Samsung Posts Record $7.4 Billion Profit Thanks to Galaxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
You mean thanks to all of Apple's advertising.... i mean lawsuits.
It's like telling your teenage daughter to stay away from the bad boy.
Doesn't work very well. Samsung should really thank Apple.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
"...analysts believe it sold around 60 million smartphones during the quarter..." Just think how much profit they would be showing if they charged as much for their phones as Apple does.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]rpgplayer[/nom]"...analysts believe it sold around 60 million smartphones during the quarter..." Just think how much profit they would be showing if they charged as much for their phones as Apple does.[/citation]
They charged the same for the Galaxy S2 and S3, minus the extra memory.

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]rpgplayer[/nom]"...analysts believe it sold around 60 million smartphones during the quarter..." Just think how much profit they would be showing if they charged as much for their phones as Apple does.[/citation]

Probably a whole lot less because they wouldn't be able to command a premium like that. People would stop buying them. If they thought they could charge that much, Im sure they would. Samsung isnt trying to do everyone a favor by keeping phone costs down by reducing their profit margins.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012

Android users are independent thinkers. They are not iSheep so that strategy would not work so well on them.

ivanto

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012

Rogers Canada - side by side comparison:

Samsung Galaxy S III™ 16GB $159.99 on a 3y contract
iPhone 5 16GB Black $179.00 on a 3y contract

$20 is hardly a big difference.
-IvanTO

nuvon

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
iHaters are just as hard core Android fan as the Apple fan; Reading iHaters comments, you know they are just as irrational as the true Apple fan boy, no difference. The funniest thing is the iHaters think they are smarter than everyone else.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]ivanto[/nom]Rogers Canada - side by side comparison:Samsung Galaxy S III™ 16GB $159.99 on a 3y contractiPhone 5 16GB Black $179.00 on a 3y contract$20 is hardly a big difference. -IvanTO[/citation]
What you pay your provider for the phone is not what the phone costs. That's the whole "subsidized" thing you hear about, the carriers eat most of the cost to get you into a lucrative contract.

You have to compare off-contract prices, not on-contract. The top of the line iPhone is $849 off contract (fun fact, it costs $238 to build, including manufacturing costs) while the GS3 can be had for $599, less if you catch it on sale (I've seen it as low as $390). I'd say that's a pretty goddamn big difference.

Apple's phones are the most expensive with the biggest margins, and have been since the beginning. Why else do you think they make so much more money than the other manufacturers while selling a fraction of the devices?

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]nuvon[/nom]iHaters are just as hard core Android fan as the Apple fan; Reading iHaters comments, you know they are just as irrational as the true Apple fan boy, no difference. The funniest thing is the iHaters think they are smarter than everyone else.[/citation]
Fanboys in general have this behavior. It's been shown that fanboyism activates the same part of the brain as religion, which explains why you see so many similar behaviors between extreme fanboys and religious nutjobs. Deifying Steve Jobs (I'd mention an Android equivalent, but only the macolytes have gone this far), refusing to accept that your chosen platform is not perfect, viciously attacking those who have different opinions, etc. etc.

Is there anything religion can't fuck up for everyone?

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]I wonder how the Note 2's screen compares with S3's lovely screen.[/citation][citation][nom]youssef 2010[/nom]Let's see how the Note 2 affects samsung's profits[/citation]
I can tell you it'll be contributing at least one phone's worth of revenue, that's for sure. I was on the fence about what I was going to upgrade to...SIII, Note 2, 920, 8X...and then I tried a Note 2 yesterday, and settled that question. The Note 2 is absolutely going to be my next phone. Beautiful huge screen, surprisingly good handwriting recognition...it's just about perfect (for me, at least).

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I'm expecting the Note 2 to be the surprise hit of the year, much like the first Note was. Samsung proved there was a huge market for these stupidly huge phones, and they're the only ones in the game for now.

They're going to make bank until they get some competition up there.

jrodil

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I'm expecting the Note 2 to be the surprise hit of the year, much like the first Note was. Samsung proved there was a huge market for these stupidly huge phones, and they're the only ones in the game for now. They're going to make bank until they get some competition up there.[/citation]

Well LG is trying... miserably I believe haha!

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
The phone prices are way overpriced because the damn subsidies and deals between the mobile carriers and manufacturer. Top end smartphones should cost less than $400 to buy without contract. No wonder they are making so much money.

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
their margins are about the same on the S3. They sell lots of other shitty phones with low margins hence cant charge what apple does for those phones.

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]What you pay your provider for the phone is not what the phone costs. That's the whole "subsidized" thing you hear about, the carriers eat most of the cost to get you into a lucrative contract. You have to compare off-contract prices, not on-contract. The top of the line iPhone is $849 off contract (fun fact, it costs $238 to build, including manufacturing costs) while the GS3 can be had for $599, less if you catch it on sale (I've seen it as low as $390). I'd say that's a pretty goddamn big difference.Apple's phones are the most expensive with the biggest margins, and have been since the beginning. Why else do you think they make so much more money than the other manufacturers while selling a fraction of the devices?[/citation]

they don;t sell a fraction. They sell the most high end phones. You forget about all the phones at 7/11 made by samsung. And don't compare the cost of the iphone which no one buys to a "sale price" whats the cheapest iphone 5 go for.

btw I own a nano and thats it from apple. I'm using a evo lte right now and had the og evo before this.

Status
Not open for further replies.