Samsung Claims Apple Didn't Invent Pinch-to-Zoom

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hector2

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
BAWS: Intel is not going to make it for them.
Intel actually wanted to take Apple down.
That's why Microsoft is making those WP8 tablets.
I remember the news from some months ago that Microsoft and Intel are working together to take Apple down.

Intel will not "take Apple down". Intel makes & sells the components and want Apple as a customer, not as a competitor. Their CEO has publicly stated that Intel will not be offering any of their fab capacity to ARM but are planning to make their products so compelling that Apple will start using them in their tablets & iPhones. Apple, of course, already uses Intel cpus in their laptops

[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Apple has the patent for pinch to zoom, therefore, they invented it. You guys need to just accept it and deal with it.Samsung has thoroughly embarrassed itself in this trial. The lawyers have looked amateur, Samsung destroyed evidence, there are beyond damning internal slides, etc.It's going to be great to see all the tears shed on this site once SameSUCK loses big.[/citation]
- patenting is not inventing, i.e. you can not go the patent office and patent walking, then sue everyone else who walks. Same thing, you can't patent the wheel and then claim you invented it. Your logic fails.
- name-calling, again? Post fail.
- tears?. LOL. You seem to be the only one taking this whole thing to a personal level. The rest of us just comment on this and move on. We have lives outside of this quarrel, you know. You should try get a life, as well. Post fail, again.
Three fails in one post. ROFLMAO. You really need to stop embarrassing yourself.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]....It's going to be great to see all the tears shed on this site once SameSUCK loses big.....[/citation]

You do realize that your precious iPhone is made from parts provided by "SameSUCK" right...

malice81

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Ugh, the patent wars are so tiresome. The thing that I'm most sick of seeing though - the fanboyism. I personally have a PC tower that I built myself, I won't stroke my own dick and tell you the specs, but it's kept up to date parts wise to run all the newest games, and has 16tb of media streamed out to a home network.

I also have a MacBook and an Android phone, and guess what, they all play really nice together. Do Apple products cost more? yup. Can you get a more powerful PC device for a bunch cheaper? totally. But there is such a thing as liking the design of a thing more than the simple engine underneath. I mean, look at the way people buy cars. Lots of money can be spent on a car that is good-looking that does the same thing as one 100x cheaper.

All the different operating systems have their pros and cons, same thing goes for the hardware. People's need to religiously identify themselves with the brand they buy is tiresome however. All of these things are computers; tools to get tasks done. If they get them done in a way you like (fast, easy to use, pleasing to the eye, reliable) then use em and enjoy. Different products do these things better than others. NONE of them do everything best.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
[citation][nom]Pinhedd[/nom]I think that patent would have expired several hundred thousand years ago[/citation]

Just re-patent it before everyone else does, apparently that's how the patent law works. Who ever patents it first wins! While you're patent breathing process. Just in case some smart ass invented wheels to replace human walking. You can live without walking, but you can't avoid breathing.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Since we're in the realm of patenting stupid things.
Over the weekend, I read Samsung is counter suing Apple for 1) multitasking with music in the background, 2) emailing out pictures taken from your phone and some other stupid ones. Samsung also holds these "stupid" patents, just sue Apple with them and sue them hard.

Motorola finally sued Apple too over the weekend, they're claiming 7 patents including Siri(voice command), on location notifications and etc. If succeed we can see all Apple devices ban from getting into U.S.A.
God bless America!

HTC is suing Apple for networking patents which can potentially having all iDevices stop connecting to networks/internet.

Oh man, I would love to see Apple loss to any of these cases. Enjoy your iBricks while you can.
But I'm sure Apple can/will find ways to calm iSheeps.

Tim Crook(in future): "For your protection, we have disable the 'evil' internet for you, now we can use our i[Device] FREELY!".

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
You guys are too late. Apple called rebuttal witnesses who clearly explained the differences between DiamondTouch and their system.

Further, the main witness for Samsung who was talking about multitouch was paid $460,000 to testify ($1,000 per hour x 460 hours). Oh, there won't be any bias there at all. Plus the best comment: when asked if he'd seen the source code to be able to claim they were similar he said "No. But I'd know it when I see it." Lame.

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
I am wholeheartedly pulling for Samsung in this crusade they are on. The fact that Apple filed patents for all of these things is ridiculous. It is one thing to patent actual intellectual property, and completely another thing to patentroll like Apple does. The issue is getting very old, but what do you expect when dealing with court cases between worldwide multi-billion dollar companies.

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]jojesa[/nom]Around 0:42 you could see it. In this case they are using fingers from both hands, since it is a large screen and unless you have 1 foot long fingers you won't be able to cover the whole screen.[/citation]

It is a "multi-touch" interface, what you call it doesn't matter. The functionality is all there. What's the difference between having two fingers on separate hands increasing/decreasing the size of a window and two fingers on the same hand increasing/decreasing the size of an image? Answer: little to none.

