[SOLVED] Samsung Evo 860 Issue - SSD not detected by BIOS

amonaghan

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
Hi,

I have a strange issue. I have an Advent DT2410 which currently has a 2Tb SATA mechanical drive. I am attempting to swap this out for a 500Gb SSD (I'll add the mech drive in as a slave eventually). However, when I connect the SSD (Samsung Evo 860) and attempt to install windows 10 via USB, the installer complained it couldn't find any device to install to.

I checked in BIOS, and sure enough, SATA 1 port showed as device "not present". However, I reboot the machine and it shows "SATA1 Samsung Evo 860" ..... I reboot a second time, and it's back to "not present". I assume loose cable, etc. but it's completely reproducible that on every 2nd boot, the device is listed! Every other time, it's "not present"!

I tested the SSD in another (much older) desktop, and it shows every time. I then reset the BIOS to factory settings on the Advent machine, and try every SATA port - same issue. I even used the power supply from the other machine as a test, and the issue is still there. Connecting the mechanical disk back to the machine and the machine works as before - it just doesn't 'like' the SSD!

Any guidance or thoughts would be appreciated

Many thanks,
Andrew

Solution
Could it be that the SSD needs extra boot time to recover from a previous unsafe shutdown? Check attribute 0xEB in the SMART report (POR recovery count).

amonaghan

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
Hey Titan, thanks for the reply. I'll have a look in the settings for HDD delay. I did try to find updated firmware yesterday but it seems the manufacturer no longer exists.

Thanks,
Andrew

amonaghan

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
Sadly this doesn't seem to have worked! Couldn't find any option for delay. The bios is on version 3.0, and there is an update to version 3.6. the m-flash utility however complains that the file is not correct and would leave the machine unbootable! Never ending!

The motherboard itself is an MSI H61M-P31/W8