News Samsung Develops 512GB DDR5 Module with HKMG DDR5 Chips

Geef

Distinguished
This is probably great for servers but not really that useful if those chips fit into normal computers. There are only a few games out there that use more than 16GB of ram right now so 512GB might be a tinytiny bit too much. :ROFLMAO:

valreesio

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
Obviously you're right, but just a few years ago people were saying 8GB RAM was enough and 16GB was just not needed. As VR becomes better, RAM will be even more important.

Technology is increasing at an ever increasing rate. Who knows what we'll need in another decade?

This is probably great for servers but not really that useful if those chips fit into normal computers. There are only a few games out there that use more than 16GB of ram right now so 512GB might be a tinytiny bit too much. :ROFLMAO:
This will be amazing for servers. When it comes to virtualization, you are almost always more RAM limited that CPU limited. Over provisioning on CPU is SOP when it comes to virtualization. However, doing that for RAM can cause MAJOR performance impacts.

Obviously you're right, but just a few years ago people were saying 8GB RAM was enough and 16GB was just not needed. As VR becomes better, RAM will be even more important.

Technology is increasing at an ever increasing rate. Who knows what we'll need in another decade?
I went with 16GB RAM in my current desktop when I built it in 2013. At that time 4GB was common, 8GB was high end, and 16GB was extreme. Push forward a few years and I maxed out my desktop at 32GB RAM. Now in 2021 we see 4GB as unusable, 8GB minimum, 16GB main stream, and 32GB extreme. I can tell you that if you have your computer for long enough Windows gets bloated and uses more and more RAM. Right now I have 7 Firefox tabs open, Slack, Outlook, and a VPN running and my desktop is using 9GB RAM with another 3GB used for cache. I've found that once you get to 32GB RAM Windows goes and expands everything into RAM which means it doesn't have to go to disk for many system files. This increases responsiveness of the system. My next desktop will have 64GB RAM due to needed that extra RAM for being a VMware Home Lab.

Never say never.
My first PC had a 100 MHz P5 and 8 MB of ram. Doesn't seem all that long ago.
First DOS computer I used was a 486 DX33 with 8MB RAM. My first computer had a 200MHz P5 with 16MB RAM running Win95. That Win95 computer needed more RAM as it tended to go to disk quite a bit.

Reactions: sstanic

danlw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I've always had pipe dreams of running games from a RAMdrive. But its so prohibitively expensive to have enough RAM to copy an entire game AND have enough left over for actual RAM use...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Never say never.
At the time I got my first PC, Pentium 133 and 16MB of RAM, and a whopping 2.5GB hard drive, my friends thought it was somewhat extravagant, and nicknamed the machine "Ah-nuld."

And that was only . . uh . . NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS years ago. 😆

stancilmor

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2013
Never say never.

I must be ancient. First computer I used only had 2k RAM. Then I upgraded to a computer with 64k RAM and a processor speed of 1 MHz. I can remember friends paying $1000 dollars for 32 Megs of RAM. My current machine has 32 Gigs of RAM. I regularly use 12 to 20 Gigs. Next computer will either have 32 again or 64 if the price is low enough.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
I must be ancient. First computer I used only had 2k RAM. Then I upgraded to a computer with 64k RAM and a processor speed of 1 MHz. I can remember friends paying $1000 dollars for 32 Megs of RAM. My current machine has 32 Gigs of RAM. I regularly use 12 to 20 Gigs. Next computer will either have 32 again or 64 if the price is low enough.

Timex Sinclair 1000? I learned to program on this.

Reactions: stancilmor

alfanet

Honorable
Sep 4, 2015
The first computer that I used was my dad's computer.
A Printaform with an 8086 at 5 MHz and 10 MHz in turbo mode

Ram I think was 512 Kb, floppy drives 5 1/4", and a CGA monitor.

I remember that we usually had to maintain in the A: drive the OS and in the B: drive the diskette with the application to use.

Old H-Ware Tech

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Nice to see y'all posting about older systems. We've really come a long way haven't we. At every step along the way someone inevitably said we'll never need more than whatever the memory limit was then. Still there's no end in sight, thankfully. I remember when 32K of memory was normal and 64K was considered excessive. That was pre IBM PC though. As for dating myself, I still have an Apple II+ in storage and it wasn't my first computer.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

Geef

Distinguished
First DOS computer I used was a 486 DX33 with 8MB RAM. My first computer had a 200MHz P5 with 16MB RAM running Win95. That Win95 computer needed more RAM as it tended to go to disk quite a bit.

Your computer was a DX33? Amazing! My first was 486 SX33 and only had 4MB RAM. Your first system was a beast!

The weird thing about that time was I played with all the programs like crazy because there were only a certain number of them to use. That really helped at my first real job because I was the only guy in the building who knew Dos 6.2, Win 3.1, Win95 and 98 settings by heart.

