Question Samsung Evo 870 SSD installation ?

rwh531

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
trying to install as a secondary drive
Noticed after using disk management tool in windows 11 that it did not install as a dynamic drive (not sure if thats important)
Benchmarking website also says its performance is subpar to what it should be (less than the 860 I am currently using as primary drive) when specs say it should outperform the 860.

Tried purging the partitions and starting over however it would not let me delete the recovery partition (being an old school computer nerd I am used to /fdisk / format which always deleted and recreated them. Just trying to maximize the drives performance

rwh531

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
lol actually it was userbenchmarks, figured the ability to compare performance against the same branded/model parts would be more beneficial than a random benchmark that compares chipsets alone. In any case the 860 i've been using for over a year has the computer fully booted in 34 seconds after being plucked from old computer never got wiped just a dirty win11 install to preserve old files according Asc while the 870 took dam near 2 minutes even after swapping cables/sata ports.

The system itself is a rog strix z690-a running the i5-12600 with 32gb of 3200mhz kingston fury ram and a Zotac twin edge oc 3060.
No overclocking has been done other than the xmp being enabled for the ram

Eventually, 1 of the 2 drives will be the primary in old computer being rebuilt for network storage/backup and networked bluray/dvd since case manufactures decided 3 giant fans that look like glowing bungholes and blow directly into the exhaust at the expense of drives/ports/controllers were preferable to dividing the side window into 2 smaller pieces so they could put the only case fan that ever aimed at anything important back where it belongs.