Samsung Calls on Judge to Halt Apple Retrial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only two things have been settled by all these trials, retrials and appeals. That our patent system is broken and our civil court system. Though most realized that long ago.

Only the lawyers are making any money now. There's no way either side will ever see more money than that expended by legal fees.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Apple don't need the money, what's at stake is peanuts to them. This trial is more about Apple protecting their intellectual rights and setting an example. I've been writing mobile phone software for over 15 years. If Apple hadn't released the iPhone I have no doubt Smartphones wouldn't be anywhere near as advanced as they are today. Would we still be using a stylus, single point touch, resistive touch displays, WAP, manual Wi-Fi connections, slow glitchy none animated interfaces? Think about it, almost everyone used a pen for input, so had that continued we may never have bothered with multi-touch!

f-14

Distinguished
you cry about patent wars, wait until you get a divorce, things you were given by your parents as a child your ex has a right to because you didn't have a prenup.

can't have it both ways people. other than the cost of litigation to enforce a patent i think the patent law works just fine considering all the corporate misdeeds being done on the people who actually invent this stuff.

The law cannot save those who deny it but neither can the law serve any who do not use it. The history of injustice and inequality is a history of disuse of the law. Law has not failed--and is not failing. We as a nation have failed ourselves by not trusting the law and by not using the law to gain sooner the ends of justice which law alone serves.
~ Lyndon B. Johnson ~

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

I agree with you that smartphones wouldn't be what they are today if it wasn't for Apple, but in terms of "advanced" is a whole different issue. Technology advancement isn't a single line, it's a multiple process. Also, Apple didn't invent multi touch so I have no idea why you would assume we wouldn't have multi touch today. They patented the pinch to zoom gesture.

Nothing wrong with stylus technology. No it wouldn't be single touch because mutli touch existed decades before the iphone, If technology went into advancing resistive touch displays, we can have an entirely different game changing screen (capacitive touch screens aren't necessarily better then resistive in every aspect). Let's be honest here, WAP would have evolved into mobile even without Apple from WAP/OMA forums. Same with WiFi and animations.

What I do agree on is that Apple made technology much more simpler to use and without them, the adoption of mobile computing would have taken another 5 years.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Troll but nonetheless, styluses are still used often for fine control, WiFi was automated before the iPhone, and interfaces were improving all the time. Nokia was already working on a device similar to the iPhone at the same time. To make it clear Apple was the first with widespread success of such a device, and was mostly on the Apple bling factor that they spread so much. And before you complain about Apple's intellectual property just remember that they stole the mouse, icons, and GUI from Xerox.

Writing software for mobile phones for 15 years? I guess you either wrote the OS or snake.

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
"I agree with you that smartphones wouldn't be what they are today if it wasn't for Apple, but in terms of "advanced" is a whole different issue. Technology advancement isn't a single line, it's a multiple process. Also, Apple didn't invent multi touch so I have no idea why you would assume we wouldn't have multi touch today. They patented the pinch to zoom gesture."

I agree smartphone wouldnt be what they are today if it wasn't for LG Prada. Or was it just that technology had advanced enough to use this form factor

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
^ LG Prada? That was a POS phone. The original iPhone was a far better device. Performance was much better, it had WiFi (no, the Prada didn't), it ran a real OS while the Prada was Flash based, had a real browser, had a much better screen, and the biggest of all it had multitouch.

Even worse is when people claim Apple copied the Prada because it came out a few months earlier. Never mind that Apple showed prototypes 2 years earlier during the Samsung.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
^ LG Prada? That was a POS phone. The original iPhone was a far better device. Performance was much better, it had WiFi (no, the Prada didn't), it ran a real OS while the Prada was Flash based, had a real browser, had a much better screen, and the biggest of all it had multitouch.

Even worse is when people claim Apple copied the Prada because it came out a few months earlier. Never mind that Apple showed prototypes 2 years earlier during the Samsung.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
LOL. Down votes by cowards without the balls to post.

Can't argue with facts. The Prada was WAY BEHIND the original iPhone. All it had was a fancy brand name.

Status
Not open for further replies.