Samsung Galaxy S4 Said to Contain Eight Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Sounds horrible :( I'm an S3 owner... I love everything about Samsung, they are my favourite brand alongside BMW.

Why must they murder the phone's day to day tasks with slower performance than the phone is capable of , the main use of the phone is day-to-day tasks, and the gaming and performance are the extra, but now the day to day tasks get to be slower than the S3, for better app performance ? Sigh

This will be a useless overhead for many folks. Just rank up the price and copy nVidia's idea from Tegra 3.

Stupid on Samsung's part. Instead of slamming "higher performing cores", slap the A15s and introduce better P and C states in them. I'm surprised they think this is a viable solution!

Cheers!

helltag

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Eh it was only a matter of time until 8 cores were put into a mobile device, but for those who lack the foresight and vision one obvious task the extra processing power can be used for is AI such as Natural Language Processing (Google voice / siri).

Or what, did you think 4 cores would be enough for everybody?

lengcaifai

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
cpu in a phone...... oh excellent!!! smart phone!!!

dual-core...... oh good!!! better multitasking and threaded performance!!!

quad-core...... hmm... desktop still can run most games well in dual-core... maybe for more future proofing?

AAAND HERES THE EIGHT CORE!!! ......

kristi_metal

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
They are crazy, i own a SII and that is a pretty powerfull phone, even if it's old now.
I think Sammy is just flexing their muscles to show what they can do.

fudoka711

Distinguished
[citation][nom]kristi_metal[/nom]They are crazy, i own a SII and that is a pretty powerfull phone, even if it's old now. I think Sammy is just flexing their muscles to show what they can do.[/citation]

If this is true (and Zak did contradict himself), then Samsung is indeed flexing its muscles and/or knows something about soon to be released apps that will take advantage of such massive horsepower. We just gotta hope battery life will not drop at all (but improve).

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]lengcaifai[/nom]cpu in a phone...... oh excellent!!! smart phone!!!dual-core...... oh good!!! better multitasking and threaded performance!!!quad-core...... hmm... desktop still can run most games well in dual-core... maybe for more future proofing?AAAND HERES THE EIGHT CORE!!! ......[/citation]

PS3 on our phone! :p

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]TROLOLOL two consecutive articles with contradictory information...Zak should go back to apple news reporting[/citation]

You do realize Zak is citing 2 different sources. How dare he report from two sources that have 2 different view points on what the S4's CPU will be!

It's almost as bad as a financial channel / website having one article about someone who is Bullish on stock XYZ then later another analyst comes out that is Bearish and they have a second article. The nerves!

8 cores means you can record video at full 1080p resolution, and maintain full encryption at the same time.

In addition, Batman can now tap into phones for sonar purposes, and the user will never notice a drop in performance.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
we all have to realize, that while any device ( your computer ) or your mobile phone benefit from more cores because more cores operating at lower frequencies lower power consumption. It is not "Why do I need 8 cores........." Anti virus programs eat up so much bandwidth running in the background that if you had 1 core you would have to shut the virus protection off to be able to surf the web without the connection being flaky.

I would not mind a phone with 16 cores, 8gb ram, and 3 Micro SD slots......... and a battery with 4 times the life mine has now.

It will happen even if you want to complain about it now. Its just a matter of when. The Micro SD XCHC spec with Xfat file system support will take memory cards from 64gb to 2TB on mobile devices...... I am waiting for Sandisk to release a 2TB memory card for my Galaxy S3..... I give it 24 months.

We should see 128 and 256gb micro memory cards hit the market in less than 5 months from now.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

Article 1: "A report is suggesting that Samsung's unannounced Galaxy S4 will sport a quad-core A15 chip, alongside a 13-megapixel camera."

Article 2: "It's said that Samsung will couple four Cortex-A15 cores with four Cortex-A7s; the chips which are more powerful will predominately be used for highly demanding tasks."

One article says it will have an A15. The other article says it'll have an A15 and 4 A7s. That's not really contradictory; besides, these are all rumors to begin with.

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
[citation][nom]Cats_Paw[/nom]Somehow i feel the main problem of phones and tablets is the ram not the amount of cores.[/citation]
Not really... I mean the new standard seems to be 2GBs of RAM in phones these days. For a phone, that's pretty crazy. We still use Win XP desktops at my work that run on 1GB of RAM and they still work just fine.

I think we should stop adding so many more cores or more RAM and focus on better architectures and more efficient energy consumption. You don't need 16 cores, you just need 2 or 4 that are really good at what they do. Kind of like how some desktop dual-cores of today can do more while consuming less electricity than the quad cores of last decade.

G

Watch closely now as Asian techonolgies pull away form Aemrican Logic, and deatroy the U.S. finger nail grip on the whole market.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]You do realize Zak is citing 2 different sources. How dare he report from two sources that have 2 different view points on what the S4's CPU will be! It's almost as bad as a financial channel / website having one article about someone who is Bullish on stock XYZ then later another analyst comes out that is Bearish and they have a second article. The nerves![/citation]
You are comparing Zak to a whole news channel.. that is flawed.. the equivalent of "a financial channel" is Tomshardware's website as a whole.. not just one "reporter"!
What Zak could have and should have done was combine his two related stories into one Post, rather than having us witness his Article Diarrhea! (two postings on rumors about S4's upcoming CPU specs just 1 hour apart?? Despite his already crappy street cred around here, this is a new low)

Status
Not open for further replies.