News Samsung Fab Workers Leak Confidential Data While Using ChatGPT

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

USAFRet

Titan
Governments don't control this information. It's the difference between Microsoft and Google having surveillance over user information and them sharing it with the government. My point is that I don't think it is any better if these corporations don't share this information with governments. So, I'd want something like GDPR to be just the starting point of user rights, not the end point.

Corporations like Google purport to own or have rights over anything you place with them. That's not ideal. Given their corporate interests, I wouldn't view AI by Microsoft or Alphabet as somehow distinct from their ongoing efforts to monetise their users. Their users create the value, which these corporations get for free and sell back to them. I'm not sure that what society gets back from this deal is as much as what these companies get in their offshore bank accounts, where they don't pay tax on it.
Not sure where you're going with this.

In the context of this issue, the Samsung employee, of their own volition, uploaded internal corporate data, to an entity controlled by some other company.
The Samsung employee made a major mistake.

Reactions: jp7189

Timmy!

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Not sure where you're going with this.

In the context of this issue, the Samsung employee, of their own volition, uploaded internal corporate data, to an entity controlled by some other company.
The Samsung employee made a major mistake.

Sure. It was a mistake by the employee. But you don't think that using US tech like the ones I mentioned also has issues? You don't think that Microsoft and Alphabet et. al. don't keep user information at arm's length on their other products and services?

Would you view using such AI when it runs on your own system, without contacting the cloud as being safe? The article mentions Samsung as wanting to make its own AI for this purpose. Does that suggest that even if Microsoft and Alphabet had AI which you could download onto your device and purportedly didn't contact the cloud, it would still be a risk for a user's confidential information?

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
How bad are their software developers that ChatGPT can be used to fix the code?

I guess the way they teach computer science these days and the shortage of software developers, forces the companies to hire less than optimal programmers. Most of the newly educated software developers I've worked with don't know the basics - they don't know much about data structures, algorithms, hardware architectures, operating systems, compilers, networking and so on, not to mention all the mature tools and documentation available to them (RFC's, macros, basic unix commands, emacs, vi, etc), and hence they write very poor code ... slowly.

Reactions: JamesJones44
Jul 7, 2022
Jesus. Samsung engineers letting ChatGPT do the code might explains all the issues with Samsung SSD as of late.
Is it just me? Or is Chat GPT just humanity’s first step toward becoming the overweight oblivious amoebas we see in Wall-E where everything of importance is taken care of by AI leaving us to lose all meaning of being alive?

Sorry, too dark? Haha

Bonzadog

Commendable
Jul 3, 2021
How bad are their software developers that ChatGPT can be used to fix the code? I've played around with ChatGPT code generation, while decent, it will easily miss things that will cause problems. I

ChatGPT is still learning and may take a bit of time to train, but this will be a very powerful tool.
ChatGPT sends data to America - it is the US that collects massi ve amounts of data which is potentially dangerous. So companies and countries need to develop their own AI.

I know that two of my American friends who develop software+test data+documenation etc use ChatGPT and very probably many others in the USA and EU.
So not really a Samsung problem...but it does give a good reason to start bashing Samsung.

D

Deleted member 14196

Edward Snowden. Government laws around the world to have personal data available to them from the users of tech products and services. Did hear that Germany was thinking about introducing manual typewriters in government work to bypass US surveillance. I don't see how AI services gaining access to confidential corporate information is any different to what I said in my last post.
Yes, and this reminds me exactly of why they went manual in the series Battlestar Galactica. Like it or not that’s your only choice when the chips are down because someone’s always going to be able to snoop on your electronics.

in the case of the science fiction series, it was because the AI was so advanced. They could crack any net work and control your vehicles.

I have no doubt that at some point it will get that good in real life and this poses many dangers. And those who say otherwise well, what can I say about them that wouldn’t get me banned

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
ChatGPT is still learning and may take a bit of time to train, but this will be a very powerful tool.
ChatGPT sends data to America - it is the US that collects massi ve amounts of data which is potentially dangerous. So companies and countries need to develop their own AI.

I know that two of my American friends who develop software+test data+documenation etc use ChatGPT and very probably many others in the USA and EU.
So not really a Samsung problem...but it does give a good reason to start bashing Samsung.

Sure and I'm best friends with Elon Musk too.

At any rate, I wasn't "bashing" Samsung, I was making a statement about a codebase that must be in a really sad state. I'm sorry if your feelings got hurt over an entity who has something like this going on within its walls, but really, I think you might want to be less sensitive and stop inserting your own assumptions of attack into a comment simply because a comment points out a flaw of something you like.

Jul 7, 2022
Wall-E???
Yes Wall-E, where the last humans in the universe have become amoebas because the AI on the sanctuary ship takes care of everything so people have nothing to do but satiate their pleasure centers because there is no longer purpose to being alive besides rampant consumption. When there is no struggle, there is no purpose. It’s quite the philosophical thought experiment even in its kid movie facade. You should watch it again.

mountiedm

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Yeah cause Bob around the corner is gonna read this in the Sunday funnies and go "Great Scott!" and spend 15 years in the woods perfecting a rival semiconductor and then hire Tim, Jimmy, and Susan and her kinda quirky sister that is strangely good at building 15 billion dollar giga fabs in the desert that upends Samsung.

Rakanyshu

Distinguished
Yeah cause Bob around the corner is gonna read this in the Sunday funnies and go "Great Scott!" and spend 15 years in the woods perfecting a rival semiconductor and then hire Tim, Jimmy, and Susan and her kinda quirky sister that is strangely good at building 15 billion dollar giga fabs in the desert that upends Samsung.
hahaha my thoghts but i could 't have said it better.