Samsung Increases Price For Apple's Processors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]nah51dog[/nom]haha apple! dont shit where you eat[/citation]

Hehe, they should have at least doubled it!
Payback's a b*tch, ain't it..!
There's no Steve Jobs to rescue that sh*thole company that profits on the stupidity of the masses.
May this rotten apple roast in hell...

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]keither5150[/nom]Apple makes them feel proud and smart about their purchase. Apple reminds of a prostitute. And guess what, the prostitute doesn't love you and you are dumb to go to bed with one. I guess Apple is very much like a prostitute.[/citation]Hey now, don't you drag prostitutes down to Apple's level. Not cool.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]So those who complain about when Apple does things, cheer when other companies do it? Can we please stop the hypocrisy and hold ALL companies, and people, to the same standard.Fact is, Samsung could find itself in some antitrust trouble with this. Since Samsung is the top competitor to Apple in the smartphone market currently, courts could very well rule that Samsung is using their position as suppliers of iPhone CPU's to force Apple to raise their prices thus giving Samsung's phones an advantage.Behavior of this kind by both Apple and Samsung is only bad news for us the consumer.[/citation]

Idiot consumers who pay twice as much for half the product deserve to lose their money.

"A fool and his money are soon parted"... Apple has been making money on a world of fools for years. The apple zealots, with their stockholm syndrome, will flame that statement... but that doesn't make it any less true.

I spend a lot of my employment hours supporting people on their computers (doctors, medical, financial) who like their Apple branded computers, phones, and pads. They are very quick to point out how pretty their equipment is, and that it "just works" and that they "don't get viruses"... ... right before the ask me why they can't do something in particular with their shiny, fruity toy...
I can't help but grin when they do that.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I guess having other people make all your stuff isn't as profitable as Apple imagined. Maybe building some stuff in the USA or at least in an Apple facility someplace in the world does not sound so horrible now.

Additionally, I don't think Samsung would have done this if Jobs were still around. They would have feared his reaction and his ability to produce new products to obsolete the old ones. But with Apple now being ran by the bean counters... the sharks smell blood.

You do realize Samsung runs a US factory for their chips? The sad reality is they are a more American company than a lot of "real" American companies.

what Americans do apple employ. Take a look at the crap they pull.
Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Irish_arrangement

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]Idiot consumers who pay twice as much for half the product deserve to lose their money."A fool and his money are soon parted"... Apple has been making money on a world of fools for years. The apple zealots, with their stockholm syndrome, will flame that statement... but that doesn't make it any less true.I spend a lot of my employment hours supporting people on their computers (doctors, medical, financial) who like their Apple branded computers, phones, and pads. They are very quick to point out how pretty their equipment is, and that it "just works" and that they "don't get viruses"... ... right before the ask me why they can't do something in particular with their shiny, fruity toy...I can't help but grin when they do that.[/citation]
While one can enjoy the irony, from a consumer point of view we should all be concerned what Samsung is doing. Samsung is using it's monopoly power in an effort to hurt what can be argued is their top competitor in the smartphone market. If they don't have the ethics to deal fairly with Apple, regardless of how badly Apple has done them, then how can they be trusted to deal fairly with the rest of us.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Apple will pass on the expense to the flock. I mean, the consumers....[/citation]
Lol, the Sheeple will cry wolf no doubt. I have to rub this in to my girlfriend. She's apart of that flock... :-/

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
If they don't have the ethics to deal fairly with Apple, regardless of how badly Apple has done them, then how can they be trusted to deal fairly with the rest of us.
Apple threw the first punch. Apple copies from other companies and then stands on their mountain declaring that what they stole is theirs and no company can even think about producing anything that is in the shape of a rectangle...... and it better not have rounded corners or we will sue you into the ground. You really can't believe what you just said. If technology = celebrities then Apple = Kim Kardasian. Kim shouldn't be loved but she is. The majority scratches their heads.

