Samsung Announces World's First Octa 8-Core Mobile Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
O_O
.... O.M.G 8 core phone processor!? Can any phone OS fully utilize 4 yet? Props to Samsung though, 8 > 4 so whatever its in, it will sell. And this after reading AMDs SOC... looks like now you have some ways to go...again.

tarzan2001

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
[citation][nom]fancarolina[/nom]Octa-core implies 8 cores of equal power. What we have here is a 4+4 Core processor.[/citation]

I agree completely. The companies, however, don't care because to them it's all about marketing. That's why T-Mobile can get away with advertising their data has having "4G" speeds. The masses usually don't notice that they actually say "4G-like" speeds. Same thing with this processor. It's all in the fine print. But still...I'm not due for a new phone until summertime, so I'm eagerly awaiting to see what the Galaxy S4 will finally be like when it's released! :D

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
My wife will be getting this phone. I will have to wait as I am enjoying the current champ.... the note 2.
Please add that flexible wrap around display in there. That would be sick.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]fancarolina[/nom]Octa-core implies 8 cores of equal power. What we have here is a 4+4 Core processor.[/citation]
That is how it has been used but no where does it say they have to be of equal power just that up till now it was always the easiest way to do it. Multi-core just means more than one core in a single physical unit it does not mean they have to be identical cores just more than one.

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]That is how it has been used but no where does it say they have to be of equal power just that up till now it was always the easiest way to do it. Multi-core just means more than one core in a single physical unit it does not mean they have to be identical cores just more than one.[/citation]

I agree with you. I'm surprised we haven't seen Intel go this direction. They could list all of their processors using Logical Cores (Physical + Hyper Thread). All of the current generation chips would magically improve from being Dual-Core, Quad-Core, and Hexa-Core. To Quad-Core, Octa-Core, and Dodeca-Core.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
What we have here is technically a 10 core system, its ((4+1)+(4+1)) because it uses a companion core along side the traditional quad core design, same concept as in the Tegra3.

If you ask me this is just too much processor for current gen cell tech, but it should open up tremendous potential if you were able to do display mirroring or used a pico projector along with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

p.s. will it play crysis... REALLY... welcome to 2013, that meme should have died five years ago. let it go man, just let it go.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Your phone or tablet's OS won't make much use of it today, but think about what this allows us to do tomorrow. I am loving the rapid improvement taking place in the ARM CPU arena. We used to have this sort of thing in the x86 arena back when AMD was capable of competing with Intel. Today x86 is just a slow trickle of incremental improvements. ARM designs are jumping ahead by leaps and bounds thanks to all the competition between Samsung, Nvidia, Qualcomm, and others.

Today your phone is just a phone. What if it were possible to get rid of your laptop or desktop by connecting your phone to a full sized monitor or HDTV and bluetooth keyboard + mouse? There's no reason that small device can't one day be the one you compose reports on, create digital art with, or program using. Today's solutions are great for content consumers, but as a content creator I'm tired of being chained at my desk in an office environment. I'm all for having my phone or tablet become a capable creative device with more flexibility than we have today.

Competition is good. Tech upgrades are good. More powerful mobile devices are good. Build it and people will find something to do with it.

G

Can I connect this phone to my laptop and offload some rendering workload onto it! I wish that all computing devices were HSA enabled! Imagine a wired house of the "Future" where all of your household appliances' ARM, Or other, CPUs could run as one big asymmetric multiprocessor system that utilizes any spare CPU time on any device that has any extra CPU cycles available, like the washing machine, or the electric tooth brush (LOL), to get those frame rates with 16x AA up to at least 120 FPS!

grndzro

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
This is going to be hillarious when Blackberry's 2 core processor running BB10 smokes Samsung's 8 core in everything.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
It's not Octa-core because only 1 of the pair can be ON at a time.

Marketing BS at it's worst. At least NVidia is being honest and calls their 4+1 chips a 4 core.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]fancarolina[/nom]I agree with you. I'm surprised we haven't seen Intel go this direction. They could list all of their processors using Logical Cores (Physical + Hyper Thread). All of the current generation chips would magically improve from being Dual-Core, Quad-Core, and Hexa-Core. To Quad-Core, Octa-Core, and Dodeca-Core.[/citation]

Intel can't because software licenses (and compatibility) are sometimes based on the number of physical cores in the system. Hyper-threading creates a virtual core. Pretending it was physical could create significant confusion and unnecessary complications.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]70 percent lower power but 100% more cores you do the math chum[/citation]
My bad I thought one of the processors was low power for power savings.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]Cazalan[/nom]It's not Octa-core because only 1 of the pair can be ON at a time. Marketing BS at it's worst. At least NVidia is being honest and calls their 4+1 chips a 4 core.[/citation]

I may have misread it, but where does it say that only one can be on at a time. It would most likely use a single processor and keep the second in a low power/off state until it is needed.

For phones I cannot see the point, for Win8 tablets with attachable keyboards, this could make tablets a replacement for laptops.

At current they are just 'tablets with attachable keyboards', tomorrow they will be 'laptops with detachable screens'.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]My bad I thought one if the processors was low power for power savings.[/citation]

It was, the poster you are quoting is wrong. Depending on the workload and applications running, the A15 cores will run applications needing maximum performance, while the A7 cores will run the easier applications. Both sets of cores can be running at the same time which makes it an octa-core or either quadcore can run on its own. If only the A7's are running the user will see up to 70% power savings vs the previous exynos quadcore.

Status
Not open for further replies.