News Samsung Introduces 1000R Curvature With 2020 Gaming Monitor Trio

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Well this sucks. I bought my C49RG9 this past year for $1,500 and it's 120hz. Didn't think they'd advance that quickly or else I would have waited. Especially since I can't even do 120hz with HDR on it! Have to drop to 100hz.

PBme

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
They are still doing the curve in a frustrating way. They are curving it all in the middle more than they are on the outer sections. The current model isn't nearly curved enough to keep the monitor an equal distance from your face at the edges as the middle. This looks like it will be better at that but is doing it by putting uneven distortion by curving even more in the middle instead of having an even curve across the space.

PBme

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
Well this sucks. I bought my C49RG9 this past year for $1,500 and it's 120hz. Didn't think they'd advance that quickly or else I would have waited. Especially since I can't even do 120hz with HDR on it! Have to drop to 100hz.
I sincerely doubt it is running at a real 240 hz, that is likely some overclock bs. But what it is probably going to do is utilize hdmi 2.1 or displayport 2.0 as the limitation on refresh rate is caused by the displayport 1.4 limitations at that resolution. Note that if this is the case, you'd have to wait until the new video cards come out as well.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The designers appear to be confusing the ideal focal point of a parabolic satellite dish with the ideal focal point of vision. The parabolic curve of a satellite dish will reflect incoming signals to a focal point where the signal detector is located, which is great. However, this parabolic focal point is NOT ideal for viewing purposes, since, as pointed out by others, it has a lot more curve in the middle and less as you travel outward.

PBme

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
Do these new monitors support mini LED display technology and/or do they use full array local dimming (FALD)?
No to the Mini LED, only multi-thousand dollar monitors (and TCL HDTV's) have that at these high-zone, mini-led backlights at the moment. The current version of these Samsungs use edge-lit zones that is about the same as not having any zones.

Apr 20, 2020
more curved nonsense, can't wait until Samsung actually releases a decent flat monitor? a curved 27 inch is far inferior to a flat one

There are plenty of good flat 27" monitors out there.

Hahaha you think your eyes can even tell the difference between 240 or 120. You poor fool falling for the marketing hype. You're probably too young to remember that 30 used to be the standard and 60 is perfectly fine even today.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
There are plenty of good flat 27" monitors out there.
Not VA. Those are all curved, AFAIK.

Hahaha you think your eyes can even tell the difference between 240 or 120. You poor fool falling for the marketing hype. You're probably too young to remember that 30 used to be the standard and 60 is perfectly fine even today.
Plenty of gaming sites have looked into the benefits of high-framerate displays, so I won't rehash those arguments here. If you're unfamiliar with them, you'd do well to educate yourself before advising others.

P.S. Nothing really used 30 Hz. TV used ~50 or ~60 Hz, but would refresh only the even/odd scanlines on each pass. However, TV cameras would capture each of those fields at a unique timepoint, rather than extract them from ~25 or ~30 fps progressive-scan captures. When digital video became inexpensive and you'd see such video on an interlaced TV, it would look almost jarring.

And as far as film is concerned, 24 Hz is a limitation filmmakers worked around. It wasn't perfectly fine for everything they wanted to do, but they learned to live within its limits.

Last edited:
Reactions: PBme