Apple shouldn't be buying anything from their biggest competitor.... This could explain why Samsung is always far ahead when it comes to tech.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]So those who complain about when Apple does things, cheer when other companies do it? Can we please stop the hypocrisy and hold ALL companies, and people, to the same standard.Fact is, Samsung could find itself in some antitrust trouble with this. Since Samsung is the top competitor to Apple in the smartphone market currently, courts could very well rule that Samsung is using their position as suppliers of iPhone CPU's to force Apple to raise their prices thus giving Samsung's phones an advantage.Behavior of this kind by both Apple and Samsung is only bad news for us the consumer.[/citation]
I'm sure there's quite a few things Apple could be sued for when it comes to anti-competitive...(the whole locked ecosystem of iOS, and strict approval procedure for app applications...Apple can simply deny an App if it directly competes with one of their own products...We will see soon if Apple denies Google an application for Google Maps on iOS6.

This is the first time Samsung as raised prices in almost 5 years. It boils down to economics and demand. Samsung has to raise the prices to be able to maintain the demand by investing into new fab plants. They don't just make processors, they make all kinds of chips. Its very well possible that the 20% is a little larger than anticipated due to the legal issues between the two companies, but that doesn't seem like the real motive.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
BREAKING NEWS!

Samsung is now raising memory, rams, and lcd screen for apple! Good luck Apple fannies, Apple is going to charge you up the @s$

Lmfao. Jobs was a bean counter. He didn't make anything revolutionary. He wasn't "scary" to anyone outside apple. where he was known as a Dick. His dying wish was for apple to go "thermonuclear" and be as big a dick as he was. When he knew he'd be dead and not have to deal with the reaction

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
I think this is actually bad for Samsung, as Apple will probably not renew its contract with Samsung, and the Asian company will lose a huge business partner. Not that this is a fight free relationship, but it defenetly brings profits to both companies, and this is soon to be over, but only on the Samsung side.

Read the article. Apple tried to leave but couldn't find another supplier. probably because they are suing everyone

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Thomas Creel[/nom]Too many people are hating on Apple, you are just proving that you are easily influenced. I think this is a pretty cheap shot personally.[/citation]
it's poetic justice after the courts upheld apple's cheap shot.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
...when they do it to apple after apple was a total jerk to them, absolutely yes. apple needs to be taught a lesson. if the courts won't do it, then other companies need to. apple put themselves in this position. they chose to rely on a single chipmaker and then sue them over BS. apple deserves more than this.

eaving

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Why 20%? Basing this on a several very iffy numbers, but one breakdown of the costs of the IPhone 5 guessed the cost of the A6 processor at $28. 20% of this would give us $5.6 a unit increase times the 200 million units guessed for 2012 in this article gives us just north of 1.1 billion dollars. Realizing there are all sorts of costs to Samsung in the making of the part and taxes in their sales, but I half suspect that Samsung simply went to their accountants and said exactly how much do we need to raise our charges to apple to cover the lawsuit in X months.

grit5

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Most of yal realize this is not only going to effect apple. Raising prices only to 1 company on a contract and not others would just invite lawsuits. Seems more likely that all custom ARM processors they make are gonna take a similar bump in price. Pretty sure or at least hope that apple isnt the only one making custom ARM processors for their devices

andrewmeyer23

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Unfortunately Samsung had to make this price increase because of the recent re-election of Obumma, they know the increased taxes and regulations are going to make it difficult, so they need to build up some additional profits to cover their losses.

maddy143ded

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

really now, no one in their right mind would say that samsung is in antitrust hot waters with this move,
this is just good business, and business also includes legal costs, so if Apple wants to impose legal costs on samsung then it has to pay for those increased costs...
only judge who would find samsung guilty of doing anything other then business are the one's who have been paid off by apple...

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Apple will lose profits and eat the additional production costs. Asian companies have a major advantage with local talent able to help manufacture electronic components so cheaply. I hope Apple will work with a US chip company but highly doubt it.[/citation]

Samsung IS a US chip company, they just spent billions on a fab plant in the US, well upgrading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.