Samsung, HTC Attempt iPhone 5 Ban Using LTE Patents

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I doubt anyone is surprised about this. Im all for the fall of apple, but I really do hate patent wars.

just how many frikin patents are involved with LTE tech?!

hannibal

Distinguished
We want competition! This petty patent war means that customers can not buy those phones they like most. It does not matter who manufactures them... All in all all this mean that new phones are more expensive. Even due legal costs or because there is no competition, because other player is out of the game due banning. We can not buy Samsung phones and now not even iPhones... Is there any law out there that says that this is illegal?

*sigh*

G

I'm doubtful that HTC and Samsung will go ahead with a lawsuit against iPhone's LTE functionality. For one, US carriers won't like it - any ban on the new phone will adversely affect their bottom line. The US carriers have very little to gain from any injunction - in fact, Verizon, AT&T and Sprint all came out against Apple's injunction against Samsung last year filing amicus briefs.

Richeemxx

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
This is what I hate about these patent fights and the way things are setup.

First I'm not big on the system as a whole. But I don't think companies should be able to use "standards" and FRAND patents as a means of extortion and that is what I get out of this.

Second I hate that any company, Apple included, can piggy back off of those said patents and amass a huge market share a a fortune off said patents before anything can be done. A prime example is them using Motorola, Samsung, HTC ect patents to build their device, bring it to market and then say hey we aren't paying royalties.

Now saying that, at least in the case of Motorola it sounded like they tried to reach terms under a FRAND agreement. But they didn't like those terms. In the case here it sounds like they are blatantly ripping off the other companies by not even trying to license the tech under FRAND terms. That to me should be grounds in and of itself for an injunction.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]I doubt anyone is surprised about this. Im all for the fall of apple, but I really do hate patent wars. just how many frikin patents are involved with LTE tech?![/citation]

Apple has 434 and Samsung has 819. HTC probably has a few hundred, and the other players may have a few hundred as well. Let's round it off and say there are probably close to 2,000 patents related to LTE.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I for one hope they succeed. Apple has been out for blood for some time now; they could use a swift kick in the $%@. One that would hopefully have them think twice before trolling.

HDmac

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
sometimes I wish I could walk into that courtroom and tell everyone to f-off and go home lol. Patent/copyright wars are ridiculous.

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
So apple cant make sales based on their "product" for the isheep so they sue for patents/copyrights. Now that they are getting hit back, just the way it should be.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]techcurious[/nom]This reminds me of that Bully that got Body Slammed last year... love how the bully was dizzy and couldn't stand straight afterwards.. (Hope I can post links) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEqniEvNcnk I hope HTC/Samsung and others have what it takes to give Apple at least one body slam![/citation]

Yep, that is exactly what Apple needs ! :)

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]Apple has 434 and Samsung has 819. HTC probably has a few hundred, and the other players may have a few hundred as well. Let's round it off and say there are probably close to 2,000 patents related to LTE.[/citation]

The other players as you so off-handedly refer to are in fact the main drivers of the LTE technology in the first place. Namely first and foremost Nokia who hold by far the largest percentage of the over 3600 total LTE patents, but Motorola (now controlled by Google), Qualcomm and InterDigital holds large stakes in the pool of essential LTE patents. Samsung and HTC holds mainly non-essential patents but some essential patents for the technology. Apple does not hold any essential patents themselves.

societyofosiris75

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
4G is FRAND but LTE is not.

The titans of LTE are LG, Qualcomm, Motorola, Samsung. Everyone else has 5% or less. Royalties must be paid to use LTE as the network continues to expand having been accepted as the new standard in 4G communication. It is not surprising then that HTC has filed a suit against Apple for infrining on LTE and may likely win a ban against the iPhone 5 nor that Samsung will seek the same since Apple has gone after the Galaxy S3. What goes around comes around.

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
[citation][nom]shm224[/nom]I'm doubtful that HTC and Samsung will go ahead with a lawsuit against iPhone's LTE functionality. For one, US carriers won't like it - any ban on the new phone will adversely affect their bottom line. The US carriers have very little to gain from any injunction - in fact, Verizon, AT&T and Sprint all came out against Apple's injunction against Samsung last year filing amicus briefs.[/citation]

Of course the providers are not going to want any kind of injunction on any phone. They make their money selling phone, but the simple fact is that they have no say in the matter. They are not the ones who hold the patents that are being infringed.

I hate these petty lawsuit wars, but I will be interested to see what Apple gets nailed for infringing. I wonder if it will be something as petty as "rounded corners on a phone."

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
One of the problems Apple faces is the fact that LTE originated in Japan and not in the USA.
Even if they get away with it in the US (5% of the world market) things are going to get ugly in the other 95%.

And as I predicted, the Asian companies will start to forget their rivalry for a moment and begin to gang up on Apple; starting as it seems with Taiwan/Korea or HTC and Samsung.

This is not going to end well for Apple in the long run :)

I dislike patent wars, but hey, you reap what you sow...
Good luck finding objective judges and juries in the US, though.
[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]....spoken like a true iSheep.[/citation]
You seem to take pride in calling yourself that lately. When you call yourself something derogatory too often, don't get upset when the "others" are calling you that. too.

Status
Not open for further replies.