Question Samsung G9 for gaming or a CRG9 and another 27" for gaming?

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I spent nearly this entire weekend trying to decide what kind of monitor configuration to go with for my new RTX 3080. I'm torn because yes, I do game but I also work with large spreadsheets which require multiple browsers to be open at the same time. I'm wanting the best of both worlds. This weekend I considered:

Qty 3 4k 3840 x 2160
Qty 3 2560 x 1440
Qty 1 49" 5120 x 1440

I read that it doesn't make any sense to own a 3080 and use it to drive just three 2560x1440. I mean, if I wanted that I could have just kept my 2080 ti right? So here is what I came up with as I was thinking about it this morning. What about having something like a Samsung CRG9 for all of my day to day work tasks and then to the left of that monstrosity, also have a gaming monitor, maybe 2560x1440 with the high refresh rate, low response, high brightness, etc. From all I've read, there is really nothing larger than 27" that does a great job with gaming. I'm older so I'm not keen to use 4k at 27". That just seems too small. Is there anything larger than 27" that can handle regular gaming (not competitive) that would look really good? Lastly, if I did have both of those monitors mentioned plugged in at the same time, would I take a performance hit if they are both powered at the same time. Would having the 49" running take away resources from the smaller 27"? Sometimes I do like to game on one monitor and have another monitor(s) for browsing. Particularly Eve Online where I might need a spreadsheet and a browser. Will the 3080 be able to handle all of it?

No no no no..... a 3080 will not be able to drive 3 4k monitors to ANY sort of playable framerates. .And a 2080ti will NOT be able to drive 3 1440p monitors to ANY sort of playable framerates.

If you have the games playing on one screen and the other is displaying a spreadsheet or another app,, that will be fine.

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Right, so the 2080 is not a consideration since it's the card I'm changing from. The RTX 3080 is the new card. I did have three 4k monitors listed there although only one would be gaming. I would not be using all 3 at once to game. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. The real question though is whether the 3080 could drive 27" at 2560x1440 or even a 32" at 4k for gaming while simultaneously running the CRG9 for just browsing.

The ultimate goal here is to use the CRG9 during my normal workday for spreadsheets, browsing, etc. Then when gaming, I want to use one 27"/32" for gaming while using the 49" for just browsing, etc. Can one 3080 run both?