Samsung Building 64-Bit Custom CPU Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
I don't like Samsung as corporation for its sly marketing tactics and doubtful ethics, but still buys its product for reliability and technological edge. I don't like Verizon for the same reason, but still carry Verizon. Why not covert to others? Well, I can't find good alternatives to meet all the criteria.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
640K of RAM is all you'll ever need. LOL.

Yeah it's good to see progress of these processors to keep up with the times. 4gigs+ of RAM is going to be nice.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Samsung has their own FAB, builds their own memory, builds their own CPU. So Samsung is the next Intel? At least in the mobile space?

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Poor memory management is the ONLY reason someone needs over 4gb of ram. Sure you get a speed increase because the scheduler can grab twice as much data form memory at once, but come on...these devices aren't really using that much power. Minus GPU stuff, this stuff is all pentium1 type processing. There is no way the threads are so complicated and inter weaved that 64 bit and multicore are needed AT ALL.

Hunt4Epic

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
How about some faster storage first? Lower timings ram? These would actually effect most people's day to day use more then adding 64 bit. Not to say 64 bit won't be usefully in the future.

Hunt4Epic

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
How about some faster storage first? Lower timings ram? These would actually effect most people's day to day use more then adding 64 bit. Not to say 64 bit won't be usefully in the future.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Lack of sources and documentation for their SoCs is why I will never buy an exynos device again.

Too bad TI stepped out of the SoC business.
At least we have qualcomm. excellent documentation and full support from cyanogenmod and kernel developers.

icrf

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
The biggest benefit in using a 64-bit chip isn't a higher memory capacity ceiling. The biggest benefit is in the accompanying new architecture that implementing the 64-bit instruction set gets you (doubled register count, etc.)

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Only Windows phones really need 64-bit SoC's. Apple just needs an excuse to appeal to its sheep. I take that back, when consumers catch up and start using their phones for everyday Desktop-like PC computing, all phones will need to be as beefy as last year's Desktop PCs. But, who nowadays installs Adobe CS onto their iPhones, let alone docks their phones into a keyboard/mouse and large screen? Who tries to play Crysis on their Windows phones? No one, yet. Make it happen.

JohnPMyers

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
This article almost implies Apple makes it's own A7 CPUs. Just to be clear, that's false. Samsung has made every single iPhone processor for Apple, regardless of model. Since the A5, they have all been made in Austin, Texas at Samsung's fab there.

urbanman2004

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
A phone with 64-bit processing power is cool but that's more than what the average person needs. If that were the case, I wouldn't need my PC.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
But they don't design them.

No. When Samsung starts designing their own processors then they could be like Intel.

But Apple designs them. That's the hardest part by a long shot and puts Apple way ahead of Samsung. Anyone can build a processor if they're given the "plans". The real brains are who makes the plans.

The A7 is by far the most advanced mobile processor in the world. And it gets this title because of Apple, not Samsung.

frogr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Apple licensed the cpu design for the A7 cpu from ARM. Apple at most tweaks it and adds some of the system support functions. That is a long way from designing a new instruction set and all the chip design to implement it - something that Samsung is not doing either.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
OC the most interesting part here is not the 64bit part as such, but rather than fact we shall finally see JESD229 Wide I/O mobile DRAM (at 266Mhz) with increased memory bandwidth (up to 17GBps) for a single channel interface.

its odd that we are not seeing PR about the new Arm servers using the even faster related Hybrid Memory Cube as yet though

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
The entry barrier into that market is far too high to make it economical for Samsung. Intel an AMD have far more company owned IPs, specialized software, and facilities that enable them to operate in the manner they do. Samsung would be entering with much less, having 1/8th the fabs that Intel does, and very very limited experience with ground-up processor design, implementation and testing. Almost like saying Windex should enter the high-performance impact-resistant glass market to give Gorilla Glass some competition. XD

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010

I 100% agree. Right now I use Android but I'd really REALLY love a phone that's x86/64. I know Intel is working on it but it might be another year or two before that can happen. Mini-HDMI out with a Bluetooth KB/mouse on a device that can run almost all Windows programs/games (Linux as well) that you can dock and use as a desktop on a device that fits in your pocket? That would be the best thing ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.