Question Samsung ML 2525W wireless printer won't connect by ethernet cable or wirelessly ?

decijp

Honorable
Feb 10, 2016
This printer was described as having "Dynamite performance, brutally poor instructions" in the most popular review on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...f=cm_cr_srp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B002ZIPKQO

In the past, I have used the very detailed instructions explained there to connect the printer. Haven't used printer for a while and now can't get it connected to wireless or by ethernet cable. Doesn't show up as being connected to my router when I use an ethernet connect to my Asus RT AX55 router. Doesn't show up as being connected to my Windows 7 computer. Have rebooted multiple times. As explained in Amazon article, amazingly, the printer doesn't connect when you try to use a USB connection. (Has always been this way even when working wirelessly.)

Got someone on Craigslist ad to try to fix it using team viewer. Never showed up on router when he tried multiple ways to get it to do so. Tried multiple IP Addresses and none worked. (When 1st got printer the Samsung Sync Thru, after a fair amount of work, could wireless connect with printer. Wireless LED light never comes on. Tried multiple USB cords and no connection made at all with computer. (Same as when I originally bought it).

This is a great working printer and with the price of printers so high, I would like to get it working.

decijp

Honorable
Feb 10, 2016
Try the installation manuals via HP:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/samsung-ml-2525-laser-printer-series/17156979/manuals

Double check and reinstall drivers:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

I also found this manual:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1336613/Samsung-Ml-2525w-Series.html?page=33#manual

Will the printer print out the Network Configuration Report per Page Network setup_29
I have reinstalled the drivers. Doesn't work. Have the manuals which are close to worthless. When I first bought the printer people at Samsung didn't have clue as to how to fix problem. The Amazon review I quoted was the only way out of the mess. Had other problems with a different Samsung printer which were solved with a Samsung update of drivers -- not this one.

If I could get some sort of wireless or ethernet connection where the printer shows on my computer, I have many screenshots from the past where I can probably solve this problem using syncthrough.

My son has a new Apple laptop. With USB connection, printer shows on his computer but printer doesn't work -- states "no location."

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
You mentioned Windows 7 - just how old is that printer? How long since the printer was last used and successfully printed?

Or otherwise actively responded to end user actions?

Will the printer print out the Network Configuration Report or otherwise perform any self-tests, cleanings, etc.?

Any status lights/LED's showing per Page Introduction _20?

Factory reset per Page Wireless Network setup_8.

May need a complete "do over".

decijp

Honorable
Feb 10, 2016
You mentioned Windows 7 - just how old is that printer? How long since the printer was last used and successfully printed?

Or otherwise actively responded to end user actions?

Will the printer print out the Network Configuration Report or otherwise perform any self-tests, cleanings, etc.?

Any status lights/LED's showing per Page Introduction _20?

Factory reset per Page Wireless Network setup_8.

May need a complete "do over".
Been 4 or 5 years since used. Will print a good quality test page now. Can't get the network information when I hit the button that is supposed to print it.

No LED lights showing. Manual I have seen doesn't seem to provide for factory reset and nothing on internet seems to show that it can be reset to factory settings. P 31 states network can be reset through Syncthru which I can't use.

Playing around with it, I noticed that it was set to LPT 1 port, which has to be wrong.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
You are welcome.

LPT 1 port: To be honest I have pretty much forgotten all about parallel ports.

Agree that that LPT 1 setting has to be wrong.

I looked at the manual again and there is no indication of a parallel port being installed (Page Introduction_ 19). Maybe a blank "placeholder".

Surprised that the "setting" (?) is even presented. Interesting.

decijp

Honorable
Feb 10, 2016
You are welcome.

LPT 1 port: To be honest I have pretty much forgotten all about parallel ports.

Agree that that LPT 1 setting has to be wrong.

I looked at the manual again and there is no indication of a parallel port being installed (Page Introduction_ 19). Maybe a blank "placeholder".

Surprised that the "setting" (?) is even presented. Interesting.
Turned out I had an old Linksys wrt 3200 Router and I tried it to no avail with my stuff. Left the 2525 hooked up to an Ethernet connection. Then yesterday my 16-yr-old daughter tried to print something from her 2 or 3 yr-old Macbook. Not intending to print on the 2525 (but on my 2020 Samsung) she hit print and her pages printed on the 2525. I have a cold or mild covid at this time so I am leaving her laptop alone until I have recovered. My speculation is that I set the 2525 to a static address that the Router remembered and when she printed the static address was linked to her laptop.