Samsung has proven that a multi-touch screen with multi-touch resizing, regardless of technology or implementation, has already existed before the iPhone. This means that pinch-to-zoom isn't an invention so much as it is an improvement. It is like Microsoft suing Mozilla for how it displays information on the internet when WorldWideWeb/Nexus was the first browser to do so.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]they are apple sheeple they hardly count amount the human race anymore... they exist in coffee shops and thrift stores tying to hbe hip and trendy so if they have to buy a new phoen really we are just making sure the twill coat market doesn't get oversaturated. samsung could always sell replacement parts on the aftermarket as a screen that happens to be compatable with the iphone but to be fair most the isheep only know its broke get5 another one and it isn't apples fault thier terrible phoen broke it was tier own transgressions of bumping the phone to hard and breaking both panes of glass[/citation]

gooby pls

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
Apple (i.e. Steve Jobs) considers itself almost like an absolute-good-will angel, while sees others ever-cheating evil monsters. Basically, Apple and other electronics/computer/IT companies are the same lot. No one is exclusively good or evil, however different their degrees are. If I have to pick up the lowest in terms of ethics when it comes to intellectual property, it's Apple the Hypocrite. I couldn't finish Steve Jobs biography because of his hypocrisy, and Apple still seems to be stuck with his ghost.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Is it too much to ask that the really stupid patents be thrown out.
I mean, if you make a blatant ripoff, then you should be sued for it.
But improving pre-existing technology isn't stealing, it's advancing.
Steve Jobs said it himself "Great artists steal and we are shameless about that" (which he was also paraphrasing Picasso, I believe).

I mean, a flat plane, bounce back animation, multi-tasking while music is playing, etc?

Why don't you sink the money from the lawyers into R&D and develop some really outstanding products Apple, Samsung, Motorola, etc? That way you'd be years ahead of your competition, rather than having to try to bring them down with what are essentially petty lawsuits.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Didn't Tom Cruise use gestures to zoom in Minority Report (2002)?[/citation]

Exactly! It surprises me how a vast majority of people give Apple all the credit when the concept is old as hell and the invention was already made long before the iPhones.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]rebel1280[/nom]You do realize that your precious iPhone is made from parts provided by "SameSUCK" right...[/citation]
Yep! And weird that the only problem I have with my iPhone is with the screen, LOL! Nothing major, just the level of quality I expect from a shady, thieving company.

The new Sharp displays sound promising, and the in cell technology that Apple invented looks impressive. Apple pushing innovation in display tech is great for everyone!

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]bawss[/nom]Intel is not going to make it for them.Intel actually wanted to take Apple down.That's why Microsoft is making those WP8 tablets.I remember the news from some months ago that Microsoft and Intel are working together to take Apple down.[/citation]

LMAO... What distorted reality are you writing from?

MS invested in Apple, they own Apple stock, they write software which sells on OS X...

MS is more invested in Android failing than Apple's iOS..

Office for Android? Nope
Office for OSX... Yup
Office for iOS...

BTW, iNtel gave apple the special chip that powered the first Macbook Air - No one else had it.

You wanna hate Apple so much that ya blind yourself to the reality intel chips are in every apple device... Meanwhile Windows 8 just got ported to ARM Chips...

Google = Apple = Samsung = Company that makes products for your $$$

What's funnier and more interesting is that you "Roid" fan boys talk about freedom of choice and how independence is so important to you but if someone exercises their choice and buys something you don't agree with you call them isheep...

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
You wanna hate Apple so much that ya blind yourself to the reality intel chips are in every apple device... [/citation]

Should be every Apple computer, not device, my badz :D

iversen

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Yep! And weird that the only problem I have with my iPhone is with the screen, LOL! Nothing major, just the level of quality I expect from a shady, thieving company.The new Sharp displays sound promising, and the in cell technology that Apple invented looks impressive. Apple pushing innovation in display tech is great for everyone![/citation]
Then you should find it somewhat interesting that it was Apple who designed the retina displays. Samsung favors their in-house AMOLED for just about any high end phone thy deliver displays for but the iphone.
Also Samsung provides Apple with the application processor, flash memory and DRAM -which you seem perfectly happy with.

eijiyuki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
All the cell phone manufacturers will probably gang up together and try to take Apple down if Apple pushes too hard... and it is happening.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Yep! And weird that the only problem I have with my iPhone is with the screen, LOL! Nothing major, just the level of quality I expect from a shady, thieving company.The new Sharp displays sound promising, and the in cell technology that Apple invented looks impressive. Apple pushing innovation in display tech is great for everyone![/citation]
I wonder if you even have an iPhone and you're just a troll trying to spew your hatred here!

Samsung never supplied displays to apple for the iPhone. The display on the iPhones currently on sale are manufactured by LG.

Also Apple doesn't design their LCDs. The retina display on both the 4 and 4S are built and designed by LG under an exclusive contract. Also Apple didn't invent LCD IN-Cell Touch, if I remember correctly it was Toshiba, in fact even Samsung has already presented In-Cell LCDs.

drakennz

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
[citation][nom]headscratcher[/nom]Pinch to zoom? I was doing that on my girlfriends nipples in the 1980s[/citation]

I LOL'd so hard haha

Status
Not open for further replies.