Samsung, HTC Attempt iPhone 5 Ban Using LTE Patents

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freon bale

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]I doubt anyone is surprised about this. Im all for the fall of apple, but I really do hate patent wars. just how many frikin patents are involved with LTE tech?![/citation]

Agree. I'm all for Apple's demise, and these patent squabbles just hurt us, the consumers. On the other hand, it would be glorious to see Apple smashed to bits using the same tools its used against others.

[citation][nom]Richeemxx[/nom]This is what I hate about these patent fights and the way things are setup.First I'm not big on the system as a whole. But I don't think companies should be able to use "standards" and FRAND patents as a means of extortion and that is what I get out of this. Second I hate that any company, Apple included, can piggy back off of those said patents and amass a huge market share a a fortune off said patents before anything can be done. A prime example is them using Motorola, Samsung, HTC ect patents to build their device, bring it to market and then say hey we aren't paying royalties. Now saying that, at least in the case of Motorola it sounded like they tried to reach terms under a FRAND agreement. But they didn't like those terms. In the case here it sounds like they are blatantly ripping off the other companies by not even trying to license the tech under FRAND terms. That to me should be grounds in and of itself for an injunction.[/citation]

I feel like companies should be allowed to buy IP from other companies, but once they do the new owners can no longer sue retroactively. It seems like too many companies are buying patents, and then saying "This device from 2012 infringes on a patent that was originally written in 1940 and we're filing a lawsuit since the prior two owners of this patent did not."

You should only be allowed to file suits for things you created in the first place. I think that would clean up a lot of the crap patents out there as well. Needless to say, the patent issuing system needs a workover as well.

G

Didn't the ITC come out saying Apple didn't infringe on any LTE Patents?

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]dalmvern[/nom]Of course the providers are not going to want any kind of injunction on any phone. They make their money selling phone, but the simple fact is that they have no say in the matter. They are not the ones who hold the patents that are being infringed.I hate these petty lawsuit wars, but I will be interested to see what Apple gets nailed for infringing. I wonder if it will be something as petty as "rounded corners on a phone."[/citation]

Carriers make their money selling service, not phones. That's the whole reason you can get a phone with a contract at such a low price - these companies make so much money off service they can practically give everyone a $700 phone.

Of course, your main point is still correct; carriers want as wide a customer base as possible, and don't like another company or the courts deciding something that limits the kind of customer they can provide for. I'll have to say though, this is a case where the carriers have painted themselves into a bit of a corner; if they didn't encourage phones specialized to their particular service, they wouldn't be hurt any more or less than any other carrier if some phone is declared "illegal".

;)

audioee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
Sounds like it is well past time to set up a cellular / wireless patent pool.

Everyone with a patent covering a tech in cellphones, tablets, or like devices throws it in the pool, a governing body tallies up the totals and relevance to each device type and arbitrates discussions of patent value between all parties. Then anyone that builds a covered device has to pay into the patent pool to license those patents that pertain to said device.

The governing body would also be able invalidate patents that should not have been issued due to prior art (science fiction shows included) or failure to pass any of the standard patent tests especially the non-obvious test. The requirements here would also be a bit more strict to pass.

Third, any invention selected as a standard by one of the world wide standards bodies, IEEE, IEC, JEDEC, etc. would immediately be covered by a FRAND policy, no more RAMBUS's.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]_scientist[/nom]In my opinion, the patent system has gone haywire and is a complete joke lol.[/citation]
this opinion = fact

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Area51reopened[/nom]Go Samsung!!!!!!!!!!![/citation]

Yeah, lets cheer for foreign businesses to stamp out US based consumer electronics....lol. What?!? Samsung has been playing games for a long time and have been a thorn to any company trying to sell devices in its home based region. Samsung is far from innocent by stander but iHaters are gonna believe what they want...blindly.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Yeah, lets cheer for foreign businesses to stamp out US based consumer electronics....lol. What?!? Samsung has been playing games for a long time and have been a thorn to any company trying to sell devices in its home based region. Samsung is far from innocent by stander but iHaters are gonna believe what they want...blindly.[/citation]
iHaters are not known for reason, their hatred to all things Apple shields them from that. It could never matter to them what wrong Samsung could do, just so long as they're permitted to keep hating Apple. I just don't have the time or interest to harbor hatred for Apple or Samsung, they're just companies peddling their wares.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Yeah, lets cheer for foreign businesses to stamp out US based consumer electronics....lol. What?!? Samsung has been playing games for a long time and have been a thorn to any company trying to sell devices in its home based region. Samsung is far from innocent by stander but iHaters are gonna believe what they want...blindly.[/citation]

Samsung is far more of an American company then Apple ever could be.

Who just spent 4 billion on a fab plant in the USA? Oh yea, SAMSUNG!

[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Samsung is far more of an American company then Apple ever could be.Who just spent 4 billion on a fab plant in the USA? Oh yea, SAMSUNG![/citation]
Pretty much says it all, but Apple fans like robochump or Halcyon don't get it. They're too busy calling themselves "iSheep".
When ANY foreign company invests more than a domestic one in US economy, one has to really twist the facts or the logic to call them "bad". Not to mention that is not hard at all to beat Apple's contribution in that respect, since everything they do is outsourced.
But, hey, they got one thing right: their own self-derogatory "iSheep" name.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Pretty much says it all, but Apple fans like robochump or Halcyon don't get it. They're too busy calling themselves "iSheep".When ANY foreign company invests more than a domestic one in US economy, one has to really twist the facts or the logic to call them "bad". Not to mention that is not hard at all to beat Apple's contribution in that respect, since everything they do is outsourced.But, hey, they got one thing right: their own self-derogatory "iSheep" name.[/citation]
House, what exactly is important enough that I need to spend even the slightest time getting? That the kids here hate Apple and believe Samsung is the saint-savior company? Okay, you guys are right, I'm wrong for not really caring enough to dislike either. I call myself an iSheep because I don't dislike Apple, and for many here that, in and of itself, defines the term.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]House, what exactly is important enough that I need to spend even the slightest time getting? That the kids here hate Apple and believe Samsung is the saint-savior company? Okay, you guys are right, I'm wrong for not really caring enough to dislike either. I call myself an iSheep because I don't dislike Apple, and for many here that, in and of itself, defines the term.[/citation]

If Hitler started up a company it will still have a better rep then Apple.

halcyon

Splendid
The only thing I prefer about iOS is that it seems more intuitive than all the different flavors of Android. The level of customization that Android offers is less important that iOS' simplicity. I also prefer the iPhone's build materials to all but the Razr/Maxx's offerings. That's why its great that there's both iOS and android. You can have what works for you and likewise for me. I've heard that folks like Samsung's plastic-backed phones because they hold up to drops better. That seems like a weird criteria to me. I don't drop my phones, ever, not even by accident...just like I don't drop babies or cash.

G

I would like to make a point here.

All the childish scream about "iSheep" and "apple is dumb lol ___ is better" is not only hypocritical, but immature and childish coming from twentysomethings+.

I dont mean to share hard feellings, but you guys are like Nazis. You hate anyone who isn't like you. Not only have I seen you guys thrash Apple users, but you people call out console gamers, prebuilt buyers, the less technologically advantaged, and the list runs on. Come on people. Can we all just stop fighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.