 10% of the 600TBW for the Samsung 980 Pro.

He doesn't get it.

There should be better ways of teaching maths so that people leave school with at least an appreciation of the basics.

USAFRet

Titan
He doesn't get it.

There should be better ways of teaching maths so that people leave school with at least an appreciation of the basics.
Analogy:

A car part.
Brand A has a warranty of 2,000,000 miles and 10 years.
Brand B has a warranty of 3,000,000 miles and 10 years.

"Well, obviously, Brand B is better and I would never consider Brand A."

Meanwhile, no car you've ever owned has gone past 150,000 miles. And all the cars you've ever owned total up to 500,000 miles.

In the context of current consumer use, the TBW numbers are basically irrelevant, and may as well be said to be "Unlimited, for 5 years"

Reactions: dvinell

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Staying away from Samsung products for multiple years now. Too many issues and headaches such rusting washing machines, TVs with bad caps, removal of headphone jack and microSD from flagship phones. Go with Seagate 520 for high TBW, or 530 for good TBW and fast speed, WD SN850X is great as well. Seagate and WD warranty service is the best. Also High TBW is important if you have 32GB or more RAM, because by default Windows creates a RAM size hibernation file when the computer is put to sleep or shutdown.

Last edited:
Reactions: newtechldtech

dbrees

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2012
I got the 1tb for a boot drive 2tb for games and getting the 4tb to replace sata ssd for plex. It will be nice to finally be rid of "off-board" storage. My motherboard has a 5.0 slot but I'll probably never need to replace my 4.0 nvme.

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022

you are using NAS for large files .. I get it that for OS ssd you will not hit the TBW . what I am saying is that 4TB usage for large files could hit TBW faster than OS SSD. in anyways I prefer to get the SSD with higher TBW ... more over , when buying/selling a second hand SSD TBW is a major factor as well. it keeps its value more. and I dont care about warranty .. most drives live double the warranty time , they will not die after 5 years , so still TBW is important.

USAFRet

Titan
you are using NAS for large files .. I get it that for OS ssd you will not hit the TBW . what I am saying is that 4TB usage for large files could hit TBW faster than OS SSD. in anyways I prefer to get the SSD with higher TBW ... more over , when buying/selling a second hand SSD TBW is a major factor as well. it keeps its value more. and I dont care about warranty .. most drives live double the warranty time , they will not die after 5 years , so still TBW is important.
And I am simply asking...have any of the SSDs you've purchased and used come close to their TBW number?

"second hand SSD" is not even on my radar.

Reactions: AgentBirdnest
Status
Not open for further replies.