OriginFree

Distinguished
May 23, 2015

Geezer high-5.

My 1st was a old DECmate I VT278 circa 1981 or so.
2 - 8" floppy drives
"32k of 12 bit words" of memory ... not sure what that translates to in today's standards
24x80 row monitor (hmmm that may qualify as negative definition)
Harris 6120 microprocessor @10MHz or so
And a choice of 2 OS (we didn't have the 3rd) for running 1 of 4 programs (that we had access to)
My 1st but not my last DEC machine ... still got an old Alpha workstation in a closet somewhere.

And when the 1st 386DX were coming out I paid $500 per 4MB module ... and yes I got 8. My rent on the 4 bedroom townhouse was only $750 per month in comparison.

This old laptop I'm on has 32GB of ram, the new one behind me has 64GB and I'm sure the one I get in 2-3 years will have at least 128GB.
Ram is like booze ... you can never have too much and you always want a bit more when it's gone.

Last edited:

stancilmor

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2013
At the time I got my first PC, Pentium 133 and 16MB of RAM, and a whopping 2.5GB hard drive, my friends thought it was somewhat extravagant, and nicknamed the machine "Ah-nuld."

And that was only . . uh . . NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS years ago. 😆

Whoa, a 2.5 GB harddrive ... I remember trying to save up $20,000 for a 5 Meg harddrive when I was 12. By the time I had saved up $2000, the price had dropped to $5000, but by then I wanted a car.

Your computer was a DX33? Amazing! My first was 486 SX33 and only had 4MB RAM. Your first system was a beast!

The weird thing about that time was I played with all the programs like crazy because there were only a certain number of them to use. That really helped at my first real job because I was the only guy in the building who knew Dos 6.2, Win 3.1, Win95 and 98 settings by heart.
That computer also had a 120MB HDD, a 750MB HDD was added later, and a 2MB ISA VGA card. Eventually we had an external 1X CD-ROM drive for that computer as well. It lasted for quite a long time. It ran everything I had for games quite well except Duke 3D. That had a min CPU of a 486 DX66. There were a lot of framerate drops but it was the mid 90s so you didn't care.

Reactions: stancilmor
That computer also had a 120MB HDD, a 750MB HDD was added later, and a 2MB ISA VGA card. Eventually we had an external 1X CD-ROM drive for that computer as well. It lasted for quite a long time. It ran everything I had for games quite well except Duke 3D. That had a min CPU of a 486 DX66. There were a lot of framerate drops but it was the mid 90s so you didn't care.

I remember the earliest days where 15fps was considered the absolute bare minimum playable frame rate! laughs 30fps was considered great and 60 was unbelievable. Most were just happy to get 30fps+ in Quake with GLide

I remember the earliest days where 15fps was considered the absolute bare minimum playable frame rate! laughs 30fps was considered great and 60 was unbelievable. Most were just happy to get 30fps+ in Quake with GLide
On that old system it was probably 24-30fps when not a lot was going on the screen. As soon as more enemies showed up it would be like 15-20fps and explosions dropped it to 5-10fps. Again since it didn't stay at 5-10fps you didn't care.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Whoa, a 2.5 GB harddrive ... I remember trying to save up $20,000 for a 5 Meg harddrive when I was 12. By the time I had saved up $2000, the price had dropped to $5000, but by then I wanted a car.

I couldn't even dream of it back in the day. But I held on to my old Commodore 128 far longer than anyone in their right mind should have. I used it until I got that Pentium 133 PC (my first Intel-based PC ever). Yep, I jumped right from a MOS 8502 to a Pentium 133.... and within the first week, much to my brother's disgust, a friend of his and I were trying to get a Commodore 64 emulator running on it.

jessealanwallace

Commendable
Feb 7, 2019
Ok, since we are "Old Man"ing it here, ill chime in.
41 at the time of this post.
My first machine was my parents. They had a pair of 8088's.
Played a ton of shareware games on it, so much fun...

Quick story.
I remember in 1988 my moms 8088 died mid-work on her dissertation.
I, at 8 or 9 yo, pulled the video card out of the working one and put it in her machine and she was able to finish working. I then went with my dad to a store and described to them what we needed to repair the other machine.
About 2 months later the next door neighbor, who had heard from my parents about this, paid me a crisp $100 bill to install a 4meg upgrade to his machine he claimed cost a couple thousand.
So that summer i went door to door repairing and upgrading PC's.
Kept doing that every summer and on weeknights, even during the school year.
Been in IT ever since. No seriously. If you consider i worked on computers non-stop from that time, I as a 41 year old have 33 years in the business..... lol

My first PC that was just mine was a 486 SX33.
I can remember use Memmanager to trick it into thinking it had enough memory to load Xwing vs Tie Fighter, then Tie Fighter advanced, etc...
Had it not been for that process, i would not be a CIO today....