Samsung OLED is Virtually Indestructible

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

really cool product. as long as they dont market it as indestructible they should be fine

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
holy crap anybody else amazed by how thin the oled screen is!? this IS the future!

P.S. Son dambi=awesome.

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
very cool. 5-10 years we'll all have at least one of these things in our possesion. But i got a question. What happens if you crease it. Not just bend it, but like bend the screen in half and then hammer at the crease. I'm assuming that's gotta do some damage, but idk.

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I can't believe how bright the screen is considering it's so small. Man, LCD's have nothing on this tech.

I'd like to see how much force it takes to actually destroy one. Like, if the guy bent it to the point of creasing etc.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Very impressive but "virtually indestructible" is a bit of a stretch. I'm not sure you could bend it much farther before it causes permanent damage and that doesn't screen "indestructible." And I hate to be the naysayer but he wasn't hitting that thing very hard with a hammer...

The technology looks simply amazing and I can't wait until we start seeing this in consumer electronics, wrist-watches, etc but let's not over-exaggerate. I wouldn't even describe an armored tank as virtually indestructible.

smashley

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Is it just me or was he pulling the hammer a bit before impact on the oled? A rubber mallet is one thing but if you carry it around in a pocket with a bunch of change for a week I bet it gets scratched up pretty bad. Or run it over with a car, either/or ;) Something about the suggestion that something is indestructible just makes me want to disprove that claim.

yoda8232

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Where's my OLED armored suit?
Think about it, make super camouflage with any surface (with the right programming) and be really strong..

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
[citation][nom]HibyPrime[/nom]I can't believe how bright the screen is considering it's so small. Man, LCD's have nothing on this tech.I'd like to see how much force it takes to actually destroy one. Like, if the guy bent it to the point of creasing etc.[/citation]

Thats because OLEDs dont require a back light, which also means great contrast. Just cant wait till these things in 22" cost what current TN panel LCD's cost. However with the ever inflating American dollar I may never be able to afford one.

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]joeman42[/nom]AM-OLED! AM- AM- AM-OLED!Did anyone else hear that music, or just me?[/citation]

it's a song sang by Son dambi and After school to promote the technology for samsung. hence my post above indicating she's awesome...

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
So they should market it as "virtually indestructable"

This would be perfect for gamers with tempers... Now can it hold up to a knife :)

I can't wait until this technology gets cheaper. However OLEDs don't have the life expectancy of a regular LCD, plasma or CRT TV.

liemfukliang

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
I hope Samsung has been fixing the major problem on LCD till today, that is 18 bit interpolation colors. I hope all OLED will be true 24 bit in all type panel.

G

Wow this is the first time ive been truely impressed by this tech.

Wonder how cheaply they can make it. And what the color/pixel density is.

If its cheap enough one wouldn't have to worry about longevity, just swap out the screen part with a new one a few years down the line.

sciencectn

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]yoda8232[/nom]Where's my OLED armored suit? Think about it, make super camouflage with any surface (with the right programming) and be really strong..[/citation]

You could probably combine it with magnetic ferrofluids which harden instantly with electric current to resist bullet impact, and muscle wires which contract in response to electric current. So, we've got 3 out of 4 for the nanosuit, not bad:

Cloak mode-OLED screens, except this would be more like adaptive camouflage instead of true cloaking
Armor mode-ferrofluids and pressure sensors
Strength mode-Muscle wire
Speed mode-Muscle wires...moving really fast.

Now all we need is for aliens to invade North Korea.

Status
Not open for further replies.