There should be some indications of the hookup on my daughter's laptop and I am hoping you can tell me what to look for so I can get to syncthru and connect to my window's 7 computer.

Ralston18

Titan
What router are you now using? The Asus RT AX55 router - correct?

You should be able to log into the router's admin screens and find a list of connected devices. Including your daughter's Macbook.

And the 2525 may be listed along with its' assigned static IP and MAC.

Use the following link to learn more about the MacBook's IP and subnet mask:

https://www.hellotech.com/guide/for/how-to-find-ip-address-on-mac

You can print out the instructions and have her try to find the MacBook network configuration settings. That information could help you with the router.

Also running "arp -a" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt on a couple of your windows systems may help discover the 2525 printer's IP address.

= = = =

Failing that there are other available tools that can be used.

FYI:

https://www.pcwdld.com/how-to-scan-network-for-ip-addresses

To start:

On your main computer run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.

For yourself do the same for other Windows computers on your network. No need to post those results.

Objective being to identify all devices by IP address and/or MAC. Including the 2525 printer.

Feel better.

decijp

Honorable
Feb 10, 2016
What router are you now using? The Asus RT AX55 router - correct?

You should be able to log into the router's admin screens and find a list of connected devices. Including your daughter's Macbook.

And the 2525 may be listed along with its' assigned static IP and MAC.

Use the following link to learn more about the MacBook's IP and subnet mask:

https://www.hellotech.com/guide/for/how-to-find-ip-address-on-mac

You can print out the instructions and have her try to find the MacBook network configuration settings. That information could help you with the router.

Also running "arp -a" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt on a couple of your windows systems may help discover the 2525 printer's IP address.

= = = =

Failing that there are other available tools that can be used.

FYI:

https://www.pcwdld.com/how-to-scan-network-for-ip-addresses

To start:

On your main computer run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.

For yourself do the same for other Windows computers on your network. No need to post those results.

Objective being to identify all devices by IP address and/or MAC. Including the 2525 printer.

Feel better.
The one thing I am doing that I didn't mention is running both routers at the same time. When I first hooked up the Linksys it had about 30 old devices listed. Couldn't get it to run the 2525 when it was sole router. Running the 2 routers at the same time doesn't appear to affect anything. In any event, I will try to find the ip addresses and get to syncthru, which worked well once I got to it before although it was a pain to get to.

Thanks again for your help.

Ralston18

Titan
Remember that only one router should be providing DHCP IP addresses.

The other router should have its' DHCP functions disabled making it a switch or perhaps an Access Point.

As you discover the various devices and their respective IP addresses put together a simple network diagram/sketch showing devices, connections, and IP addresses.

Having a view into the "big picture" will likely prove helpful.

Reactions: decijp

decijp

Honorable
Feb 10, 2016
Turns out I have a Samsung tablet which always easily connected to the printer. It did connect and I have the IP address and thank the lord, I am able to connect to Syncthru. Got a TP Link wireless adapter which showed the articular router "node" that was connected to my printer. (I called it Home 3 -- got from my daughter's Mac) Went to add printer and it added my 2525 and it works. Have no idea how my 2 routers will work together or screw each other up. In next couple of days will get to working with that.

Amazing after a long, long time, that I got this printer working. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
You are welcome.

You may find it handy/useful to sketch out a simple diagram of your home network showing all devices and physical connection paths.

Then record some key information beside each device: Device type device name, MAC, IP (DHCP or static), location, etc..

= = = =

As for two routers just ensure that only one router is allowed to provide DHCP IP addresses.

For most home networks that would be the main router with all subsequent routers having DHCP functions disabled making them basically a switch.

Most router manufacturers provide diagrams and instructions regarding such connections as well as Access Points and repeaters.

Easier, for the most part, if the routers etc. are from the same manufacturer. But not necessarily a requirement per se.

Go to the router manufacture's websites and download the router User Guide/Manuals.

Reactions: decijp