Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Features an Even Bigger Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Sometimes, I wonder what's Tom's system for getting news. I mean other major tech sites are flooding with new devices from IFA, including this Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Tom's only has this. I guess, the articles and benchmarks are the stars here, not the news.

owens2

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013

Are you kidding me? You haven't compared them side by side in real life have you?. The S4 is small fries to the Note 2 and 3.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

I obviously haven't compared an S4 to a Note III, but I have compared it to a Note II, and what you are saying is a rather large exaggeration. The S4 has a 5.00" screen and the Note II has a 5.55" screen. Since they both have a 16:9 aspect ratio the S4's screen dimensions are 4.36"x2.45" and the Note II's dimensions are 4.84"x2.72". That means the Note II's screen is only 0.48" taller and 0.27" wider. The Note II seems so much bigger because the bezel is thicker.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
There is no comparison between this or the 5S, not even in the same league at all. Note 3 flushes that icrap down the drain. Why do sites want to compare the 2, idiotic.

owens2

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013

I know it's not that much bigger than a S4 in terms of inches (yes I know I sound a bit exaggerated), but when you start using a Note 2 for a couple months and look back at a S4 you'll noticed the difference is more substantial. I don't think they should make the Note 3 any bigger, otherwise you'll just be walking around with an awkward phone that resembles something to the old Dell Streak or a iPad mini.

think i just found my smart phone. loved the note 2, this looks amazing; would love to know more about battery life. the note 2 would go 10 hours with continuous use... love to know if it's the same or better.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I have nothing against the note(s). But for me--not saying for everyone else--4.7" screen is a really sweet spot. Big enough for quasi-practical use, yet still small enough to use with one hand. These phablets are getting out of hand (lol, I guess there's a pun in that). I'd sooner rather have a 4.5-4.7" phone, and a separate tablet (IMHO, 8" is the sweet spot for tablets). AIO to carry around all the time...not for me.

But they sure have been successful.

zblade

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Yes, the screen is big but if you look at the dimensions, it is pretty much the same size as the Note 2. So you are not getting a bigger phone, just the same size phone with a bigger screen. Faster CPU, faster GPU, more memory and a larger screen with the same form factor, the Note 3 looks like a winner to me.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Contrary to the author's belief, it's Dell that introduced the phablet form factor with its 5" Streak device. Admittedly it wasn't very popular at the time...

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
A good article with a bad title. No one is expecting Note 3 not to feature a bigger screen so that title really is underwhelming.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

A bigger screen is always better for a device that encourage you to write on it. Of course, there is no reason for those who really really prefer a small screen to be forced to buy a phone with big screen. But for those who prefer the bigger screen, you know what they want it for: more space to write, bigger area to watch video, bigger area to view browser content. Do not be an Apple and think that there is only one correct way for the customers to use the device - the Apple way, all the approaches mean you are not doing it right. Haha.

Mikel A

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
It's amazing with top specs. It also makes one hand control basically impossible, its 5.7in screen is the largest size ever from samsung smart phones.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
ROM and kernel flashaholics are advised NOT to get the Exynos variant... You have been warned !
Samsung have been d*cks not release sources and documentation of their platform.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I liek it, but i am not sure it is that much better than the note II, basically it is the same processor as the note II but 2.3 Ghz instead of 1.8 Ghz ... they are both based on A9, would have loved to see A15's in it but that is only for 3g apparently with the 8 core. I am sure it was for battery life or somethign but i am still sad that processing power wise it is not a huyge leap...

that said the screen and keepign it the same rough dimentions as the note II but a little thinner and lighter is cool. and 1080p on that size means it is going to be really crisp, the new s pen interface looks like an improvment as well. ultimatly I was planning on getting a note 3 to replace my galaxy nexus but i wanted the rumored 5.99" screen honstly if the mega has a 4g antenna i would have jumpe don that already

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Well, as I stated in my very first words, I was expressing my own personal preference on phone sizes and what I felt was comfortable to use in my hand. I flat out said that not everyone else may feel the same way. And followed up by recognizing that the Note line has sold very well (so obviously people want them).

It's an opinion of personal preference--not saying that others shouldn't have larger devices.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

Why 5.7 inches means it's a tablet? Because you say it?

Status
Not open for further replies.