Question Samsung monitor and G-sync compatibility issues.

Sep 25, 2022
My brother is using the Samsung monitor S27R350 (75hz) and this monitor has AMD Free-sync, with HDMI and D-sub ports, and no DisplayPort.

He wants to utilize the Free-sync technology. Although he has an NVIDIA GPU 10 series (GTX 1650), I believe that we can still use Free-sync on an NVIDIA GPU bound desktop because I'm also using an AMD Free-sync monitor with a GTX 1650 and still be able to use G-sync, but the difference is that my monitor has a DisplayPort.

We did turn on the Free-sync option in the monitor settings, we did update his graphics cards driver to the latest. However, it did not work.

After that, I did a bit of digging into the cable ports because that's the only difference. Turns out that, to be able to use Free-sync on an NVIDIA GPU bound desktop, the monitor must have a DisplayPort 1.2 cable, which this monitor does not have.
So I'm just wondering, must I have an AMD Radeon graphics cards to be able to use Free-sync for this case? Or is there other ways? Please ask me if you need more information and I'll try my best to provide.

P/s: I also read somewhere that states If you want to use G-sync over HDMI, you must have a RTX 2080 Ti? Is this true?

After that, I did a bit of digging into the cable ports because that's the only difference. Turns out that, to be able to use Free-sync on an NVIDIA GPU bound desktop, the monitor must have a DisplayPort 1.2 cable, which this monitor does not have.
So I'm just wondering, must I have an AMD Radeon graphics cards to be able to use Free-sync for this case? Or is there other ways? Please ask me if you need more information and I'll try my best to provide.
In this situation, yes. Even getting something like an HDMI to DP adapter won't work, because the mechanism for VRR doesn't transfer across protocols.

P/s: I also read somewhere that states If you want to use G-sync over HDMI, you must have a RTX 2080 Ti? Is this true?
Not entirely. From https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...ork-on-both-displayport-and-hdmi-with-geforce
NVIDA GeForce GTX 16 series/RTX 20 series (Turing) and higher will support variable refresh rate over HDMI on displays which support this feature over HDMI 2.1. For the best gaming experience, we recommend a G-SYNC Compatible display.

Sep 25, 2022
In this situation, yes. Even getting something like an HDMI to DP adapter won't work, because the mechanism for VRR doesn't transfer across protocols.

Not entirely. From https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...ork-on-both-displayport-and-hdmi-with-geforce
Ah I see, so in conclusion. Since this monitor does not support VRR over HDMI 2.1, therefore it won't work regardless of the graphics cards I'm using from NVIDIA unless I have an AMD Radeon graphics cards, is that right?