Samsung Beats Apple in Customer Loyalty in Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Two days ago, one of my classmates criticized me for not upgrading from my 4 year old Samsung phone to the iPhone 5.

The argument then turned into an 11 years old Nokia flip-phone vs his iPhone.

Him: "Well I have an protective case that also recharges my phone!"

Me: "My Nokia phone doesn't need a protective case. And I have a laptop at home for internet access."

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
EDIT: For clarification, I used to use my dad's old Nokia phone until I "upgraded" to my mom's old phone.

The Nokia phone takes about a second to access the contact info, and last for two weeks without recharge.

The "better" Samsung phone takes a minute, and only last for around three days with the same usage.

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
I really don't understand the appeal for these Samsung phones. I understand wanting to avoid Apple, but what's so great about Samsung? In my estimation, they make some pretty generic looking phones made of cheap looking light plastic. IMO, HTC makes better phones...and, of course, Nokia. I like Samsung's TVs and some of their other products, but I just don't think they make quality hardware when it comes to phones.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Let's just say that when I owned my Galaxy S, I targeted their support team with a large E-Mail saying how they SHOULD have created the Galaxy S. Aaaaand I was banned from their support. :3

Still buy their devices though..

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Two days ago, one of my classmates criticized me for not upgrading from my 4 year old Samsung phone to the iPhone 5.The argument then turned into an 11 years old Nokia flip-phone vs his iPhone.Him: "Well I have an protective case that also recharges my phone!"Me: "My Nokia phone doesn't need a protective case. And I have a laptop at home for internet access."[/citation]
You should upgrade to a Note 2 or S3 just to make your classmate mad.

I upgraded to a Note 2 from a Nokia Mural recently and I love it. (it was time for me to upgrade and my mural's battery was starting to go T_T ) But If you just need a phone, then keep your old flip phone. It's cheaper to replace and they are built like a tank when compared to smartphones.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]IAmVortigaunt[/nom]I really don't understand the appeal for these Samsung phones. I understand wanting to avoid Apple, but what's so great about Samsung? In my estimation, they make some pretty generic looking phones made of cheap looking light plastic. IMO, HTC makes better phones...and, of course, Nokia. I like Samsung's TVs and some of their other products, but I just don't think they make quality hardware when it comes to phones.[/citation]
I agree on the phone design for the Samsung phone. I personally don't like it either. But, I think the main reasons there are so many customers behind Samsung pretty much comes down to three things.
1) Removable battery and SD card expansion
2) Choice (people who want a 200 dollar phone can't buy an Apple brand. Yet Samsung has multiple choices all the way from low-end to high-end phones).
3) Up-to-date internal hardware. When they launch a new phone from their high-end line of phones (Galaxy S and Galaxy Note) it's pretty much the cream of the crop in terms of specs. Like the S3 is pretty much a year old and yet they still use it to compare other Android phones that recently launched.

There was an article on Wozniak calling Apple arrogant because instead of giving consumers the freedom of choice to pick out their phones, they just bring out one phone to rule them all. It worked 3 years ago when consumers didn't understand Smartphones as much as today. Now, consumers KNOW what functions to look for in a phone and want variety. Which is probably why Apple is coming out with the mini and a rumored iPhablet.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]EDIT: For clarification, I used to use my dad's old Nokia phone until I "upgraded" to my mom's old phone.The Nokia phone takes about a second to access the contact info, and last for two weeks without recharge.The "better" Samsung phone takes a minute, and only last for around three days with the same usage.[/citation]
Yeah, but can you watch HD movie stream from the house server while doing big business in the toilet?? My S2 can.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
@I amvortigaunt

Have you looked at the screen quality of the note 2? PPI doesn't mean sweet f all. The note 2 has 20 times the contrast ratio than the iphone 5. Video looks fantastic. HTC builds a good phone but I prefer the super AMOLED. This tech will most likely be the next big thing in Televisions.

After having to show a co-worker how to work his email and texting on an iphone 5, I have a bigger appreciation for the Note 2. Working with the iphone 5 was nothing short of painful.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]keither5150[/nom]@I amvortigauntHave you looked at the screen quality of the note 2? PPI doesn't mean sweet f all. The note 2 has 20 times the contrast ratio than the iphone 5. Video looks fantastic. HTC builds a good phone but I prefer the super AMOLED. This tech will most likely be the next big thing in Televisions.After having to show a co-worker how to work his email and texting on an iphone 5, I have a bigger appreciation for the Note 2. Working with the iphone 5 was nothing short of painful.[/citation]
The reason Note 2's super AMOLED looks so good is Samsung finally ditched pentile displays for the Note 2. I really hope Samsung continues this to their S4 and Note 3 line.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]Yeah, but can you watch HD movie stream from the house server while doing big business in the toilet?? My S2 can.[/citation]

But I usually get done with that business in less than five minutes. It's called giving up McDonalds and eating healthy.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Tried Samsung phones... all plastic... went with the iP5 and have been happy ever since.[/citation]

Those things scratch like crazy if you don't use a protective case.

halogen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Let's just say that when I owned my Galaxy S, I targeted their support team with a large E-Mail saying how they SHOULD have created the Galaxy S. Aaaaand I was banned from their support. :3Still buy their devices though..[/citation]

phones re designed to comunicate not to be fancy and cute, you think about a phone like a shoe..people buy a life not technology

halogen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]EDIT: For clarification, I used to use my dad's old Nokia phone until I "upgraded" to my mom's old phone.The Nokia phone takes about a second to access the contact info, and last for two weeks without recharge.The "better" Samsung phone takes a minute, and only last for around three days with the same usage.[/citation]

because a dude that has samsung doesnt need to buy the latest to feel he has a life

halogen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
[citation][nom]halogen[/nom]phones re designed to comunicate not to be fancy and cute, you think about a phone like a shoe..people buy a life not technology[/citation]

but tim cook will scratch your iphone for you, you scratch em wrong!!

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]halogen[/nom]because a dude that has samsung doesnt need to buy the latest to feel he has a life[/citation]

I expect phones to be responsive, not be sluggish and battery sucking.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Wait, you're using a phone.....as a phone!!

Madness!!!

geronimo8

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Tried Samsung phones... all plastic... went with the iP5 and have been happy ever since.[/citation]

And you cover it with a PLASTIC bumper & casing from Apple for another $80.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
I have had 2 Sams ungs so far, both victim of circumstance yet i would not buy a third deliberetly. I am more inclined to buy a Sony or a HTC maybe even a ZTE or Lenovo (They have some big ass battery's as of late in there phones)

Status
Not open for further replies.